8.0

2. press lightly on the hazard light button (4 reports)
  3. repair short in the wire housing (1 reports)
  4. replace signal switch unit (1 reports)
  5. replace the hazard light switch (1 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu:

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Aug 122013

Malibu 3.2L

signal lights worked sometimes, headlights switch did not work, horn blew , clicking when signal

was turned off. Can not remember all the things this caused.

- , Enfield, CT, USA

Oct 312009

Malibu LX 3.2L V6

It is just very dangerous when you have to make a right or left turn and you have no signals. They may come on one minute and then the next they don't. Or they may work for one day and not work the next day.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

May 052008

Malibu 3.2L V6

My turn signals rarely ever work. I ALWAYS use hand signals. I have never heard about the trick with the hazard light; I will try that today.

- , St Petersburg, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Malibu LS

PROBLEM STARTED RIGHT AFTER BUYING THE CAR. I WOULD TURN ON MY SIGNAL BEFORE TURNING & IT WOULD NOT COME ON. NOT ALL THE TIME, JUST EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. THEN IT STARTED HAPPENING EVERYDAY. TO THE POINT IT WAS TOO DANGEROUS TO DRIVE WITH NO TURN SIGNALS.THEN RESEARCHED THE TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM ON THE WEB. CALLED GM, NO HELP THERE. THEY SAID THEY WERE NOT AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM ON THE 2003 MODEL! MADE A COMPLAINT WITH THE DOT SAFETY HOTLINE. THEN DECIDED TO BUY THE PART & TRY TO REPAIR IT MYSELF. PART WAS EASY TO FIND AND NOT TOO BAD TO REPLACE. THIS SHOULD BE RECALLED BY GM, BUT I DON'T SEE THEM DOING THAT. IT IS AWFUL THAT CAR REPAIR SHOPS ARE CHARGING OVER $300.00 TO MAKE THIS REPAIR. IT TOOK ME LESS THAN 30 MINUTES TO REPLACE. THIS IS A REAL SAFETY ISSUE. A RECALL SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE BY NOW.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 012006

Malibu V6

the turn signal don't work when there's a thurnder storm. why is that? it sucks to have to push the hazard button so they work.

- , Lancaster, PA, USA

Jul 142005

Malibu V6

My turn signals went out rather gradually, I had a mechanic adjust the hazard switch but he said it was a temporary fix. Now the signals work rarely but still on occasion. Its a bit ironic that this was a common problem in 2001 and 2002 models but apparently there is no recall for 2003 models.

I am getting dealer estimates between $300.00 and $400.00 dollars to correct the problem.

- , Penrod, KY, USA

Jun 172008

Malibu 6 cylinder

When the air is moist or raining , My turn signals do not work. I tried a couple of different things and its just the same old crap. I really think there is a electrical problem in this type of vehicle. and they do not want to do anything about it. I have talked to other people who have owned the same kind of car as mine and guess what! , yea the same kind of problems as myself.!!!! I think this automaker sucks.

- , Gentry, AR, USA

Mar 022010

Malibu 3.1L V6

Took my car in to have a new front bumper installed (during the winter my husband smacked a snow drift and put a hole in the front bumber) when I got it back it was making a real fast clicking noise. I was told a couple of different times that it was the hazard switch had the replaced twice, still didn't take care of the problem. Finally when I was having trouble with the car not starting I had it in the shop and was told that it was the turn signal switch that needed to be replaced, I had no option so they replaced it to the tune of 375.00. Got the car back and so far so good no clicking noise.

- , Akron, IA, USA

Sep 142009

Malibu LS 3.2L V6

After I changed the brake lights the second time, it worked. But as soon as I got home it started again. After further annoying investigation, I realized that the wiring housing for the left side brakes were shorting out. Plus it needs to be replaced because the pin inside the housing is broken.

- , Waldorf, MD, USA

Sep 092008

Malibu V6

This is annoying and dangerous. There should be a recall!!

- , Fredericksburg, PA, USA

May 012006

Malibu 3.3L

It�s not convenient, not to mention dangerous, to have to hold onto the hazard switch to keep the turn signal working. I feel this is severe safety issue and a recall should be issued.

- , Greewnood, IN, USA

Feb 012007

Malibu V6

After turning turn signal beeping stays on for random amounts of time. Turn signal doesn't stay on just the irritating beeping noise. Have not had it repaired, just an annoyance not a hazard. Anyone else??

- , Auburn Hills, MI, USA

Nov 112007

Malibu 3.1L V6

I've had the turn signal problem also, it sucks to have to pass up your stop to avoid being rear ended thanks to this problem!! Anywhooo I have discovered (after taking apart the steering column to see if the wires were pinched, like my Ford Expedition) that if you press lightly on the hazard light button or press in on the right side of the hazard light button (either one) the signal will work. I'll probably have to tear the dash out to replace switch, but not sure yet.

- , Follansbee, WV, USA

Feb 022007

Malibu V6

About a year ago or so I noticed that sometimes my turn signal works and sometimes it doesn't. It appears that the problem is worse after it rains, but it has happened occasionally on a completely dry day, so I am not sure if the rain plays any significant role in the malfunctioning of the signal or not. I've tried to adjust the steering wheel, thinking there may be a short or something and if I move the wires around a bit, it would solve the problem... but to no avail. I have been told that I may have a bad relay switch, but I have no idea where that would be or what it looks like, so the problem still is not fixed. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this sporadic behavior?

- , McDonough, GA, USA