Print this page Notes: Top complaints for the 2006 Chevy Impala include how the transmission slips, clunks and fails. Or how the power steering knocks and squeals. In other words, this car is a noisy bucket of eventual failure points.

2006 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Impala:

2006 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jun 072006

We have a 2006 Chevy Impala and the steering locks up. It locks up at varying speeds and varying lengths of time. Yesterday we were forced off the road because the steering would not work. The mechanics say they don't know what it is. Fortunately there was no one along side us when we crossed the other lanes of traffic.

- Gordon, WI, USA

Apr 302009

2006 Impala ss power steering leak. Driving and suddenly lost power steering. I had to have towed in and cost me over $300 to repair.

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Mar 202009

I was driving my vehicle to work in heavy traffic in the middle lane of major Michigan highway (I-75). As I headed into a right curve on the highway, my vehicle began to make a very loud squealing noise under the hood and my steering wheel pulled out of my hands, and the vehicle began to pull back straight. It became very difficult to steer my vehicle to the right, so I pull out of traffic as quickly as possible. Once I was able to pull off to the shoulder of the highway, I shut my vehicle off. I took my car to the closest Chevrolet dealership for an inspection. The service department explained to me that the power steering line had burst, causing a rapid loss of power steering fluid and lack of vehicle control. They replaced the defective line at a total cost of $438. I reluctantly paid for the repairs after finding out this defect was not covered by the "GM certified 100,000 mile powertrain warranty". what I fail to understand is why would a product that serves such a vital safety feature in a vehicle, not be held to higher quality standards and be covered for a longer period of time. Based on the recent number of incidents reported by consumers for this same year, make and model, I feel this type of defect needs to recalled by GM before serious injuries or lives are lost. I don't think I have been more panicked behind the wheel than I was at that time.

- Clio, MI, USA

Mar 202009

I was driving vehicle and went to turn onto my street and power steering failed causing loss of steering and came close to hitting a utility pole. Upon inspection I noticed hydraulic piping for the power steering had sprung a leak. In searching for a bulletin I discovered #060232014. NHTSA campaign#10020769. I have set an appointment at a dealership to repair. However, this incident could have had fatal outcome. I believe that this goes beyond a service bulletin and should be further invesigated. Loss of life should not be the determining factor.

- Greenbush, MI, USA

Jan 232009

On Friday, Jan. 23, 2009 I experienced a loss of steering on my 2006 Impala ltz mileage 45,500. While driving on a dual lane hwy. When the traffic light allowed I tried to turn left, steering very stiff I pulled over, raised hood saw smoke, called dealer was told could not get repairs until Monday. I called tow truck as it was covered under my extended warranty. I asked about a loaner car, none available, extended warranty paid all but deductible. I picked up the car on Monday seemed okay, after leaving work place Tuesday afternoon, lost my steering again was able to drive back to dealer about five miles, was told the hose hadn't seated properly took an hour for repairs this time. Today stiffness returning. Will look for another car soon, lost confidence in GMC products. Please recall for this problem before somebody gets hurt.

- Havre De Grace, MD, USA

Jan 302009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasions for failures with the heater blowing cool air, the gear shift changing incorrectly, and the tire monitor indicator constantly illuminating. On January 30, 2008, the contact drove approximately 25 miles. She then pulled into the driveway and noticed smoke underneath the hood, followed by flames. She quickly extinguished the fire and the vehicle was towed to the dealer. It was diagnosed that the power steering hose failed and caused the fluid to leak. The vehicle will be repaired. The current and failure mileages were 51,000.

- Verona, VA, USA

Feb 042009

I pulled out of the driveway and the car's power steering was limited. I thought it was just because it was a very cold morning, and it started working properly. I checked the fluid when I stopped and it seemed fine. A week later, I pull out of the driveway and the same thing! my husband checked the fluid and it was low. When I returned home, not only was there a bunch of fluid on the driveway, but you could see how I pulled out and the stream of fluid of where I went. Thank goodness, I learned to drive on a Jeep that had no power steering!!! if it had been one of my teenagers, it would have been a different story. From what I have read, this is a major issue and Chevrolet needs to step up and place a recall on these hoses!!!

- Silvis, IL, USA

Feb 042009

Last March, 2008 power steering went out of car, so took to mechanic. After paying over $400 to repair hose and power steering pump on car that had only 30,000 miles. Now in February of 2009, less than one year later, I have the same problem with the power steering going out again. I see that there are alot of complaints about this same thing. I think GM should do something about it and launch a recall to fix the problem before someone gets hurt seriously or worse killed.

- Milladore, WI, USA

Jan 202009

Without warning, the power steering "went out" on my car as I was driving down the road. I sensed the stiffness in the steering, was on a very straight road, and was able to slow the car and bring it to a stop. Had I been on a road with curves, I would most certainly have had a bad accident. I had the car towed to a dealership for repair, and when I picked it up I noted this on the description: "customer states car has no power steering. Cause: Improperly sealed. " further: "diagnose and replace split power steering cooler pipe hose and per bulletin 060232014." I don't know if this is a reference that is strictly "how to repair this problem" or if this indicates that this is a noted problem. If so, it should be a recall! my car has less than 30,000 miles and has been driven very conservatively. If this problem has occurred with any frequency, then it is a dangerous condition that requires a recall. When the power steering goes out completely and without warning, and you're on the expressway or a road with curves, a serious traffic accident is bound to occur.

- Swartz Creek, MI, USA

Jan 142009

First the wheel had a shimmy in it. The rotors were replaced and new brakes. That wasn't it. It was the front ball joint. 2. car wouldn't heat up. Radiator cap replaced at dealer for 45 dollars. Rear defogger quit working. 4. power steering out now and it feels like the rack and pinion going to fail. Car no longer under warranty now with 64K. I am tired of this lemon.

- Ionia, MI, USA

Jul 152007

Loss of power steering assist due to blown hose and complete loss of fluid. Approximately 65,000 miles. Paid for repair myself.

- Durand, MI, USA

Jan 052009

I own a 2006 Chevrolet Impala ls with 45,500 miles on it. In December 2008, I experienced wobbling in my front left tire. The outer tie rod was broken and had to be replaced. The tires were severely and unevenly worn, requiring a new set of tires due to bad alignment, and now I am hearing and feeling vibrations and clunking in the steering column. A google search revealed dozens of similar and recurrent steering column and alignment problems and complaints with both the 2006 and 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The replacement of the steering column is only a temporary fix. It comes back. I did not purchase an extended warranty, but GM does not regard this as being covered in the extended warranty outside of 36,000, anyway. Several have complained of steering failures and lock-ups which resulted in both injuries as well as damage to property and other vehicles. This is clearly a problem that can have fatal results if not corrected. Consumers should not have to pay to correct this problem. Replacement of the steering column would incur an out-of-pocket cost exceeding $1,000. Please issue a recall, if not for me, then for the people for whom the problem has not begun to occur and spare them injury and/or death.

- Danville, VA, USA

Dec 152008

Pulling out of driveway steering was hard pulled back in and noticed fluid on the pavement which ended up being power steering fluid. Inspected under the hood and found the leak was coming from the return hose from the power steering pump. Took to local Chevrolet dealer and it was fixed. After I had my car back for 6 days the same hose blew a hole in it in a different spot. Took to the dealer two days ago and they replaced it again picking up tomorrow. I constantly hear about other having the same problem on Chevy's mainly Impala' and it seems to be primarily the 2006 model. This is ridiculous that there is no recall on this. I've called GM and they are no help at all and seem to just ignore this ongoing problem. Something has to be done about this before someone is seriously hurt in an accident due to the loss of power steering.

- Hunlock Creek, PA, USA

Jan 052008

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 55 mph, the steering wheel locked up and was unable to be turned. The vehicle swerved off the road and crashed into several trees, and then overturned. A police report was filed. There were three people in the vehicle at the time. The driver sustained a concussion and heavy bruising. The rear seat passengers were children and they received major cuts, which needed stitching. The vehicle was towed to a repair facility, but has not yet been diagnosed. The vehicle was considered to be destroyed. The current and failure mileages were 52,000. Updated 3/16/09 */cn updated 03/20/09.

- Upper Malboro, MD, USA

Dec 212008

I purchased the 2006 Impala in 11/2006 when stopping the steering and front end shakes and vibrates. 1st the keyless remotes stop working which included my automatic start not working that happened 12/7. I am a trooper so I waited took my car to the Chevy dealer 4/08 and they said there was a recall on the system so they fixed that and my tire monitoring system(which went out again on 12/1/08). My seatbelts wont lock in you have to force it hard several times and then still comes out on both the passenger and drivers side. My rear left door stop wrkg 6/08 1st the door would not close now it does not open at all. On 12/21/08 the power steering went out while driving at 55mph on the expressway. Also the heat stop working and the rear defrost 12/16/08 and it is freezing in Chicago. Took car to dealership and of course the warranty was expired so I was stuck paying the $300 bill for the power steering. My husband refused to pay the $400 for them to replace the thermostat and thermostat gasket. Well two days later car is back in the shop because now 1/3/09 the water pump is leaking waiting on a callback now from the authorized mechanic with the final report on what all is wrong with this car that just came from the other authorized shop on 12/21. Mind U the car was only driven like 4 miles B4 the other problems started happening. I have had it with this car. I will send in more information when I get the final verdict on the death trap from the authorized mechanic when he calls me back today 1/3/08.

- Markham, IL, USA

Dec 252008

While driving on the publicway, power steering cease to operate, steering became almost nil. This is the first time that this happen, there was no prior warning, steering just went out. Vehicle was taken in to have power steering hose replaced.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 052008

During March 2008 the power steering pump kept breaking on the 2006 Impala, we had to take it in 5 times during March through April to repair it, and now December 5th 2008, the same problem occurred again, it could of been dangerous if the power steering faulted during driving, and a crash could of been caused because of the power steering.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Nov 172008

I have a 2006 ss Impala I've had nothing but on going problems. 1st waterpump went out then 2nd driver tie rod was replaced 3rd powersteering hose replaced 4th battery went dead 5th power steering hose out again and tie rod on passenger needs replaced also. I'm so fed up with this car and its problems!these have been on going problems since 2006.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 262008

I was driving at approx. 50 miles an hour on a major highway when the steering wheel froze. I could not move the steering wheel and started to veer into the next lane. Luckily, there was no one in the right lane next to me. No injuries or accidents occurred. The vehicle is less than 2 years old and had approx. 26,000 miles on it. The car was towed to the Chevrolet dealership and the power steering mechanism was replaced with a newly designed system. The mechanic informed me that this was the 6th replacement of such a device for the Impala.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

May 012008

Impala 6-cyl

Moaning noise when turning at low speeds, and loud shrieking noise when accelerating. Thought it was power steering pump &/or alternator. I look under hood and ground ps fluid on ground, ps fluid was leaking out of the bellows boot on the rack and pinion. Took to dealer and was told the spool seal and the input seal were leaking in the rack and pinion. Luckily I was able to get the rack replaced under warranty. But 1 month later, the new rack developed a leak from the same input seal that was bad on the oe rack. Dealer replaced it again under warranty.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA