Print this page Notes: Top complaints for the 2006 Chevy Impala include how the transmission slips, clunks and fails. Or how the power steering knocks and squeals. In other words, this car is a noisy bucket of eventual failure points.

2006 Chevrolet Impala brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Impala:

2006 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

May 082016

Takata recall my windows stop working all together my car some time dont go when I push the gas it will jerk real hard and then some times it takes along time to brake and this been a on going thing but when I called the dealer they gave me a hard time about if there where any recalls about

- Norcross, GA, USA

Apr 102016

Ongoing issue with error message relating to "service traction control" "reduced engine power" appeared 4/10/2016. Ongoing history and service related to throttle position and sensor (also serviced) codes P2176; P 2135. 8/1/15 I have addressed through replacing of throttle position and sensor; battery cable (dealership svc dept suggested low voltage related to this issue - retested, issue continues) parts store has suggested "throttle actuator control module P 1516' codes also include P0121, PO2135, P2119 found pmc to be faulty -- "repair and replaced" 12/30/2014; throttle body assembly replaced on April 5, 2014. This has been an ongoing issue for two years. Engine power drops and car will only drive at a low speed < 40mph. This is when the car is in motion. Various attempts to resolve the problem have been unsuccessful. This issue began at apx 140K miles and has reoccurred at 166L, 167K, 180K, 193K. Speeds that it has occurred has been at highway speeds of 60-65mpg to residential 25-35mph. Records have services dates are available; too many to upload all.

- Plattsmouth, NE, USA

Apr 192015

Impala 6-cyl

I was turning off of elberton road onto veribest road & I heard the front tire made a knocking sound about 3 times while turning & continued to drive after the car felt okay, then I felt as if the car dropped or the tire was coming off & the steering wheel locked up, traction control light started to blink & the brakes went out & we crash due to me not having control of the vehicle! me & my 3 kids were badly injured!

- Lexington, GA, USA

Aug 012014

Impala 6-cyl

Service traction control light appeared on the dashboard, reducing power to the engine and lowering driving speed on a busy highway nearly causing an accident. Car jerks and power locks turn off and on. Power to steering and braking also reduced. This is unsafe!

- Milan, OH, USA

May 042014

I was driving 35mph down my road in my Impala. The engine light came on and a traction control/reduced engine power message came on. The car suddenly slowed to 20mpg and I almost got rear ended. I was told by a mechanic that this is a hugely popular issue with this car and Chevy refuses to fix it. This is dangerous as I almost lost control when this happened.

- Hudson, NH, USA

Mar 102014

Impala 6-cyl

Driving 65 speed limit, traction control light and engine light came on. Traction control alternates with engine power reduced. Slowed vehicle to 40 mph. Other cars dangerously close and blowing horns. Pulled off road, opened hood shut off engine. Found nothing wrong. Restarted everything normal except engine light still on but power is available. This cycle repeats every few days. There are many people with this problem. About time GM sheds some light on the problem.

- La Crosse, VA, USA

Nov 292013

Engine light came on, "reduced traction control" light came on, power was drastically reduced and then "reduced engine power" light came on. Car has a problem that needs to be addressed, but cutting off power and acceleration while I'm making a turn with oncoming traffic or driving 70+ mph is not a safe way of addressing that problem. I can turn off the car and regain power. Nearly any other way of addressing the code would be infinitely better than killing power while driving. It is not safe.

- North Liberty, IA, USA

Jun 062011

Impala 6-cyl

My traction control, ABS and service brake assist light continue to come on despite the fact that I have had the sensors replaced 3 times now. I will hear a growling noise when I put on the brakes or get a foul smell when I turn on the defrost, also when I get that smell the defrost doesn't work properly then later the ABS, traction control and brake assist light will come on. I have had a Chevy dealer and the dealer I bought the car from check the problem and say its fixed 3 times but the problem continues.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Sep 082011

Impala 6-cyl

There is a loud tapping noise when you turn the A/C temp knob or try and change the air flow. The noise sounds like it comes from the passenger airbag area. The noise started when we bought the car on March 16,2010 but it only sound when we would change the air flow button. But today on September 8,2011 it started to make a faster louder tapping in the same place but this time in addition to the air flow bottom now its triggered by the A/C temperature knob. The noise is embarrassing as we as annoying!

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 272008

I'm a faithful customer of S&J since childhood and my mother purchased her vehicles there. Up to this point I thought I could trust your service department to do honest work on my 2006 Chevy Impala. Indeed this did not happen! my vehicle has returned about 8 times for same or similar problem. Fernado is a great customer attendant, but he does not work on my car, so what I feel is not directed towards him. Here is a list of chain of events that I have inquired since ownership of my "new-used" Chevy in Feb. 2007. I have a new Chevy Impala. Within a year of ownership, the car has been to the dealer 8 times for major repairs (none due to my own fault)!

- Los Angeles, CA, USA