1.8

2004 Chevrolet Malibu accessories - interior problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 152014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the driver's seat moved back and forth independently. The contact mentioned that after inspecting the vehicle, it was found that drivers seat only had three metal brackets instead of the standard four. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the defect and did not offer any assistance. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Seymour , CT, USA

Dec 262013

Malibu 6-cyl

I had spun out on a turn the day after xmas doing a 180 degree turn. I saw a road sign to my left which was directly inline with my drivers door. I should of hit the sign and rolled my car but as fate would have it, the car turned and just backed into the road ditch....however I did slide sideways for a few feet. My two year old was in the back seat.....she hit her head on a water bottle, so once we came to a stop I got out to access the damage. My left front tire was off the car and laying sideways under it. My back driver tire was going flat. We missed the road sign but stopped only five feet from a light pole that would of killed my daughter. Behind that pole was a set of rr tracks. The garage fixed my car and all seemed well but I kept having back problems....I was released a month ago but have relapsed. Turns out my seat frame in my drivers seat is broke but insurance won't cover cause its been nine months. I was quoted 750 for part alone and 300 some for labor. Its not safe and it should of been caught. They didn't hesitate replacing a car seat. Now I see many people having same issues and question gms safety. I am a single mom, anything happens to me who takes care of my girl?

- Hartland, MN, USA

Sep 192014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the front driver's seat wobbled and was unstable while operating the vehicle. The failure occurred constantly. An independent mechanic stated that the brackets needed to be welded and re-mounted on the frame to fully secure the seat. The mechanic stated that the frame and brackets were entirely rusted and the seat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- South Orange, NJ, USA

Jun 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

My wife's 2004 Chevy Malibu driver's seat is broken and bobbles up and down and toward the right. According to info I've been reading on websites, many other drivers have had this problem. It appears that the welding has broken loose and causes the seat to bobble. This is a major safety hazard and needs to be addressed by GM. The following link will show all the complaints about this model Malibu. www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2004/Chevrolet/Malibu/seat

- Pinson, AL, USA

Sep 112014

Malibu

Upon entering the vehicle, the driver's side power seat collapsed, leaving the seat leaning backward and to the right. There appear to be broken frame welds on the right side where the up and down motor is located. As the seat is no longer attached to the frame, this is an extreme safety risk were there to be an accident; the driver would not be secure in the vehicle even with a seat belt engaged.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Sep 062013

Malibu 6-cyl

The weld on the seat broke and the seat leans right and back, very uncomfortable and a real safety hazard if you ask me. The seat does not move up and down correctly or front to back either.we had fixed at todd wenzel in hudsonville mi a used seat cost us $472.95 we feel this was a defective seat and a safety hazard.

- Jenson, MI, USA

Jul 232012

Malibu 6-cyl

I got into my car and sat down and something under the driver side power seat broke. Looks like a support bar weld cracked. Now the seat is tipped to the right. If I raise or lower the seat, only the left side goes up and down. I'm not sure if there is enough strength holding the rest of the seat together. I've been waiting for a recall, since I believe this is a safety issue. I can find many complaints on line, so my case is far from isolated.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Jun 302014

Malibu 6-cyl

Something in the support brackets of the front seat snapped, and the seat now tilts to the side and rocks when turning in corners.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Apr 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

The driver's seat is broken and rocks to the rear right. It appears the weld broke in the seat frame. This is the 2nd time the seat has broken. The first time, it was covered by warranty. I have read numerous complaints of this in the Chevy Malibu and am requesting that GM issue a recall. This is a significant safety hazard as the seat is not stable, especially during turning maneuvers.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

May 292014

Malibu 6-cyl

The driver's seat is broken and rocks to the rear right. It appears the weld broke in the seat frame. I have read multiple complaints of this in the Chevy Malibu and wonder why a recall hasn't been issued.

- Decatur, AL, USA

Mar 202014

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that an unknown bar that was under the driver's seat became fractured and caused the seat to become unstable and wobble while the contact was driving at unknown speeds. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 05/28/14 the consumer stated the seat bracket broke. Updated 06/30/14

- Sidney , OH, USA

Mar 012010

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the drivers side seat frame was fractured. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician verified the failure and stated that the seat frame needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 67,987 and the current mileage was 95,000. Updated 09/26/2014 updated 02/27/2015

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 262013

Malibu

While driving went to put on the brakes and the driver seat made a loud thump and shifted forward to the right I had to grip the steering wheel and pull over because the seat was leaning forward to the right and made it hard for me to drive. I got out and the bar under the seat that guides the seat was broken had to manuever it to drive after puttting a block of wood under it to stabalize the seat so I could drive. Had new tires, lugs and nuts put on car in June along with entire suspension system fornt and back and wheel alignment and on two occasions my lugs had to be changed due to breakage or lugs coming unscrewed and dropping off on front driverside and back passenger had car checked and there appears to several mechanic shops nothing visibly wrong but this is a sure safety hazard.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 192013

Malibu

I recently encounter an incident with my 2004 Chevy Malibu driver side front seat, out of no wear the steel welded bar under the seat broke on the right side cause the seat to tilt to the right, making it very difficult to drive the cars in a safe manner. To the NHTSA team this problem is dangerous and unsafe something should be done to correct this problem before it resort in a life and death situation.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 102013

Malibu 6-cyl

Upon entering the vehicle, the driver's side power seat collapsed, leaving the seat leaning backward and to the right. There appear to be broken frame welds. As the seat is no longer attached to the frame, this is an extreme safety risk were there to be an accident; the driver would not be secure in the vehicle even with a seatbelt engaged.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Apr 152013

Malibu 6-cyl

Sliding & leaning back to adapt to a comfortable position in the drivers seat, the very comfortable and electrically adjustable drivers seat listed to the right and slightly rotated to the right. Now, sitting on an angle as if the car is on a hill I continue driving. I eventually got a flashlight and while parked and resting my head on the floor mat I could see the rusted bar that runs horizontal to the seat and welded on the left side next to the drivers door, is hanging on the right side dropped below where the weld was holding it; I imagine in a circular pattern since I see half a circumference remaining behind the dropped bar. I can lift the bar back to the remaining half weld, and when I let go it drops back down moving the seat snug with the center console. I was told by a company that welding it would not be wise and would put them in jeopardy if an accident occurred. A new frame would be about $600, then add labor; we're looking at approx. $900+. yes, as others have said on www.automotiveforums.com it's a shame no recall, but after 140K miles... guess I'll ask if I should use wd-40 on the bar after install. Since this is the only electric seat in the car I don't expect the other seats to be effected.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Apr 272013

Malibu 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle in 2006 with 17,000 miles at the carmax superstore in naperville Illinois and have had several serious issues since. The leaking sunroof with the innumerable failed attempts at repair. The leak has never been resolved and I have resorted to covering the vehicle with a tarp during inclement weather. The constant clicking noise in the steering when moving the steering wheel back and forth and the severe stiffness in the steering wheel when curb side parking between parked vehicles. The intermittent ignition failure, the vehicle will not turn over unless you depress the accelerator slightly. There were countless futile attempts at repair for all these defects through out the years of warranty and extended warranty coverage. The failed attempts of correctly diagnosing and properly repairing these defects by the englewwood auto group in englewood New Jersey have left me unsatisfied and super frustrated. Today I am writing because the operators seat has now tilted to the right and is leaning against the center console. There was nothing of significance that occurred while driving that immediately alerted me of this problem, I was simply adjusting the seat when I noticed that the seat was rubbing against the center console. Upon inspecting underneath the seat I observed that the right rear corner does not rise when engaging the electric seat controls. The angle of the lean is so bad that it affects my posture and pains my lower back. I am also afraid that the seat will completely collapse while I am driving. When the seat is lowered all the way down it does level to its acceptable norm, but at 5 feet 4 inches tall I cannot operate safely that low to the floor. For a vehicle that is driven on average once a week it is plagued with some serious manufacturer defects that the dealerships' service department is unable or unwilling to repair.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Jan 202013

Malibu 6-cyl

As I sat down in drivers seat the seat seemed to lean to the right and tilted back slightly. I looked under seat to see what was wrong and noticed a bar across front side of seat was broke away from it's original welded position. After removing seat I noticed that the bar had indeed broken free from weld. Not only was the weld broken but the bar which wasn't really a bar but a pipe slightly thicker walled than a piece of type M copper piping broke off with a piece missing. Also noticed same problem with the pipe that encases the bar at rear of the seat that allows the seat back to tilt back or forward. The pipe has also broken the weld and missing a piece of the pipe.we bought this car brand new and my wife is the primary driver.weight average 155 lbs. So I don't believe weight plays a part of this poorly designed work of failure. Mileage is less than 10,000 per year owned. This is extremely upsetting. Is Chevrolet responsible or since warranty is over they can get away with this poor design and safety issue?

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Jul 172012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the driver seat leaned to the side when the driving. The contact stated that the bracket that held the seat to the frame was fractured and caused the seat to lean. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer or call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 151,000.

- Crawfordville, IN, USA

Jul 132012

Malibu 6-cyl

Front driver's seat is completely loose on right side. Not secured down, cannot adjust and tilts when you make a turn or go around a curve. Have to drive with seat all the way down which is hard because I am a short person. When I get out of the car the whole seat acts like it is just connected on left side and comes up on right side. I had someone lift the seat while I looked underneath. Something is broke. Bracket will not hold seat up, just falls back down and seat will not stay in place. Also a safety issue with seat moving and not secure. In reading other complaints, I feel that I have the same issue of a broken frame which is a definite defect. I am not real heavy and that seat should not have broke. I have had this car for over three years and this has been my personal vehicle. However, I do not feel it is safe to drive like this, but have no choice! oh! these are power seats. Thank you.

- Memphis, TN, USA