2003 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu:

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 052016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 40 mph, the check oil warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the camshaft failed and caused severe damage to the engine. The contact was informed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 102016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at any speed, the vehicle accelerated uncontrollably and required the contact to exert extra brake force to stop the vehicle, including the engagement of the ABS. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 04V528000 (vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 44,500.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Apr 262016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was unable to restart and was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Tujunga, CA, USA

Feb 142016

Malibu

Ehgine dies while driving on the streets many times. Horn honks after turning on engine and not drive for about 1 minute. A/C automatically switched from fresh to recycle air buttons

- Pomona, CA, USA

Jul 052015

Malibu

My Malibu will start on its own and run without the key. I have found it running several times or attempting to start when the doors are locked and the keys are no where near the vehicle. This is happening when the vehicle is parked. And the horn goes off randomly and now is burned out.

- Powderville, MT, USA

Nov 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle would fail to start in cold inclement weather. The contact stated that the vehicle would only start during temperatures higher than 40 degrees. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic who replaced the battery, starter, alternator, neutral safety switch, crank shift sensor, and the exhaust system; however, the failure recurred. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air conditioning compressor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 85,600.

- Elizabeth, PA, USA

Feb 282014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to start the vehicle, it failed to start intermittently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Palms Spring, FL, USA

Dec 042015

Malibu

My son was driving the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu on the highway when the theft protection system suddenly kicked in an shut off the engine causing him to lose speed and power steering and forcing him to stop on the highway. Then he had to sit there 10 minutes with the key turned on to reset the theft system before he could start the car again and get out of a dangerous situation. The ignition and key was already ready replaced under the recall too.

- Little Chute, WI, USA

Oct 172015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle lost power and the anti-theft warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 111,000.

- Sandpoint, ID, USA

Sep 302015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the check engine warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, after stopping the vehicle, it stalled. The vehicle was restarted. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V400000 (electrical system) and 04V528000 (vehicle speed control). The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that cylinder two was misfiring. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 214,000.

- Twin Valley, MN, USA

Jul 202015

Malibu

On July 20, 2015 could not adjust the front driver seat. Also power windows in the back driver window would not roll down or up. July 23, 2015 when to get an oil change at sears which they didn't peform due to they needed drive time to approve. Checked the oil it was very low added 1 quart on August 10 I was on the freeway going speed limit car started reducing its speed heard a loud noise pulled over couldnot drive it so I had it towed home next day ain had to have it towed to the shop where drivetime told me to take it they had it from 8/11/2015-8/25/2015 on Aug 26 they so called put a new engine it was only 1 day later the check engine light came on and it overheated took it back to the shop and they said it needed the cat converter replaced in which it was not covered at that time on the 28 it was approved by the time I was informed drive time had my car repo due to nonpayment I feel that I should not make a payment until my car was fixed the right way.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Sep 042015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle would not restart. The engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was recommended to take the vehicle to a dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Aug 072015

Malibu

This has happened five times now, I am driving and the engine just shuts off, I can not brake I can not steer, I still have lights on the dashboard. It happens when I am gong about 20 to about 35 miles per hour. I am afraid to drive on the highway. I do not know if it will happen at a higher speed! it did it the first time back in June 2015 my daughter was driving, then again last Friday August 7th four more times with in 10minutes and a few miles apart. It is like someone just turned the car off while I am driving?

- Canton, OH, USA

May 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 5 mph, the accelerator pedal became stuck without warning. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the rpms failed to decrease. The failure occurred on several occasions. While the vehicle was parked with the engine running, the rpms increased without warning. The vehicle was turned off and restarted several times before the rpms returned to normal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Orangevale, CA, USA

Feb 202015

Malibu

While driving at stop intervals I noticed that my temp guage was reaching the hot mark, I made it home and my reservoir was boiling. Then I notice coolant leaking from the manifold housing. When I had it checked out, I was told that my manifold gaskets had to be replaced at a costly expense. Upon further investigations I found out that GM knew that this was a default issue and only sent out recalls to certain customers and I wasn't one of them. I believe that GM should be held accountable and make the proper recalls to get this matter solved. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I missed the recall. I believe that the recall it was in 2008, and my problem didn't occur until now.

- Greensboro, MD, USA

Mar 032015

Malibu 6-cyl

The car was being driven and the engine suddenly shut off. Fortunately the car was being driven through a parking lot at the time rather than on a roadway. This evening the car wouldn't start at all. My personal mechanic has already advised that there is an ignition problem. However neither GM or the Chevy dealership will fix the issue. They insist on charging for a second diagnostic even though we've already pd someone else for a diagnosis.

- Wendell, NC, USA

Nov 102014

Malibu 6-cyl

Car will not start. Solid "theft" light comes on dashboard and car will not turn over, or if it turns over, will cut out shortly after. This anti-theft issue causes the power steering and brakes to disable, and am not able to turn the steering wheel. Have also had car stall out in traffic and lose all power. Had to have car towed several times due to the issue. I have tried several fixes and mechanical repairs, but this issue continues to get worse. No matter what I try and do, at random times, my car will not start, while the "theft" light comes on and completely disables my vehicle. And sometimes while driving, the car just shuts off. I am the original owner of the vehicle, and am using an original key to start the car. I do not have any type of security system installed in my car. There is no reason for the "theft" light to come on when I am just trying to start my vehicle, not steal it. The ignition recall for my specific vehicle only involves replacing the keys, but this anti-theft issue, which I and other Chevrolet Malibu owners are experiencing, is a serious safety issue that could cause a crash or other accident to occur if it causes the car to cut out (lose power) for no reason while driving, and at the same time disabling the steering and braking systems. This should definitely be a safety recall.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Sep 052014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the service engine warning light illuminated intermittently. The contact mentioned that the cruise control functioned intermittently as the instrument panel gauges and sensors flashed several times. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Warren, MI, USA

Sep 022014

Malibu

We had to have the intake manifold replaced, at 55,000 miles, which didn't occur until 2012, because I don't put a large amount of miles on my car annually. I could not get any money from the recall, because the class action suit payout ended in 2008, and I was never made aware. Both the front and rear struts are leaking fluid. I was told all four need, replacement, and the mounts as well.. the mechanics said normally these shouldn't need replacement until 75,000-80,000 miles minimum, and should have lasted until 100,000 which is normal. I'm a gentle driver who doesn't lend my car out. I drive over speed bumps very slowly in our town, because I didn't want suspension issues. Our town's speed limit is 15 mph over the speed bumps, and I do 7mph over then. Others with a 1999-2003 Malibu, have told me their struts have worn out just as fast also.(at 50,000 miles or so).

- Stratford, NJ, USA

Dec 162013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle suddenly accelerated independently and the engine stalled. The problem occurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Brainerd, MN, USA