2010 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Impala:

2010 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 042014

While driving down I 80 West of princeton ill the check engine light came on followed by the check traction control light.the dash then light up like a christmas tree with lights I had never seen and can not duplicate with turning the key to on.the car immediately died and I lost power steering and brakes.I got the car stopped safely.I called a mechanic in the town I live in and he asked if it would start again. Earlier when I tried to start it acted as though the battery was dead. This time it started and I drove it home.a local repair shop replaced the gas pedal.I had bought this car new and it has never been in a crash or had any repairs done besides routine service. No one was hurt but this car should not have shut off at 70 mph because of a defective sensor on a gas pedal.I am a retired state trooper and I am sure my training saved me from being in an accident yesterday because I happened to have other cars and semi S driving near me.

- Newark Ill, IL, USA

Mar 162014

Impala 6-cyl

It had snowed overnight and I was driving 60 miles per hour going downhill when the traction control light and the engine light came on and then where the odometer reading is it said engine power reduced and then check traction control and check stabilizer. I did make it to work as the car shock as the car felt like it was going to die. I did let it sit all day while I was at work and then when I started it the engine light was still on and it ran ok. I took it across the street and parked it at the Chevrolet dealership and since it is Sunday they are not open and I will stop by in the morning to let them know what is wrong to have them check it out. We have had this car for a year and considering not owning another Chevy.

- Grand Junction, IA, USA

Nov 012013

Impala 6-cyl

At the time of the first incident traction control light came on the low engine power light came on.speed dropped down to 15 mph. Had to pull over turn car off. Then restarted it again it was fine for a month. It repeated same problem. Now check engine light stays on.hdhad code read saying throttle cable and traction me that is a serious issue. This is something that needs to be addressed. Highway driving this problem could cause an accident.I can see this has been a issue with General Motors with Impala and other models since many of the same complaints would it take until its fixed.complaints keep coming up after throttle bodies replaced still having same problems. General Motors needs to get with the program.

- Ansonia, CT, USA

Apr 012013

Impala 6-cyl

I don't remember the exact date, but approximately 2 yrs ago, I began seeing the sequence of messages, "service traction control, service stabilitrak, engine power reduced, " and the engine light comes on along with the traction control system light. The car speed was obviously reduced and I couldn't really accelerate. I took the car back to carmax and they said they couldn't find anything and did not know what I was talking about. It happens sporadically, but seemingly always on the interstate while I'm traveling around 65--70 mph. This is very dangerous, and I've been trying to research what needs to be fixed. I do not understand why this is not a recall item. I think this will be the last Chevy I purchase!

- Columbia, SC, USA

Nov 042013

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the engine reduced power and the traction control warning lights remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized mechanic where a diagnostic was performed, which located the failure at the acceleration sensor. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,200 and the current mileage was 39,000.

- Lexington , MA, USA

Jun 082013

Impala 6-cyl

While driving, reduce power in engine. Check stability trac, and lost acceleration. The car shut off in the middle of the freeway. Restared after a 10 minute wait. Check engine light was on, but now off. Happen from time to time.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Sep 042013

Impala 6-cyl

My wife was driving on interstate and all of a sudden lights start flashing on dash board saying traction control, engine performance reduced and check engine light comes on. Car completely shuts down on major highway. GM needs to do something!!!! before someone seriously gets hurt or worse. Went to auto shop and they said it is the accelerator pedal sensor gone bad already at 56,103 ? I just bought the car, and only had it for 1 year. I will never buy anything GM makes or recommended there vehicles to family or friends this is ridiculous. Someone needs to care about public safety because obviously they do not. Please do a recall and save a life !!!!!

- Northport, AL, USA

Feb 152013

My car is having issues with the service traction control, engine power reduced and will shut down. This has happened to me over 5 times now. I can't even pick up speed after this happens. I was on the highway one time doing about 65 and the car just shut down, I was on an incline/ramp and an 18 wheeler was behind me and I could have been killed. I have taken the car into to get the codes ran but can not seem to get to the root cause. I am thinking about just giving the car back and having it go on my credit.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

May 122013

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2010 Chevrolet Impala lt with 65,000 miles. I was almost in an accident. A deer ran onto the highway on May 12,2013. I was going 60 mph and then made a sudden stop. The next day my check engine light plus the traction control system light came on.... now, I only had this car not even 2months and making payments and I am having problems with it (already). Any other car that I had have in the past I made sudden stops and check engine lights never comes on. Whats going on with the Chevrolet Impala? they look nice but they are sssoooo not worth the cost to purchase or to get repaired. This is the only bad investment I have ever made in my life. I should have stuck with my Mazda. I will let it be known to anyone who ask me about Chevrolet to dont even bothered. There are better cars than the Chevrolet. This car is also a gas guzzler. I put $50 in the tank every 5 days when driving locally. I only work 10 minutes from my house. Everytime you stop you loose gas mileage on your dic the gas is great on the highway though. Like I said the worst investment I have ever made. so upset and disappointed.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 282013

Impala 6-cyl

Driving on the highway when the reduced power warning come on and car states engine disabled... was able to pull off to the should and use the emergency brake to stop... Chevy says its the throttle body and pedal I had this replaced once before... looking it up on the web I found many others have had this issue repaired with it only to come back... I believe this is a software defect and will kill some one... please check out this site and other links on the internet... GM is turning a blind eye..

- Bartonsville, PA, USA

Nov 032012

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving at approximately 30mph when I approached a curved and took my foot of the gas pedal and the car sped up to 40 when I hit the brake.I am the brake it happens more often.I believe this should be investigated before someone get hurt.

- Southbridge, MA, USA

Dec 282012

Impala 8-cyl

Driving home Friday night 12/26/12 on cruise set at 65, bang, car dropped power drastically, kicked off cruise, and the three rotating messages appeared on dash, 1)service stabilitrak, 2)service traction control, & 3)engine power reduced. Both orange placards lit up on dash, service engine and traction. Pulled out of traffic and re started the car. Was able to drive at normal speeds but codes still rotating and placards still lit. Couldn't get it into the shop until Monday 12/31/12. When I started it up to take it in, codes were all cleared and car ran just fine. Dealership told me it was the pedal sensor and would cost me $275 to repair. How can we get GM to do a recall on this on going issue? this is a 2010 Chevy Impala lt with 45000 on it. This repair should be covered under warranty and I was told it is not. There have been numerous individuals with this same sensor failing at about 45000 miles. A sudden drop in power to a speed of 25 while driving at highway speeds is very dangerous. It is amazing with as many failures as have been reported to GM on just the edmunds car form site alone that there have not been any serious crashes. Please take a good look at this issue and see if you can't get GM to recall these sensors and get them replaced with better ones.

- Reed City, MI, USA