2012 Chevrolet Impala seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Impala:

2012 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Oct 142011

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. While the vehicle was stationary, the passenger side air bag cover detached from the vehicle. In addition, the rear frame of the vehicle was rusted, the engine leaked transmission oil and fuel, and the brakes malfunctioned. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Osceola Mills, PA, USA

Apr 222016

I was hit by another car at intersection near rear door. My car was considered a total (not worth fixing), and I was taken to er hospital by ambulance due to sever neck and shoulder injuries. Released with fracture of neck and fractured right ribs. Not one air bag in front or back released in collision. I knew something was wrong!

- Poplar Bluff, MO, USA

Aug 012015

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. While operating the vehicle, the air bag scensor light turned off and on. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the SDM module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 85,500. Updated 06/21/16

- Dover, TN, USA

Aug 112013

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. After the vehicle was started, there was an abnormal noise coming from the rear driver side of the vehicle intermittently. In addition, the contact stated that when the front passenger side seat was occupied, the air bag off warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, when refueling the vehicle, the fuel sensor failed and fuel spilled out as the mpg malfunction warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,100.

- Osceola Mills, PA, USA

Aug 082014

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while waiting at a traffic light, another vehicle crashed into the passenger side the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The driver and the front passenger sustained injuries. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified about the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Sep 252013

May 2013 I purchased a 2012 Impala fully certified by the Chevy dealer. On 9/25/2013 I was stopped on I-80 due to traffic. A woman traveling 53 mph slammed into me causing me to take out the next 3 cars. I filed an investigation with GM to review the vehicle information (which is how I know how fast she was traveling). The airbag light was on, but no airbags deployed, and the seat belt had restrained me only after I violently bounced off of the steering wheel. When this was reported to GM it was stated that there are three lines of defense in a vehicular accident #1 the body of your vehicle #2 your seat belt #3 airbag deployment. 2/3 lines of defense had failed me. GM had no conclusion after the accident and I received the reports from the engineers. I was traveling fast enough into the car ahead of me for the airbags to have deployed, and the seat belt should have restrained me. Nearly a year later, I am greatful that one line of defense had prevented further injuries, but this is something that I will forever feel the negative impacts of. With recent news investigations into GM's faulty airbag deployment, clearly they can look beyond just the older models of Impala.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Jun 282014

On June 28,2014 while driving down houston tx beltway. I was involved in an accident where my car hit a cement guard rail and brakes fail as well as no airbags deployed.

- Houston , TX, USA

Dec 032013

Tractor trailer hit a 1/2 school bus which hit us on the drivers side, no air bags went off. Passengers had severe injuries including neck, arms, nerve, hands, shoulder damage.

- Fair Oaks, PA, USA

Jul 032013

Impala 6-cyl

Car was serviced (oil change and tire rotation). Afterwards when driving the car 50-60 mph there is a vibration felt in wheel and in seat. Took back to dealer, had all 4 wheels balanced. Problem still existed. Additionally there is a clunking noise in front end, noticeable at low speeds (10-15mph) when going over small bumps in road; noticeable when A/C and radio turned off. Dealer cannot identify any problem, says its operating as designed, no noise. Frustrating considering these problems were not present at purchase or at 30,000 miles. Additionally the airbag / seatbelt indicator illuminates for passenger seat at random times for no reason. Something as simple as a bottle on the seat will make it illuminate.

- Hudson, FL, USA

May 022013

Impala 6-cyl

While driving on a straight street past an intersection, a car ran the stop sign and hit the right side corner of the passenger door and damaged the right rear wheel causing a 180 spin and sliding into the curb damaging the left wheels and steering doing $10,000 damage. The problem I am writing about is that the airbags did not activate. I have to wonder why and are they going to activate if I have another crash.

- New Whiteland, IN, USA

Jun 052012

Impala 6-cyl

While driving this morning my passenger seat belt warning light was flashing, I was the only one in the car. I had a 20 oz aquafina bottle of water sitting in the passenger seat. The passenger airbag light was illuminated on and car was wanting the seat belt buckled. I have two small children and the thought of the airbag deploying because the seat sensor for the airbag thought there was a person sitting there is very disturbing.

- Knoxville, TN, USA