2010 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Impala:

2010 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Apr 292014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while the passenger's seat was occupied, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who stated that the modules on the low speed bus circuit failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000. Updated 10/07/14

- Annapolis, MO, USA

Mar 032014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled intermittently on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to replicate or diagnose the failure for months. The contact had to restart the vehicle in order to reset the computer on a consistent basis to start the vehicle. The contact later received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system) and stated that the parts were not available. The dealer did not give a specific date as to when the parts would be available. The manufacturer was also unable to provide an estimated date for when the contact's vehicle would be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Aug 162014

On 8/15/14 we came out to the vehicle and it would not start. No power at all and the key would not come out of it. Left the vehicle sit overnight and same thing in the morning on 8/16/14. We called and got a jump from a tow truck and drove the vehicle home. While traveling home on the interstate (70 mph), my husband noticed that when he turned the driving lights on the vehicle shut off. (luckily he knew what to do and managed to not kill all of us in the vehicle and anyone around the vehicle; (2 adults and 2 children in vehicle;) he also noticed that when he signaled a lane switch the cruise control would turn itself off. We got the vehicle back to our house, waited 15 minutes and tried restarting and the battery was completely dead again. (no dome light, bells or anything when opening the door). Since then, he has tried putting a different battery in it and we get the same results. When we got home we did a google search and found several others that this same thing has happened too. Luckily no one has been killed from it but it is extremely scary when your vehicle turns off doing 70 mph. I would also like to inform you that there was no warning whatsoever that the battery was low or there were any electrical complications going on with the vehicle. There is no voltage meter anywhere on the vehicle. No warning lights came on either.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Mar 212014

Impala 6-cyl

Car just stopped running we were able to coast to a stop on a 6 lane hwy going around St paul. I have written on here before telling of what happened.and how Chevrolet said its not a problem with your car. So I called back today and said I see its your problem now, so what do I do they say we have no fix yet, but take it in and let them see whats wrong. First its out of warrt. So I ll be paying for something I am sure ! second why recall if you cant fix it "??" scare you into buying a new one. Someone must have put some heat on them I was thinking it was you good job now get them to fix it'.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Mar 012014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when starting the vehicle, there was an abnormal noise and when the engine was off. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Montgomery , AL, USA

May 162013

Impala 6-cyl

After parking the vehicle, I am unable to remove the key or turn the vehicle off so I cannot remove the key from the ignition. I found out that the wiring harness in the shifter had become worn and needed to be replaced. I replaced the harness and again not 1 year later I am having the same problem. I sent Chevy an email and I am waiting for a reply.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Feb 102014

Impala 6-cyl

Loss of power, service stabilitrac, service traction control started flashing...the car lost all power, shifted extremely hard and would only go about 5 to 10 miles per hour. I was on a main road with a lot of traffic when this happened, extremely dangerous situation. I took the vehicle to the GM dealer the first day, they could not find the code and the car ran fine on my way home from work. The next morning it did it again, took it back to the dealer and they had to replace the throttle body which costs almost $700. That was in February, I am now 400 miles from home and it is doing the exact same thing again....going to call a dealer today and hopefully it will be taken care of at no cost. I called GM about this issue and their response was that there is no recall on this VIN# at this time, yet I know there are recalls out due to the throttle body.

- North Salem, IN, USA

Jul 142014

Car was checked out for electrical noise coming from the dashboard from Chevrolet dealer and said that the vehicle had a electrical problem within the dashboard area (part- air inlet recirculation valve, actuator) which is why we heard loud clicking noises, noises would at time continue even when the car was in off position. But three days later took the car to my trusted mechanic to have issue fixed (non-dealer) and mechanic noticed that the steering column was broken (part: Rack-and-pinion), and said that it has been this way for awhile. Mechanic showed me exactly what they saw and indeed the column was broken. Mechanic said that he is surprised we have not had an accident due to this issue and that we could have been killed or killed someone else and that it needs to be fixed asap.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Jul 032014

Loose ignition key.

- Hartsville, TN, USA

Jun 272014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when attempting to turn off the vehicle, the key became lodged into the ignition and would not move pass the acc position causing the battery to drain. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 105,000.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 092014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, the steering wheel and brakes were unresponsive. The contact mentioned that the driver lost control of the vehicle causing it to roll over into a river. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The driver sustained lacerations and bruising. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 40,445. Updated 10/7/14

- Sheffield, MA, USA

Apr 022012

Impala 6-cyl

1) airbag light intermittently has gone on and off for months. I asked dealer about it, they said it would be expensive to diagnose because they would have to trace the wiring harness, removing seat and dashboard. Labor would be expensive. I complained to GM on a couple of occasions and was given a case#. I was told car is out of warranty, therefore, it would be my expense to have this diagnosed and fixed. Dealer said airbag would not deploy if light is illuminated. This a major safety defect. Fall 2013. 2) the rear window defroster stopped working last fall 2013. I had to pay for total repair as it was not covered under warranty. They said it was a wiring issue. Impala's have been known to have issue. Oct 2013. 3) the gas pedal fell off while I was driving. Dealer said they never experienced anything like that before, but would have to replace the entire assembly. Not covered under warranty, therefore, entire cost was mine. Safety issue. Sept 2013 4) the evap vent valve and solenoid had to be replaced. System leak pressurized evap would not hold. Apr 2012 other issues have been reported/repaired, however, do not have paperwork at time of this complaint.

- Lapeer, MI, USA

May 162014

I was taking a right turn with my car and my leg bumped my key chain, which in turn caused the ignition to shut off. Thankfully I was able to pull over and re-start the car!

- Beverly, MA, USA

Sep 262013

Impala 6-cyl

When the incident first occurred, the engine light came on and the dash read "service stabilitrak", "service traction control" and "engine power reduced". it seemed fine when I turned off the car and turned it back on. The next incident didn't happen until a while later, and then it wasn't that bad. A few months later, I was driving back on the highway and the same thing happened, except it said "starting disabled, service throttle" and the car shut off. I pulled over to the side and I was able to restart the car after waiting a few minutes. It was a scary experience. Eventually, leading up to today, my car got worse and worse, and eventually it just started turning off at stoplights with the message "starting disabled, service throttle". it starts with the other messages almost as soon as I turn on the car. The engine revs and the car sounds awful.

- Ames, IA, USA

Apr 042014

While driving down I 80 West of princeton ill the check engine light came on followed by the check traction control light.the dash then light up like a christmas tree with lights I had never seen and can not duplicate with turning the key to on.the car immediately died and I lost power steering and brakes.I got the car stopped safely.I called a mechanic in the town I live in and he asked if it would start again. Earlier when I tried to start it acted as though the battery was dead. This time it started and I drove it home.a local repair shop replaced the gas pedal.I had bought this car new and it has never been in a crash or had any repairs done besides routine service. No one was hurt but this car should not have shut off at 70 mph because of a defective sensor on a gas pedal.I am a retired state trooper and I am sure my training saved me from being in an accident yesterday because I happened to have other cars and semi S driving near me.

- Newark Ill, IL, USA

Nov 202013

After wet wear her stability light message, traction control comes on while driving as does engine power reduced message power is reduced and vehicle dies if you do not pull over and turn it off and bck on. This is a very dangerous and expensive problem which GM is aware of and could cause serious injuries if not dealt with.

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Jul 032013

Impala 6-cyl

My wife was driving on a four lane in mn when the car just quit, as luck would have it there was a off ramp and we coasted up to the top. We didn't know what happened so we never reported it, and it started right back up. Wasn't till today my wife saw where GM had a problem sounding like happened to us. So I went on line with GM the girl said take it to a dealer, its out of warranty so I ll have to pay grrrrrrrrr I said its not my trouble why should I have to pay for something that is your fault. She didn't care, no big surprise ! I told her that I printed out what she aid so if something happens to my wife or me I have proof I told them of my trouble. Thought you would just like to know so if anyone else should report the problem they are not alone.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Jan 162014

Impala 6-cyl

My Impala keeps giving me a warning light that say service stabilitrak, service traction control and engine power reduced. It stay on for a little while and then goes off. Cannot seem to find out why it is doing this but very concerned that my cars speed will reduce while I am in traffic.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 062014

Had to put a new battery in and then the message light came on to service the air bag....they said a module went out under the drivers seat and under the left front will cost $ 1030 + tax...only 43,000 miles on the car. I cant afford to have it fixed and I'm told that the airbag wont work if I get in an accident till I get it fixed.........would that keep my insurance from paying if I do get in an accident and they see the air bag should have been serviced??

- Moline, IL, USA

Dec 262013

My wife and I were traveling North on pa route 15. We were on speed control at 55 mph. An error signal appeared on the dash board saying service trakcontrol a few seconds later a signal said--- losing engine power. I was able to get to a somewhat narrow shoulder in a few seconds before the engine died. I could not start the car. A called aaa and after 45 minutes was towed to a garage in dillsburg. Just before the tow truck arrived I was able to start the car. The mechanic tried to determine the cause and could not. I decided to drive on to my destination in. NJ the error signals appeared once more but I was able to pull into a service station and sit. I restarted car and drove to my destination. The next day I went to "rt 46 Chevrolet"in NJ three days later a new accelerator pedal was installed and I was able to drive to my home in NY state.. it was very scary to lose power on a hwy at 55 mph and I wonder about trusting the car!!!!!

- Gloversville, NY, USA