2010 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Impala:

2010 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Feb 082012

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. In addition, while driving at any speed, the traction control warning light flickered and the vehicle failed to start. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the traction control light and the ignition key were replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 128,083.

- Troy, AL, USA

Mar 082016

Impala

My ignition key locks at times. I am sure to park straight without turned wheels or cramped. I finally can start the car by twisting the steering wheel and it then locks and finally the key connects. I was told that may be a tumbler problem? just a worry as I am 82 and always on my mind when I travel. One time it did just die as I was driving. Happen to be in city where I was able to coast into parking lot. It started up and did fine then. That was scarey!

- Jay, OK, USA

Jan 192016

Impala

The antifreezes it gum up the motor the orange antifreezes.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Dec 152015

Impala

My 2010 Chevrolet Impala ignition key is stuck in the ignition, I did get the key fixed under the NHTSA campaign number 14V355000 from a qualified Chevrolet repair center. From what I understand, this has become an ever increasing problem. This needs to be a recall. I will be contacting GM Corp. Along with the NHTSA and will follow up with the information or (excuses) of why this is somehow my problem. This car has only 40,000 miles. It's funny how GM is not simply replacing all ignitions with new keys. This is dangerous and I for one will not let this rest until I'm satisfied, my wife drives this car and unlike GM Corp. Safety is my number one concern.I'm not a mechanic but I do all general maintenance on our cars and this pisses me off. If noise needs to be made to resolve this, then noise you will hear. The NHTSA needs to put GM's ass in check and call them out on this ignition-electrical issue once and for all. This happened 12/16/2015.

- Lacrosse, WI, USA

Nov 242015

Impala

The vehicle was in motion about 45 miles an hr when it began to suddenly lose speed once it stopped I was able to coast it to the light. I cut the car off an it started back up. I didn't understand why it did that so I proceeded to find a near gas station.. it started to run again and I proceeded to go home when it did it again (lost speed while the engine was running) still don't know what the problem is had the alternator and battery checked and both are fine.. this was very dangerous!

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Oct 232015

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but details of the diagnostic testing could not be provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Fairhaven, NJ, USA

Oct 012015

Impala

2001 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall repairs. The consumer was involved in two separate accidents as a result of a faulty ignition. The consumer stated the key slid out of the ignition and caused the vehicle to stall. Updated 10/26/15.

- New Rochelle, NY, USA

Oct 072015

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. Upon starting the vehicle, the steering column seized. The contact was unable to turn or remove the key from the ignition. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was driven to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to find a failure; however, they removed the part and inspected it and put the part back together. Afterwards, the vehicle was able to restart. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Bowlwin, MO, USA

Oct 012013

Impala

At first it was when backing up and turning sharp. The traction control message would come on and a grinding like sound from the front driver wheel area. Later it included the ABS warning and would also occur after backing with turn and going forward at that moment. Now randomly when pulling out and the service air bag light comes on. Recently also the oil pressure low message and dummy light come on 3-4 times before stopping (and yes the oil pressure is good with correct oil, tires, pressure, brakes, sensors all check good). Best guess diagnostics is shorting in wiring harness that can not be located until it fails completely. However with grabbing with traction control when pulling out and air bag problems it is obvious this is a safety hazard.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Dec 292014

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the ignition switch failed to start the vehicle, when turned. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled several times and the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. As a result, excessive force was required to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system).the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Venice, CA, USA

Aug 262013

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while the vehicle was in park, the key was placed in the ignition but the key failed to turn to any position. The contact replaced the keys but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed as a binding ignition lock cylinder failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Jan 022015

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and smoke emitted under the hood. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the starter was faulty and overheated. The starter was replaced but, six months later, the replacement starter experienced the same failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Ashland, VA, USA

Jul 252015

Impala

The transmission shifter lever is stuck in park and the key is stuck in the ignition switch due to a very poor electrical design. The electrical wires attached to the connector that operates the solenoid that unlocks the transmission shifter button in the park position and that also connects to the ignition switch and operates various functions such as releasing the ignition key and allows the vehicle electrical system to be completely turned off, breaks off due to electrical wires being too short and the back and forth movement of the shifter. Checking the online blogs this is a known issue that has been happening on several GM vehicles for some time without any recalls despite constant customer complaints due to the very poor design. Some dealers have suggested leaving the key in the ignition switch and unlocking and locking the vehicle with the key fob. This invites vehicle theft and by not having the electrical system completely turned off, the battery runs down as the accessories and ignition is still turned on and the transmission lights on the instrument panel remains lighted. Some customers have had repeat reoccurrences after having the issue repaired at a cost of between $500 and $600. After inspecting the operation of the shifter and the affect it has on the electrical wiring it is obvious that the wiring will fail and in the blogs as early as whilst under warrantee. I am concerned if there are any other issues that may occur especially safety ones as there is 5 wires I do not know the function of each wire. Can you please investigate this issue.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Dec 242014

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 40 mph, the power shut off and the power steering and brakes failed. As a result, the contact crashed into a tree and mailbox. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained chest injuries, but did not seek medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The contact received the notice after the crash. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Ararat, NC, USA

Feb 092015

Impala

Makes a ticking sound when open door or just sitting when off. Have had fixed $400 and doing same thing again. Everyone I know who have Impala doing same thing something need to be done.can't keep paying $400.I love Impala but about ready to tell everyone I know not to buy I have 3 Impala. The 2010 want quit ticking and the 2003 lights want stay on. Ready to hit facebook!

- De Kalb, MS, USA

May 052015

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the trunk locked and was unable to be opened. When the failure occurred, the turn signals also failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the 12 volt relay to the trunk release needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the rear seat would not go down and there was no key entry for the trunk. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 7/16/15

- Jim Thorpe, PA, USA

Mar 262015

Impala

Loud ticking sound coming from passenger side vent. I have checked with other owners of Chevy who have the same problems going back about 6 yrs+- with Impala and Malibu's. there are 3 motors on the passeger side that go bad, when one is fixed then and other two go bad shortly after. The cost range is about $600. I have been on the phone with GM and the dealer with no satisifaction. I am told the I have to pay their hourly rate to have this inspected, then the replacement cost. GM should be held accountable for this obvious defect. Where can I get help. I am 74yrs old and on a fixed income. Please advise!!!!

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Mar 132015

Impala

Twice this week while driving at around 55 mph my traction control and stabilization light came on also the check engine light. And a message that speed is reduced. The car did slow down and felt like my transmission was giving me problems. When I pulled over and stopped the engine the lights went out and the car ran ok it took till the next morning for the check engine light to go out.I took it in for a check up and was told it needed a gas pedal position sensor. I had this replaced at a total cost of $210.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Jan 022012

Impala 6-cyl

When starting the vehicle the dash lights do not immediately respond. Adjustment to the light/dimmer control do not make the light come on. This will go on for about 30 seconds and then the dash lights will suddenly come on. It is not safe to drive after dark, you cannot see what gear you are in, your speed is not visible, nor any of the other dash lights. It is random and not reproducible for shop to see. This also occurred with our 2007 Chevy Impala, progressing to finally no dash lights and resulted in $700 repair for faulty wiring in steering column. Should be looked at for root cause and addressed at factory before release. Please, very annoying, expensive, and will cause me to not purchase again.

- Pomeroy, WA, USA

Feb 032014

Impala

I was driving and my cars engine light came on 1st then the traction control light. When they came on it reduced power to my engine and quit on the interstate. I had looked up possible causes when I had a test ran it was showing throttle body I replaced it and it never fixed it upon research I have seen multiple people who owns Impala from the years 2009 and up having the same issues and feel it is something that needs to be looked into. What I have found idk yet I am waiting on the piece to see if this is the issue or not is the pedal sensor could be the cause. But I feel it can be unsafe because my car had quit on a busy interstate with cars traveling at the speed of 65mph and higher. Just when I was looking it up I had saw so many other people having the same issues with their Impala. Please look into it thank you.\

- Branchland, WV, USA