2007 Chevrolet Impala steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Chevrolet Impala (Page 1 of 4)

2007 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Impala:

2007 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jun 162014

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the power steering fluid was leaking. The contact mentioned that the power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that it was difficult to stop the vehicle due to faulty back brakes. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,325.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 312014

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 70 mph over a bump in the road, the steering wheel seized. As a result, the contact crashed the vehicle into a street sign and a gate. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Beaumont , TX, USA

Mar 012013

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 65 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled without warning. An independent mechanic was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Impala

The traction control and ABS keep coming on at random times. When you turn left or right it grinds and the car acts like it dont want to move. And the time that it grinds the traction control and ABS light comes on.

- Kimball , MI, USA

Apr 212014

Impala 6-cyl

My steering wheel became very hard to turn and I noticed I had puddles of something under my car where ever I parked. I was putting fluid in twice a day just so I would be able to turn my steering wheel to get back and forth to work. I finally had the money to take it to a mechanic and he said that I had a whole in my power steering line or cooler. Probably both but he said it was spraying every where. I haven't even had this car for a year yet and I bought it from a reputable dealer. Even though it was used they looked it over very well for me because my mom knows the owner. I can't afford to have this fixed nor can I afford to keep putting power steering fluid in daily. This is a big problem and I know if not taken care of soon it will turn into bigger problems.

- Hazel Park, MI, USA

Apr 142014

Impala

I was going over the vehicle for the season and found I had a leak in the power steering line. The line effected was covered with a ribbed plastic sheathing like what is used for a wire harnesses. The sheathing caused road salt to build up and corrode the line, causing a leak and loss of power steering. There were two lines held together, side by side, with a plastic bracket but only one of those had the sheathing and I cannot understand why it was there. I also found a wire that overheated and melted the insulation and left the wire bare. It's located behind the power steering pump as viewed from the passenger side of the engine compartment under the plastic that displays the engine size. The plastic is held down with a couple of pins that the plastic pushes down over when installed. The dealer couldn't tell me what the wire is for when I called to explain what I found.

- Kenduskeag, ME, USA

Feb 252014

Impala 6-cyl

Steering spills oil and hard to turn rear brake tire pressure sensor is on.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Feb 012014

Impala 6-cyl

Recalls subject: Steering knuckle breaking/loss of steering control report receipt date: 2/17/2009 NHTSA campaign number 09E005000 component(s) steering I did not know about this recall. I noticed this recall while checking website at pepboys.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 122007

Impala

The steering goes out when driving through rain or even a very small puddle. The power steering or steering wheel locks up and the car cannot be controlled for a few seconds and/or minutes.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Aug 062013

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the front end made a loud winning noise at various speeds. The contact's personal mechanic inspected the power steering fluid and found that the power steering fluid was foaming. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for further diagnostic testing, which located the failure at the steering rack and pinion. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also wanted to state that the steering wheel intermediated shaft was replaced at 43,798 miles. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 73,000. Updated 9/10/13 this consumer no longer awns this vehicle. The vehicle was traded in. Updated 09/13/2013

- Clarendon , PA, USA

Jul 012013

Impala 8-cyl

This issue occurs when turning during low speeds which includes pulling out of the driveway, parking spots and intersections. When I turn the steering wheel to make a turn, the ABS engages which causes a reduction of power and forced braking. This happens during any type of weather and on any type of surface pavement, the car is not experiencing any real loss of traction, the ABS simply is engaging in error. This has the potential to become incredibly dangerous, if this were to occur at an inopportune time, my cars ABS may engage while I am at an intersection, or making a left turn while traffic is oncoming. If the ABS were to engage I would not be able to avoid collision.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Aug 012011

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced numerous failures with the steering wheel, the engine, the brakes, and sudden acceleration. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic and the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was advised that fluid was leaking at the engine, the power steering wheel and the brake lines. The contact was unsure of the exact repairs however, the failure was not corrected. The sudden acceleration failure was recently experienced and was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000 and the approximate current 90,000.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jun 052013

Impala 6-cyl

I had been driving for about five hours at speeds of 70 mph. Stopped at a fast food place and pulled in to the pay window and heard a clunk. When pulling away from the window making a slight left turn, the right front wheel locked 70 degrees right and I stopped. Towed to a Chevy dealer and he informed me the tie rod to the wheel stripped out of the connector rod bolt. The stripped portion was about 1 and a quarter inches. This had to take a while to strip out with no indications of a problem before hand and the alignment had appeared to still be fine. I have the two components and can send pictures or the components themselves.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jun 142013

Impala 6-cyl

This is an addition to complaint #10515524 and 10519582. I went back to parks Chevrolet to get a break down for customer service Chevrolet about my Impala. Dealer stated that the boot at steering colum needs to be replaced and will lubricate at no charge when replacing power steering rack $830 plus tax and all wheel aligment $79.95, I had wheel aligment done April 23, 2013 for $79.95 at dealership. Also the clapping noise from the air conditioner, the recir acuator door is faulty est price $271. This is from the manufactor when car was assembled. When will you have them to recall these 2007 Impala's.

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Jun 042013

Impala 6-cyl

I notice a funny sound when turning the steering wheel. I drove over to the dealership to have them look at it. I was told the power steering rack seals are starting to leak. I did some research and found out that a lot of 2007 Impala's is having the same problem in different states. I see a lot of complaints to NHTSA but no one is requesting a recall to fix this problem I can not understanding why. GMC is aware of the problem. I was told by the dealership I have to pay $830 + tax to replace the power steering rack, should not GMC pay for this since they are aware of the problem or do someone have to lose their life when the steering freezes up. I had a problem with rear end suspension wearing out three set of tires three years ago at only 5000 miles. I had to go through a lot to get that fixed. I've contacted GMC about this problem and waiting for their response. Please have these cars recalled. Thank you

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Apr 052012

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when turning the steering wheel, it would exhibit a squeaking noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they advised the contact that the steering column needed to be lubricated. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified and advised the contact that the steering shaft needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 40,000. Updated 05/08/13 updated 06/10/2013

- Inkster, MI, USA

Jan 262012

Impala

As I was driving on the highway, suddenly reduced engine power came up on the dash board. Followed by the steering wheel locking up and the car shutting off. After 20 minutes the car started again, but now I drive witha constant fear of this happening again, and what if my children are in the car next time! I have a constant issue with the power steering line leaking, although I have replaced the pump, and the fuel line. I feel like I am throwing my money into a bottom less pit. What do I do from here?

- Brooklyn , NY, USA

Jan 242013

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, a loud whining noise was heard from the steering wheel as the power steering assist failed. The contact experienced extreme difficulty in maintaining control of the vehicle. The contact merged to the road shoulder, powered off and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic, who diagnosed that the power steering pressure line hose needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance because the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure and the current mileage was 175,284.

- Cordova, SC, USA

Oct 172008

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while having the vehicle inspected, it was discovered that both the rear passenger and driver side tires were wearing unevenly. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The failure mileage was 144,000 and the current mileage was 145,000.

- Dermott, AR, USA

Oct 102010

Impala 6-cyl

Traveling down fm 247 South in huntsville, tx. @ posted speed of 60 mph around the time of about 1:10 pm, when my rear tires involuntarily swerved causing my vehicle to steer cross lanes and crash off road onto grassy and wooded shoulder. Crashed into debris including trees limbs, stumps. Crash caused personal injury and damage to vehicle. The consumer stated GM was well aware that the Chevrolet Impala's were within the recalled VIN breakpoint. They were equipped with an identical frame, chassis, suspension, spindle rods as the police package listed for the recall. Updated 08/09/12 updated 08/14/12 the consumer is requesting NHTSA policy when an auto manufacturer is to file a recall with the public. Updated 05/08/14

- Houston, TX, USA