2004 Chevrolet Malibu accessories - interior problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Feb 012009

Driver's side power seat. Steel frame is broken causing seat to rock front to back and side to side. Noticeable rust. Unable to weld, only fix is to replace seat. Not a safe seat if there is an accident.

- Burgettstown, PA, USA

Nov 012009

2004 Chevrolet Malibu lt sedan failure: Weld under driver seat broke in two places. Causes seat to set lower on one side placing driver at awkward position to controls. If a collision occurred, the seat would fail causing the driver to be thrown who knows where. Correction: Seat removed for inspection, must be replaced as unable to repair.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Apr 102008

My electric drivers seat was not working properly, so I set it to my position and left it that way for over a year. My wife complained about it so I removed it to find the bad motor ( assumed) but found the main cross member weld broke. If I had been in an accident, I may have gone through the windshield. Contacting GM and the local dealer resulted in no correction. I personally repaired the weld, but since the tubing was also torn, it may not hold. My concern is that others are not aware of this weld issue and believe like me that it is an electric failure.

- Commerce Twsp, MI, USA

Sep 012008

I have not been able to drive my 2004 Chevy Malibu due to the supports under the drivers seat breaking on one side. It is a 6-way power seat and the breakage is causing the one side of the seat to "float." It is not secure when you have the seat raised off the floor. The seat will move when you shift in your seat, make a turn, or go over any bumps. New parts to fix the seat cost $500 (not including labor), for a few screws and some metal bars. Searched junk yards for a replacement seat and noticed the same issue starting to occur on several seats that were there. Also inquired with a mechanic who stated that this is a common occurrence in the 2004 and later Malibu sedans, he knew the exact part numbers that needed to be replaced without even seeing the car. I would like for Chevrolet to recognize this as a real safety concern.

- Grayslake, IL, USA