2002 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu:

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Dec 192014

Malibu 6-cyl

On or around December 19, 2014, I contacted GM, by telephone, concerning recall 14350 for our 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. This call was following a letter I had sent, dated December 8, 2014. I feel this recall was related to an ignition switch problem we had back in June 2013. In June 2013 I took this vehicle to the dealership because the car engine shut off will driving. I was told the ignition switch had to be replaced. This repair cost $479.19. After receiving this recall notice, I requested that this money be refunded and was told that they were unrelated and I could not be reimbursed. I feel strongly that I am owed the refund of my money paid to the dealership. Thank you.

- Somerdale, NJ, USA

Dec 012014

Malibu

2002 Chevrolet Malibu the vehicle cutting off while driving. The consumer stated the dealer did not address the issue, which was the ignition. All they did, was put an insert in the key slot and shortened the ring loop.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 262012

Malibu 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Malibu. Vehicle has been recalled because of the key ring is carrying added weight and the vehicle may go off the road. Also, the power steering rack and lines were replaced.

- North Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 042014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when the key was inserted into the ignition switch, the auto theft warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Oct 172014

Malibu 6-cyl

I had ignition recall serviced on 10/15/2014 at Chevrolet dealer. Two days later, key would not open driver's door (manual locks), also stereo and heat would not come on until car was turned off. Problem has just gotten worse, now driver door will not open from inside or outside. I am forced to crawl across front seat to passenger side to get in and out. Also, now stereo stays on when car is turned off, parked and locked up. I called the Chevrolet dealer after the recall service, they said it had nothing to do with them shaving the key down and they would gladly check my car for $149. I called GM and they refused to help. I have spoken to many people online and in person who also own Chevrolet and they are having the same issues. I feel this is a safety issue and needs to be investigated. The Chevy dealer and GM dropped the ball on this issue.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Aug 042014

Malibu 6-cyl

While vehicle is on some power is lost while vehicle is still running. Motor is on but A/C, dashboard gauges, power windows, power locks, windshield wipers do not operate. I recently had vehicle serviced for recent recall #14350. I have noticed on inspecting vehicle that if key is slightly adjar or moved these loses happen. When contacting GM dealership I was informed that it had nothing to do with ignition.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 122014

Malibu 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Malibu ignition problem, faulty switch and car can incorrectly tell the anti-theft security system that the car is being stolen. Therefore, the car wont start the ignition lock cylinder was replaced.

- Middletown, IN, USA

Sep 152014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. After the vehicle was serviced for the recall repair, the vehicle failed to start. In addition, while driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 143,543. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Mar 152014

Malibu 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer states vehicle lost all power and steering, when the vehicle stalled while driving. The consumer stated the vehicle stalled on three separate occasions. The ignition switch was replaced, the last time the vehicle stalled.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Nov 132014

Malibu 6-cyl

Update - faulty ignition switch/lock cylinder failure: Ignition key could not be removed after parking the vehicle. Gear was in park and brake was depressed (would not move either). Could not turn the key or start the vehicle. Tried everything. Vehicle was towed to sts in ewing NJ. They worked on the vehicle and were able to free up the key from the ignition, however when they reinserted the key they could not turn the ignition/ start the car. The brake stayed depressed and they could not get the gear out of park. They had to replace the entire ignition unit, including the ignition switch, as the lock cylinder wasn't working. They ordered the parts and received the code from a local Chevrolet dealer. Total cost to replace parts and repair was $689.75. This appears to be a common problem with this vehicle, and other GM vehicles were recalled for this problem (14113C part of 14092). There was also a recent recall (14350) as the dealer had to install a key insert and key rings to prevent an unintended ignition key rotation. I believe my current ignition problem is related to these recalls.

- Florence, NJ, USA

Nov 102014

Malibu

Ignition key could not be removed after parking the vehicle. Gear was in park and brake was depressed (would not move either). Could not turn the key or start the vehicle. Tried everything. Vehicle was towed to sts in ewing NJ. They are working on the vehicle and it appears they need to replace the entire unit, including the ignition switch, as the lock cylinder isn't working. They will need to get the codes from a Chevrolet dealer. This appears to be a common problem with this vehicle, and there was a recent recall (14350) as the dealer had to install a key insert and key rings to prevent an unintended ignition key rotation. I believe my current ignition problem is related to that recall.

- Florence, NJ, USA

Nov 012010

Malibu 6-cyl

I turn the key to start my car. I drive to the corner to make a right turn onto the main street. The turn signal does not work. This has not happened before. I then turn on the turn signals left to change lanes and make a left turn and the signals don't work again. Then I come to a stop at a light and the horn goes of on its own and I had to pull over and tried to stop the horn by turning off the car. The horn is still going. I turn the car back on and the horn is still going and the lights still are not working. I hit with an open hand the horn twice and it stops, but the turn signals still doesn't work. Then a few weeks later, the headlights cannot be adjusted. The wheel that adjusts the lights from bright to dim doesn't work. You cannot adjust the lights and if you try, all the lights, inside and out go out. Also the turn signals on both sides(left and right) work when they want and I don't have a horn. Once a few months ago, the lights were blinking and the horn was going off in my car while the car was off and parked in my driveway. Help me!!!!!!

- Detroit, MI, USA

Oct 282014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to advise when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Orlando , FL, USA

Aug 072012

Malibu 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to a faulty ignition switch. The consumer stated the ignition switch was replaced twice. The consumer is seeking reimbursement.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Jun 252009

Malibu 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes to express disappointment with the vehicle. The consumer stated the vehicle would not start at times. On several occasions, while driving, the vehicle would shut off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. However, at the time they were unable to determined a problem. The consumer went to her local repair garage, where it was determined, the ignition was the problem. Also, the entire gas cover and cap came off in the consumers hands, due to severe rust. The consumer has since traded the vehicle.

- Cropseyville, NY, USA

Sep 102014

Malibu

For over a year now I have had issues with my 2002 Malibu not starting due to a faulty anti- theft system. The system is the original stock manufacturers theft system. It first begun over a year ago, where my car would not start leaving me stranded. The car sat for nearly 4- days, not knowing what to do! the car has very low miles, only 60,000 original; don't drive much, really only to and from work daily and maybe to the food store here and there. Anyway, I wound up googling "2002 Chevy Malibu not starting", problems with the pass lock theft system came up, telling me to try the 10- minute reset by putting the key in the ignition and turning to on w/out turning the engine on for 10- minutes, removing the key, waiting 5 seconds and then putting the key back into the ignition. Figured what the heck, it doesn't hurt to try it!! well what do you know, it worked!!! well for the past year now my car has left me stranded roughly 3 - 4 times a month because of this issue. Each time I had to do the 10- minute reset and it would then start right up. I shouldn't even have to deal with this, this is crazy and should be recalled and fixed at Chevy/GM's expense, not mine. Especially considering there are over 3,000 complaints regarding this issue!!! I should not have to constantly worry about my car not starting because of a faulty theft system that was but in my car by GM. Chevy. On September 10th 2014 I got in my car to take my son to school and go to work, car would not start, tried the 10-minute reset, this time it did not work, waited 4- hours for a tow truck, son missed school and I was late to work! well, because of me having to keep cranking my car throughout the year because of it not starting because of the faulty theft system blew out my starter and battery. Was without a car for a week and a half got my car back and the theft system issue has started again!!!

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 102011

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the fuel system, transmission, cooling system and power steering needed to be flushed. The spark plugs, fuel filters, and hub kit were replaced. However, the failure persisted. The vehicle was returned to the independent mechanic who replaced the ignition switch. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 01/06/15

- Hazelpark , MI, USA

Jan 152006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the rear driver side parking and turn signal blinker indicators failed to illuminate. The contact stated that the rear driver side lamp contained moisture. The failures occurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed the failure as an electrical issue. The rear driver side lamp was replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Jamaica , NY, USA

Aug 102013

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic for diagnosis. The technician stated that the ignition lock cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000. Updated 11/20/14

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Sep 032012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated the anti-theft system warning light illuminated preventing the vehicle from starting. The contact mentioned that the anti-theft system reset approximately ten minutes after shutting off the vehicle and then the vehicle was able to start. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Dewitt, MI, USA