2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 15 of 33)

Aug 242011

Malibu

My car has always had little quirks that didn't seem right about it since I purchased it from my Chevy dealer. It was under warranty at the time so my level of concern wasn't as high as it is now. Things like a sporadic start to the engine while trying to crank the car and the car shimming or quivering when driven faster then 70 mph (highway). I have taken the car back to the dealership for assessment which all came back inconclusive. This last experience merits this complaint. I stopped at a red light taking my hands off the wheel to adjust my seat belt. I glanced over to my steering wheel and it begin to dance/rock right to left and left to right. My hands were clear of the steering wheel and my foot firm on the brakes. When I proceeded to drive once the light was green, I put my foot on the gas that is when my warning signal chimed, and the power steering message flashed on the message center screen. Simultaneously the steering wheel locked up and it became extremely difficult to steer. I begin to maneuver the vehicle into a nearby parking lot. I realized that turning the vehicle took a great amount of effort. After getting in to the parking lot and turning the engine off I waited for about thirty minutes then I proceeded to restart my engine to see if the same trouble would occur. I drove around in the parking lot for about fifteen minutes to see the I would encounter the same issue. The car seemed fine considering, I drove it home. I have not had any problems since but it was a horrifying ordeal.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 052011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when driving at any speed, the steering wheel seized and became difficult to maneuver. The failure recurred several times and after the vehicle was shut off and powered back on, it would operate as normal. The dealer did not offer any assistance and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the contact was awaiting diagnosis. No repairs were performed. The current and failure mileages were 120,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Holden, MA, USA

Aug 182011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While the contact started the ignition, the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The warning light remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 164,000. The VIN unavailable.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 182011

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Malibu and the power steering will stop working and be extremely hard to handle.I went online to see if anyone else had a problem also, to find multiple owners of the same vehicle complaining of the same steering issues.we have been pleased with our Malibu and have had this problem for the past 6 months, I certainly would hope GM would recall this problem, I am a GM buyer, now owning a 2010 Silverado, and have preferred GM products since my first vehicle, a 67 Impala in 73. I would appreciate a response back to me so I can determine what to do next. Thanks for listening and anything you can do.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 202011

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering quit while driving. Went on line and saw lots of similar complaints for the same vehicle-2004 Chevy Malibu.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Aug 112011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 10 mph, there was an unexpected loss of power steering, followed by an illumination of both the power steering and engine warning indicators. The contact drove to the side of the road where the engine was turned off and restarted. The vehicle resumed with the steering malfunction. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who advised that the failure was contributed to the electric power steering motor. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Aug 042011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, a yellow light would illuminate on the instrument panel and the steering wheel would seize. After shutting the vehicle off for a few moments, the steering would resume as normal. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 170,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Pryor, OK, USA

Apr 012011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering lamp illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle was difficult to steer. The vehicle was not taken to an authorized dealer to have the failure diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 23,000 and the current mileage was 32,000.

- Hampton , VA, USA

Jul 222011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering would deactive while the vehicle is in motion. The dealer was notified, but did not diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 92,850 and the current mileage was 93,000.

- Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Jul 082011

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway around 11 pm I went to make a right turn and all of a sudden the steering wheel locked up and the car started beeping about the power steering. The next day I go to have the car inspected and it drives normal no power steering lights on. I have called to find out if there are any recalls and there are not this happens too often to just be ignored my father was the previous owner and it was happening to him as well. I have replaced the rack and pinion, control arms and tie rods and still nothing is working.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Jul 222011

Malibu 6-cyl

Steering wheel will lock up driving down the road almost caused head on crash.

- Shelbyville, TN, USA

Jun 222011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering warning light was illuminated and the steering became extremely resistant. The vehicle was inspected by the dealer and they advised him that the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted nor was the vehicle repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 130,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Newlondon, NC, USA

Jul 012011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at any speed, the vehicle would suddenly lose power steering without warning. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 85,188.

- Montebello, CA, USA

Dec 102004

Malibu 6-cyl

A clunking noise was discovered during driving my new car. Send it back to the dealership and it was greased and it stopped for awhile. I have had 4 different Chevy dealerships in central Texas look at it since it was a new car. It still has that noise and 190,000 miles on it. If when and how can it be fixed?

- Belton, TX, USA

Jun 252011

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering went out summer 2010; replaced power steering @40,000 miles. Now at 45,000 miles having same problem. Power steering goes out..no warning; have almost had several accidents because of it.

- Kilmarnock, VA, USA

Jun 252011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering would intermittently fail while driving 45 mph. In order to correct the failure, the contact would pull the vehicle over and restart it. The vehicle was never taken to any mechanic for inspection on the steering. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Warner, OK, USA

Jun 152011

Malibu

While driving, the service warning light would come on and the power steering assist would go away. I am left with no power assisted steering. This is a very scary and dangerous problem to have. Most of the time I have been able to pull over, shut off the car, and then steering would come back. This morning, the steering went out while driving on a curvy road. First the steering wheel shook while entering a turn, then I almost lost control and hit another car head-on with my kids in the car. As I searched the internet I discovered this problem has been reported thousands of times. How can this not be a recall" is it because enough people haven't died yet"

- Newport News, VA, USA

May 212011

Malibu 4-cyl

Electric assist power steering unit failed. Nearly causing a serious accident.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Feb 152011

Malibu

My 2004 Chevy Malibu is having an issue with the power steering assist system. You lose power steering without warning. I contacted Chevy over this and they pretty much said there was nothing they could do. But there is numerous issues with this.

- Schuylkill Haven, PA, USA

May 012007

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle was experiencing a recurring failure in which the power steering would fail and the steering wheel would be very difficult to turn. The failure occurred while driving at various speeds. Whenever the failure occurred, the vehicle would be navigated to the emergency lane and shut off. After allowing the vehicle to cool down it would restart and function normally. During the failure, a power steering service light would illuminate on the instrument panel. The contact also stated that the failure only occurred during warm weather and the steering column was replaced prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on several occasions where the contact was informed the steering column needed the be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 43,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Redding, CA, USA