2010 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Impala:

2010 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 052016

Major safety issue! while driving on the expressway hours from home reduced engine power/service traction control/check engine lights came on. Cruise control disabled as well. Car stopped on the expressway, steering wheel locked up. Luckily we were able to coast to the side otherwise this could have been a disaster! vehicle was towed to a nearby service station where it is currently located. There are several complaints out there like this. GM needs to recall and fix this problem!

- Blue Island, IL, USA

Jul 132015

Impala 6-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle sudden acceleration caused by sticky throttle accidents before receiving accelerator pedal position pedal sensor and throttle position sensor recall notices. The consumer stated she was backing out of the driveway, when the vehicle took off like a missile. It traveled across the street, jumped a curb and hit a parked vehicle in the driveway causing damage to both vehicles. The dealer claimed there was nothing wrong with the accelerator. However, the accident was caused by a sticky throttle. When the second accident occurred, the consumer was attempting to back the vehicle up, but instead it accelerated backwards at a high rate of speed making a high pitch whining noise. The consumer quickly applied the brake. However, it not reduce the speed. The consumer hit an oak tree, and in doing so, caused the tree to fall on the vehicle. The vehicle was totaled. Between the first and second accident, the throttle was repaired and the accelerator was replaced.

- Paige, TX, USA

Jun 202016

I was driving and my dash said service traction control engine speed reduced and it slowed down by it self

- Milford, OH, USA

Apr 112016

Engine power dropped significantly on a two lane hwy. Traveling at 60 mph. Almost got rear ended and experienced road rage from driver behind me. Scary. I then noticed a service traction control warning, and engine speed reduction notice. Cruise control would not function. This warning will clear itself but continues to occur. I took it to my mechanic several times and they can not identify it even when the warning and condition is active. Veh. Mileage 126700.

- Alma, WI, USA

Oct 122015

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 20 mph, "service stabilitrac and traction control, may lose some engine power." Was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the line that goes to the accelerator pedal needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred on numerous occasions. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact did not attempt to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who diagnosed that the line that goes to the oil sensor was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000....updated 01/20/16 updated 02/05/16

- Fairport Harbor, OH, USA

Oct 152015

As I was driving on a state route, alerts appeared for "service traction control" and then "service stabilitrak" followed by "engine power reduced". the engine light also came on. I pulled over and shut the car off, waiting a few minutes before restarting. The messages stopped, but the engine light was still on. I drove a few more miles and approached the on-ramp to the interstate. As I accelerated to merge onto the interstate, the same alerts came back on in addition to "starting disabled, service throttle". shortly thereafter, my car became completely disabled and shut down as I was on the interstate- the engine cut off, no power steering, no acceleration!! thankfully, I was able to safely pull off the side of the interstate. I had the vehicle towed and the car started right up and seems to run fine at the repair shop. Worried when and where it will happen again.

- Virden, IL, USA

Sep 192015

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at approximately 75 mph, the vehicle stalled and the traction control and the check engine warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that after the failure occurred, the service electronic stability control, the engine power reduced, and the throttle body disabled warning lights displayed across the instrument panel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000. Updated 11/03/15.

- Billings , MT, USA

Mar 052014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the reduced engine power warning lamp and the service stability traction control warning lamp illuminated. Each time the failure recurred, the speed decreased to less than 20 mph and the vehicle shook and vibrated abnormally. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who replaced the throttle body position sensor. The manufacturer stated that the accelerator pedal position sensor was to be replaced in a special condition coverage customer satisfaction campaign. The failure did not recur from the dealer's repair which was over a year ago. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,700.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Apr 152015

While driving on the interstate going about 70mph the check engine light flashes on goes off then pops back on. Message comes on saying reducing engine power then traction control service lights comes on and stays on all while I'm losing power trying to get over to safety I have my foot on the gas pedal but no power at all put my flashers on lucky chp seen me and helped me to the aaa while waiting I start the car up press on the pedal I have power.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

May 172015

On or about May 17, 2015, I received notice from the Chevrolet division of General Motors that my vehicle "may have a broken solder connection within the accelerator pedal position (app) sensor. This condition may result in reduced engine power and loss of traction control assist." According to them, I will know when my information center displays the warning and then they will be willing to correct their poor workmanship, but not until that time. GM goes on to inform me that I may be without my car for an extended length of time while they order parts and do repairs. I don't see why I should be the one who will be inconvenienced for their lack of proper workmanship. Furthermore, I feel there is a safety issue here also. GM needs to correct this problem before it causes needless harm to someone.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Nov 042014

TL- the contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the traction control sensor and the service engine sensor illuminated intermittently and the reduced engine speed error message flashed several times. The contact indicated that the vehicle drastically reduced speed and stalled several times. The contact was not able to travel over approximately 25 mph each time the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that acceleration pedal may need to be replaced but the contact was not given a specific diagnosis. The contact was also waiting for parts to schedule a recall repair for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V355000 (electrical system) and stated that the part was not available. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the contacts vehicle would receive the recall repair. The vehicle was not repaired pertaining to the failure which was getting progressively worse. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000. Dyd

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 032014

Traction control light and engine reduce speed light came on and car started stutter and slow down on the highway. Replace throttle body twice and replace gas pedal sensor.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 232014

Impala 6-cyl

The car experienced a reduction in power and the engine began making a "knocking" noise. The check engine light came on as well as a "reduced engine power, service traction control" alert.

- Washington, IL, USA

Aug 282014

Impala 6-cyl

The gauges on the dashboard fail during driving. The passenger airbags turn on and off during driving. The tire pressure monitoring and fuel gauge warning comes on during driving even though fuel and air are fine. Sometimes at 0mph the gauge will be stuck at prior speed. Gauges fail when passenger airbag turns off. Incidents occur seemingly only when a passenger is present, when passenger airbag is turned on.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 022014

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving my car on the hwy going about 70-75 mph when it happened to me. The road condition was nice with no signs of water on the highway during the hours of 2 pm, great sunny day. The car jerked on me like the throttle was going down. Afterwards the car jerked again and the traction light notification started to beep and the car idled down and I couldn't increase my speed. I continued on the hwy assuming it would rectify itself but my girl (who mainly drives the car), informed me it's been doing this for over the past year off and on probably once every other month. That the weather condition didn't matter it would pop up and slow down and she'd have to pull over and wait about 10 minutes after turning off the car to turn it back on to be able to continue about her day normally. I continued to drive but it never did fix itself. I had to finally take an exit and stopped at a gas station. Might as well take a break while. After about 10-15 minutes, I cranked the car and the issue seemed to resolve itself and I had no further problems throughout the rest of the day.

- Pine Bluff, AR, USA

Jul 202014

Impala 6-cyl

Driving down busy hwy going 75 speed, engine power reduce message came on also traction control message, I been getting this message over a year in a half took it to a mechanic they couldn't seem to find anything wrong with it, since the message would go away after ten minutes or so I never taught was anything major till my car showed the message starter disabled service throttle came on basically letting me know my car was going to lock on me or something and with a few seconds my speed reduced more and I could not push D gas anymore I had to pull over to the side of the road in disbelief of what just happened and scared so I parked and turned off my car then I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't even start or make a starting noise the steering wheel was locked and I couldn't do anything, I waited at least ten minutes and I tried again and it turned on the message was gone but the check engine was still on. Trough the day this incident didn't happen anymore but I went on line and I see a lot of people with the same model car as me are having the same problem!.

- Tyler , TX, USA

Jun 092014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, the steering wheel and brakes were unresponsive. The contact mentioned that the driver lost control of the vehicle causing it to roll over into a river. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The driver sustained lacerations and bruising. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 40,445. Updated 10/7/14

- Sheffield, MA, USA

Mar 162014

Impala 6-cyl

2010 Chevy Impala. Consumer writes in regards to throttle body assembly and sensor issues. The consumer stated while driving, the traction control and engine light illuminated, and then the instrument panel read engine reduced power, check stabilitrak and traction control. As she approached the stop sign, the vehicle started to shake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where a diagnosis revealed the throttle body assembly and sensor had malfunctioned.

- Grand Junction, IA, USA

Apr 112012

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled. The contact stated that the check engine, engine power reduced, service stabilitrak, traction control, and the engine overheated warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the secondary air injection valve, the secondary air pump, and the app sensor fault needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure was not rectified. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000 and the current mileage was 80,000....updated 07/15/14

- Atlanta , GA, USA

Apr 092014

Impala 6-cyl

While driving northbound on I-75 in southern ky, the car suddenly lurched a little and "traction control" and "stabilization" errors displayed followed by "reducing power." And, the check engine light came on. I called my Chevy dealer and asked if it was safe to continue driving - they said yes, as long as the check engine light wasn't flashing. We went about 5 - 10 more miles and the display flashed something about throttle problem and then "shutting down engine", which it did immediately with no warning while we were doing about 70 - 75mph in the middle of the 3 northbound lanes of I-75. I had to try to steer to the shoulder with no power steering or brakes. Once there, I tried to restart the car and nothing happened - it displayed "starter disabled." We called our road service and they took our info, found the nearest Chevy dealer who said they could work on it asap if we got it in there. While they were working on setting up a tow I tried starting it again. It started but the check engine was still on. I tried driving a little along the shoulder and it seemed ok so I said we'd try driving to the dealer rather than wait for a tow truck. We made it. They got on it fairly quickly and found the problem was the gas pedal position sensor. We were fortunate that the traffic was light and I could safely pull off. I hate to think what the results would have been if this had happened earlier as we were traveling thru atlanta with its 6 lanes of heavy traffic. Suddenly losing power and control in that traffic would probably have caused one of those multi-vehicle accidents that make the national news. What kind of incompetent programming of the car's computer would trigger a full, instant shutdown because of a faulty accelerator pedal position sensor? I would suggest an immediate recall to re-flash the computer to eliminate the no-warning shut down.

- Parma, OH, USA