2010 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Impala:

2010 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 022015

Impala

TL- the contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start and smoke was present coming from under the hood. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the starter was faulty and had overheated. The starter was replaced but 6 months later the replacement starter experiance the same failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 100,000. Jft

- Ashland, VA, USA

Jul 252015

Impala

The transmission shifter lever is stuck in park and the key is stuck in the ignition switch due to a very poor electrical design. The electrical wires attached to the connector that operates the solenoid that unlocks the transmission shifter button in the park position and that also connects to the ignition switch and operates various functions such as releasing the ignition key and allows the vehicle electrical system to be completely turned off, breaks off due to electrical wires being too short and the back and forth movement of the shifter. Checking the online blogs this is a known issue that has been happening on several GM vehicles for some time without any recalls despite constant customer complaints due to the very poor design. Some dealers have suggested leaving the key in the ignition switch and unlocking and locking the vehicle with the key fob. This invites vehicle theft and by not having the electrical system completely turned off, the battery runs down as the accessories and ignition is still turned on and the transmission lights on the instrument panel remains lighted. Some customers have had repeat reoccurrences after having the issue repaired at a cost of between $500 and $600. After inspecting the operation of the shifter and the affect it has on the electrical wiring it is obvious that the wiring will fail and in the blogs as early as whilst under warrantee. I am concerned if there are any other issues that may occur especially safety ones as there is 5 wires I do not know the function of each wire. Can you please investigate this issue.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Dec 242014

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 40 mph, the power shut off and the power steering and brakes failed. As a result, the contact crashed into a tree and mailbox. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained chest injuries, but did not seek medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The contact received the notice after the crash. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Ararat, NC, USA

Feb 092015

Impala

Makes a ticking sound when open door or just sitting when off. Have had fixed $400 and doing same thing again. Everyone I know who have Impala doing same thing something need to be done.can't keep paying $400.I love Impala but about ready to tell everyone I know not to buy I have 3 Impala. The 2010 want quit ticking and the 2003 lights want stay on. Ready to hit facebook!

- De Kalb, MS, USA

May 052015

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the trunk locked and was unable to be opened. When the failure occurred, the turn signals also failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the 12 volt relay to the trunk release needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the rear seat would not go down and there was no key entry for the trunk. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 7/16/15

- Jim Thorpe, PA, USA

Mar 262015

Impala

Loud ticking sound coming from passenger side vent. I have checked with other owners of Chevy who have the same problems going back about 6 yrs+- with Impala and Malibu's. there are 3 motors on the passeger side that go bad, when one is fixed then and other two go bad shortly after. The cost range is about $600. I have been on the phone with GM and the dealer with no satisifaction. I am told the I have to pay their hourly rate to have this inspected, then the replacement cost. GM should be held accountable for this obvious defect. Where can I get help. I am 74yrs old and on a fixed income. Please advise!!!!

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Mar 132015

Impala

Twice this week while driving at around 55 mph my traction control and stabilization light came on also the check engine light. And a message that speed is reduced. The car did slow down and felt like my transmission was giving me problems. When I pulled over and stopped the engine the lights went out and the car ran ok it took till teh next morning for the check engine light to go out.I took it in for a check up and was told it needed a gas pedad position sensor. I had this replaced at a total cost of $210.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Jan 022012

Impala

When starting the vehicle the dash lights do not immediately respond. Adjustment to the light/dimmer control do not make the light come on. This will go on for about 30 seconds and then the dash lights will suddenly come on. It is not safe to drive after dark, you cannot see what gear you are in, your speed is not visible, nor any of the other dash lights. It is random and not reproducible for shop to see. This also occurred with our 2007 Chevy Impala, progressing to finally no dash lights and resulted in $700 repair for faulty wiring in steering column. Should be looked at for root cause and addressed at factory before release. Please, very annoying, expensive, and will cause me to not purchase again.

- Pomeroy, WA, USA

Feb 032014

Impala

I was driving and my cars engine light came on 1st then the traction control light. When they came on it reduced power to my engine and quit on the interstate. I had looked up possible causes when I had a test ran it was showing throttle body I replaced it and it never fixed it upon research I have seen multiple people who owns Impala from the years 2009 and up having the same issues and feel it is something that needs to be looked into. What I have found idk yet I am waiting on the piece to see if this is the issue or not is the pedal sensor could be the cause. But I feel it can be unsafe because my car had quit on a busy interstate with cars traveling at the speed of 65mph and higher. Just when I was looking it up I had saw so many other people having the same issues with their Impala. Please look into it thank you.\

- Branchland, WV, USA

Jan 062015

Impala

When I was driving to work my car suddenly lost its traction control, the engine went to have power and the check engine light came on. It happens very fast, and now my car wont go over 40 miles per hour. I research on the internet I see lots of people having this problem so I wanted to report it.

- Amanda , OH, USA

Dec 012014

Impala 6-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Impala ignition design issue cw the consumer stated the modification was done in a timely and cost-free manner. However, the solution did not address the mechanical issue of the ignition design.

- Youngsville, NC, USA

Dec 012014

Impala 6-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Impala recall on ignition. The parts were not available.

- Hutto, TX, USA

Nov 032014

Impala

2001 Chevrolet Impala quit at 30 mph the consumer stated on two other occasions, the vehicle would not start. The dealer replaced the ignition. After the ignition was replaced, the vehicle continued to shut off. The consumer finally traded the vehicle I 2011.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 012013

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the gears were difficult to switch when the vehicle started. When the engine warmed, the failure was not experienced. Also, the key was difficult to remove from the ignition at times. The failures recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Hemingway, SC, USA

Jun 132013

Impala

This has happened on numerous occasions. While driving my vehicle will turn off. Sometimes me vehicle will have trouble starting. Turning the key will not engage the stater, there will be no attempt of the motor to turn over. This continues to happen even after the removal of all key rings from the ignition key. Today (11/18/14), my Impala died while driving and the engine light turned on. The code stated that there was a faulty ignition switch.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 132014

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the key became lodged in the ignition. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to have repairs performed under NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The technician was unable to repair the vehicle since the key was still stuck in the ignition switch. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,600.

- Roseboro , NC, USA

Oct 122014

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the ignition failed without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- East Tawas , MI, USA

Nov 042014

Impala

TL- the contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the traction control sensor and the service engine sensor illuminated intermittently and the reduced engine speed error message flashed several times. The contact indicated that the vehicle drastically reduced speed and stalled several times. The contact was not able to travel over approximately 25 mph each time the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that acceleration pedal may need to be replaced but the contact was not given a specific diagnosis. The contact was also waiting for parts to schedule a recall repair for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V355000 (electrical system) and stated that the part was not available. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the contacts vehicle would receive the recall repair. The vehicle was not repaired pertaining to the failure which was getting progressively worse. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000. Dyd

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 312014

Impala

Vehicle was being driven and then the service traction control light came on and immediately the vehicle lost power steering and the whole instrument panel appeared to shut down. The engine was still running however I was unable to accelerate. After getting the vehicle to a stop I turned the car off and then tried restarting it. It would start but then immediately the engine would die

- Payson, IL, USA

Oct 252014

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted but the failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was unable to be serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system) due to the part not being available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Brazil, IN, USA