2004 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jun 052006

Rear light bulbs keep burning out on driver side have to replace bulbs everytime it rains or gets cold.

- Lansing, IL, USA

Dec 012008

I am simply adding to an existing complaint.#PE08062 I am reporting my concern in hopes a decision will be made to proceed with a recall. I am sadly disappointed that not only did this occur with my 1997 Malibu, this is now continuing with my 2004. I love Chevy and I have enjoyed both my Malibu, however an issue of this magnitude should be researched. I will also make a complaint on close #EA04018 & #PE04031 as I just experienced this issue today. Chevy has a name to uphold and I find it concerning that issues can go on occurring when customers truly have concerns. Please determine wisely if and when a recall will be issued for my Chevy model. I believe that GM would be making a wise decision to secure their customer's trust in their company by looking into this issue. Thank you for your time.. concerned Chevy owner

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 282008

Right rear turn signal bulb went out and was replaced. Rear went out a second time and then the front went out as well. Then the back went out a third time, all happening within two months. Now about a month later the left rear bulb has done the same thing. Mechanic looked at it and said was not normal. No parts were retained after repair, however will keep next time replaced.

- Conway, SC, USA

Feb 142007

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Immediately after purchasing the vehicle in February of 2007, the exterior and interior lights would lose power intermittently. While driving approximately 50-60 mph, the exterior and interior lights lost power and caused the contact to pull over to the side of the road. She turned off and parked the vehicle for a while and eventually the lights illuminated again. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. Approximately a year later, she drove the vehicle back to the dealer due to the exterior and interior lights losing power intermittently. The mechanic replaced the entire instrument panel, but the failure recurred a month later. The vehicle has not been repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were notified and stated that they were not liable for the repairs. The VIN was unavailable. The current mileage was 112,000 and failure mileage was 47,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 222007

Front turn signals have burned out numerous times. The plastic housing for the bulbs has melted through. This is a very common problem for the 2004 Malibu.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Aug 022008

Malibu 6-cyl

The turn signal on the front of the vehicle (driver's side) is not working properly. It was blinking faster than normal which usually means the bulb needs replaced. I replaced the bulb, but that did not resolve the issue. I took it to the dealer and they said the entire module needs to be replaced. The vehicle has 54000 miles and it is a Chevrolet Malibu ls V6 2004.

- Willoughby Hills , OH, USA

Oct 152006

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at any speed, the turn signals fail. The failure occurs intermittently. The vehicle has been diagnosed for the failure, but has not been serviced. The current mileage was 71,957 and failure mileage was 65,000.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Apr 042007

The turn signal lens a part of the front headlamp assembly is apparently melting from heat caused by the turn signal light bulb. The lens is mounted inside of the clear headlamp lens and is made out of amber colored plastic. This melting is occurring on both sides of the vehicle and has caused several light bulb malfunctions to occur. This problem not only causes the failure of the turn signal bulb but also creates the potential for a fire to break out.

- Mt. Morris, MI, USA

Jul 152008

Left and right front turn signals/daytime running lights are overheating and causing the yellow plastic lens surrounding the bulb to overheat and melt. The melting plastic is dripping down onto the hot bulb were is it burning. Although I have not seen it smoke or flame the damage and cause is obvious. This is a major fire hazard yet when I contacted GM they refused to do anything about it. Citing the age and mileage on the vehicle. It is a 2004 with 55,000 miles on it. I have checked out many other Malibu's and the problem is occurring on the majority of them. With molten plastic dripping down onto a hot bulb or its metal base it is only a matter of time until a fire occurs. I have the same problem on both sides. This is a design issue that needs to be corrected.

- Mississauga,Ontario Canada, 00, USA

Jun 142008

I recently purchased a used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu with 47,000 miles. After 2 weeks of driving the vehicle, the left turn signal went out. After replacing the bulb, I noticed that a hole has burned through the yellow, plastic lens.

- New Albany, IN, USA

Jun 302008

I have owned this car approx. 12 months...recently took a long trip-11 hours driving straight through-upon returning I noticed the left front turn signal not working, I immediately purchased replacement bulb and upon replacing I noticed the internal amber lens cup for the signal had a hole melted/burned through it. Noticing this I immediately checked the right side and it also has a hole starting to come through. I traveled at night, outside temperature was 62-68 degrees Fahrenheit for the better part of the travel. The base of the bulb that was replaced shows slight melt, their is no apparent damage to the socket. I have saved the old bulb.

- Leroy, MI, USA

May 012008

Malibu 6-cyl

We own a 2004 Chevy Malibu ls sedan with 66,000 miles on it. In March we had the front right turn signal light bulb replaced, and within a week we had to replace the rear left turn signal. Then on May 1st, we were on a trip when the rear right turn signal went out, so we replaced that. The next day the front left turn signal went out for four hours, started to work again for a while, and went on and off again for two days. We brought it into our dealership because we suspected that there might be an electrical problem. The service person called us to report that we had to replace the electrical harness which had been cut (somehow) and it would cost a large sum of money. As with any fear of major electrical problems in an automobile, we gave him permission to replace it. However on the bill it only states that the bulb was replaced for a lesser cost and said nothing about the electrical harness that he had mentioned (which we never even knew existed). We are going back in to talk with the head service manager about this. Our concern is that there are so many reports listed here about turn signal problems. We are reporting this to Chevrolet and hope other people will contact Chevrolet at so they will be aware of and look into these problems.

- Irvington, NY, USA

Nov 262007

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Both of the front turn signal lenses have a one half inch hole burned into the top of the plastic. The plastic has completely melted and turned brown. The shiny material has turned a dull white. The dealer stated that nothing could be done because the vehicle was out of warranty. The current and failure mileages were 82,000. Updated 02-14-08.

- Verona, MO, USA

Oct 222007

Malibu 6-cyl

I have had several issues with my steering column that hopefully now have been repaired. My most recent problem is related to the headlights. The front marker lights have burned through the plastic casing. It has overheated my bulb resulting in turn signal going out. In the process of repairing.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 152007

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Malibu customer has had problems with loss of electric power steering and wants out of the lease without penalty* the radio was inoperative, the cruise control was inoperative at times, it would turn off, but not engage. The PCM was replaced. The passenger side directional lights and brake lights were inoperative. The dealer replaced the bulbs. The heated seats came on by themselves. The intermediate shaft was replaced, because the consumer stated there was a noise when turning the steering wheel. The transmission cooling lines were leaking, the rear defogger on the passenger side was inoperative. When the windshield wipers were on intermittent, they would go full speed by themselves.

- Rochester, NY, USA

May 022006

Malibu 6-cyl

: the contact stated the right front turn signal stopped working without warning. Upon initial inspection, the amber lens inside the headlight housing had visible damage on the headlight assembly as though it had burned. There were no visible flames or smoke to indicate a fire. The dealer was alerted, but no repairs were made.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA