2008 Chevrolet Impala drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jun 172012

Impala

My car shut off with a reduced engine power message with my two small children in the car while the car was in motion.

- Lansdowne, PA, USA

Mar 012012

Impala 6-cyl

Reduce power light comes on. Cars speed drastically reduces. If you pull over and wait for about ten minutes and restart the car, it resets itself.

- Hibbing, MN, USA

May 312012

Impala

I was traveling on a highway near to my home, and for about a month now the vehicle has come up with an error stating "reduced engine power". suddenly, the vehicle simply stalled itself, coming up with a message that stated "starting disabled/service throttle". I was traveling uphill at 40mph, now with no power brakes, no power steering, and the engine completely shut off and unable to restart. Luckily I was able to pull over and disconnect the battery and reconnect it to restart it. What if this had happened on a highway on or off ramp" or on a corner? or with a vehicle traveling behind me" I believe any vehicle that will just randomly turn itself off due to a part that has had hundreds of complaints that I've just read online is unsafe to be driven on America's highways. I read online that this was a prevalent problem with these vehicles, and I hope I get injured because of it so I can sue GM.

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Feb 122012

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the gear shift would not release from the park position. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer to have a diagnostic test performed, but the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the failure was not recalled and denied assistance with the repairs. The failure and current mileages were 39,211. The VIN information was not available.

- Aurora , IL, USA

Dec 132010

Impala

Safety issue - vehicle looses power and control. The service stabiltrak and no power to the engine service lights appear and the car looses control and power while driving... multiple incidents GM dealer could not identify/fix. This recurring issue is a serious safety concern driving down the road in the snow loosing power and control will cause accidents/injury.

- Bethel , MN, USA

Jul 172011

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that after the vehicle was turned on it would not shift out of the park position. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who did not diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were approximately 50,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 282011

Impala 6-cyl

2008 Impala, each time I drive through water at slow speeds, the power steering locks up and the battery error signal illuminates. The car does not handle whatsoever and there have been near misses on three occasions. This has not proven to be an issue on the highway or on roads at higher speeds over 25 mph. I inquired at the dealership and they were not helpful as the warranty has run out on the vehicle.

- Madison, MS, USA

Dec 102010

Impala 6-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Impala gearshift could not be moved from "park". towed to don brown Chevrolet (after tow driver disconnected shift linkage). Diagnosed as "test and trace ground circuit to broken wire in center console". talked to service manager who reported that technician stated wires moved when the shifter was moved which likely caused wire to break separate. Potential for driver to be "stuck" in park in a risky / unsafe situation exists.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Aug 172010

Impala

Yesterday, my Chevy 08 Impala would not shift out of park. I contacted aaa who was unable to help me. I had my car towed to a car mechanic. He told me that the problem was that the wiresunder the gear shift lever had come unattached. I was told that even though Chevy was aware of this problem there was not a recall and my manufacturer's warranty would not cover it because the bumper to bumper was over at 36, 000 miles. I had to pay $ 91 to have the wires reconnected back into the piece even though the problem is that the wires are to short to begin with and that is why they can become tangled and tear out of the connecting piece. I do not think that it is fair for the consumer to have to pay for this when it is clearly a manufacture defect..

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 312008

Impala

GM advertises that mileage for average highway driving is 28 mpg. The car does not meet or even come close to this standard. I have tested mileage with 100% highway driving and the max mpg is 23. With some minimal off highway driving (to and from highway) the mpg averages 21 to 22. Off highway mpg averages 19. My investigations have found that GM has changed the final drive ratio. At 70 mph the engine RPM is 2,300. That is 300 RPM more that previous model years.

- Lansing, KS, USA