2007 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Impala:

2007 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 302015

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. While driving various speeds, the vehicle made an abnormal knocking noise in the steering column. The contact stated that the control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, ball joints, front shocks, and axle were replaced on the vehicle; however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09E005000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Sep 262016

Impala

Steering gear mount broke and caused sudden complete steering lose due to catastrophic failure of rack and pinion steering system. When the mount broke the steering housing containing the power steering fluid and power steering fluid hoses broke resulting in loss of steering. Pictures show missing mount, broken housing and hoses. Wow! no one was hurt because failure happened in church parking. Pays to go to church.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Sep 212016

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. When the brakes were applied, they failed to respond and the vehicle crashed into trees. The air bags did not deploy. The contact was injured and received medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Ravenswood, WV, USA

Jul 282016

Impala

I was traveling on the interstate at about 60 mph going uphill. I did not have it in cruise control. Iwas passing a semi. Suddenly the steering became very difficult, and the brakes seemed hard to push. I finally managed to get the car off the road and stopped. I put in park and got out to check and see if one of the tires had blown out, I left it running. The tires were fine. I got back in and put it in gear and eased down on the gas to see how it was going to go. It did fine, I drove it the rest of the day and it seemed to be normal. I am concerned this could be connected to the ignition recall back in 2014 and worry that it might happen again. My husband is attempting to get it looked at by mechanic.

- Olive Hill, KY, USA

May 092016

Impala

The rack and pinion is out of the car. I bought the car in March of 2016 and the steering has locked up on me. I was driving the car.

- Covington, KY, USA

Sep 152014

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while stopped, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained neck and back injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but was not diagnosed however, the body damage was repaired. In addition, the contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact also mentioned that the front and rear driver side, and the rear passenger windows failed to operate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 012016

Impala

The steering column squeaks when turning whether it's left or right turn. Accelerating only 20 mph at 2,000 RPM at the start of a green light from a complete stop on red or it jerks when accelerating after a stop at a red light like it has difficulty shifting out of 1st gear.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

May 082015

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at various speeds and accelerating, the vehicle stalled, the steering wheel locked up, and the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing; however, the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 118,000.

- Natchez, MS, USA

Aug 042015

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. While backing out of a parking space, the power steering seized. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering shaft loosened or fractured. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 16,160.

- Fredericksburg, TX, USA

May 262015

Impala 6-cyl

I was turning left onto a street and as I proceeded to turn my steering wheel locked up and which caused me to crash and hit a curve with my friend in the front seat and my son in the back and as I hit the curve my car shut off.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Mar 242015

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that there was no failure with the electronic power steering until the contact received a manufacturer recall for the power steering. While traveling approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel veered to the left without warning. The contact had to apply extreme force to the vehicle to get the steering wheel to turn. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer. A mechanic test drove the vehicle and indicated that the failure was recurring even though the dealer replaced the part for the recall. The dealer did not indicate if the component was defective. It failed a second time, which indicated that the power steering sensor lost control to the body control module causing a failure. The dealer indicated that after replacing the power steering angle sensor more than twice, the body control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for further inspection and diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 49,900. Updated 02/05/16

- Middletown, NY, USA

Mar 172015

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at 30 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning and the contact heard an abnormal noise. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated the steering sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 31,000.

- Galeburg, IL, USA

Jun 122013

Impala

I was pulling up to the hospital to pickup my husband who had surgery. And had no steering. Had it towed in and they said the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. Cost $800 then had to take it back for more work. The steering is acting up again. Has there been a recall on this problem. All the cars we have owned and have never had a problem with rack and pinion.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jun 162014

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the power steering fluid was leaking. The contact mentioned that the power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that it was difficult to stop the vehicle due to faulty back brakes. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,325.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 312014

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 70 mph over a bump in the road, the steering wheel seized. As a result, the contact crashed the vehicle into a street sign and a gate. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Beaumont , TX, USA

Mar 012013

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 65 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled without warning. An independent mechanic was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Impala

The traction control and ABS keep coming on at random times. When you turn left or right it grinds and the car acts like it don't want to move. And the time that it grinds the traction control and ABS light comes on.

- Kimball , MI, USA

Apr 212014

Impala 6-cyl

My steering wheel became very hard to turn and I noticed I had puddles of something under my car where ever I parked. I was putting fluid in twice a day just so I would be able to turn my steering wheel to get back and forth to work. I finally had the money to take it to a mechanic and he said that I had a whole in my power steering line or cooler. Probably both but he said it was spraying every where. I haven't even had this car for a year yet and I bought it from a reputable dealer. Even though it was used they looked it over very well for me because my mom knows the owner. I can't afford to have this fixed nor can I afford to keep putting power steering fluid in daily. This is a big problem and I know if not taken care of soon it will turn into bigger problems.

- Hazel Park, MI, USA

Apr 142014

Impala

I was going over the vehicle for the season and found I had a leak in the power steering line. The line effected was covered with a ribbed plastic sheathing like what is used for a wire harnesses. The sheathing caused road salt to build up and corrode the line, causing a leak and loss of power steering. There were two lines held together, side by side, with a plastic bracket but only one of those had the sheathing and I cannot understand why it was there. I also found a wire that overheated and melted the insulation and left the wire bare. It's located behind the power steering pump as viewed from the passenger side of the engine compartment under the plastic that displays the engine size. The plastic is held down with a couple of pins that the plastic pushes down over when installed. The dealer couldn't tell me what the wire is for when I called to explain what I found.

- Kenduskeag, ME, USA

Feb 252014

Impala 6-cyl

Steering spills oil and hard to turn rear brake tire pressure sensor is on.

- Hilliard, OH, USA