2.1

2005 Chevrolet Malibu accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 122013

Malibu 6-cyl

I bought a use Chevy 2005 Malibu and the front rail for the frame of the drivers seat broke. After looking around I found it is a very common issue and feel it's a major safety issue! I was told by the old owner that it broke a year after buying the car and the dealer wanted way to much to replace it" if it's a matter of safety should they not fix it for free? should their not be a recall on it" again after looking around on the web and asking around to many dealer shops it is a very known issue that Chevy has not ever addressed. I just know that not only is it very hard to sit in, it also feels like it's going to come up off the floor every time I hit the brakes. I'm sure if I even got into the smallest fender bender it would eject me. Please do something to make GM repair this issue! also lets maybe address the issue with the failing power steering that has already caused injury's thanks

- Rensselaer , NY, USA

Mar 252011

Malibu 6-cyl

Weld on drivers seat back left side failed. Seat now rocks back and forth. Seat may no long be able to handle crash loads applied to it. Please check www.chevymalibuforum.com/ forum for this issue. There are many case of this exact issue.

- Bolton, MA, USA

Feb 012013

Malibu

The driver seat rocks when the car is in motion and it will not adjust. Dealer states that the seat track is busted and will need to be welded together or replaced.

- Normal, IL, USA

Feb 142013

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu ls. The contact stated that the driver's side seat was not secured properly to the floorboard of the vehicle and would move freely when the contact was driving at any speed. The owner inspected the vehicle and noticed that two bolts were fractured, which could have caused the seat to move. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were approximately 53,851. Updated 3/22/13 the vehicle has since been sold.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jan 092013

Malibu 4-cyl

Purchased car and realized that the seat is broken. It appears the driver's side frame has become un-welded at a joint on the right front crossbar causing the seat to lean toward passenger side and wobble in remaining frame as car is driven. Shocking that this defect is common for this vehicle, that there is the potential for injury and even fatality related to the shock of this breaking as one drives it down the road and the potential for a crash from the alarming nature of this defect. Took this to the local car repair shop to see if they could fix it, they had never seen anything like it before, and recommended we go to a junk yard to purchase a new frame. After seeing all the complaints related to this same side/position, it seems a recall to fix this defect should be in order.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Oct 292012

Malibu 6-cyl

Driving approximately 10 mph heard a loud pop on the driver side seat and the seat now tilts to the right and is unsafe to be sitting in seat. The seat broke at the welding bracket.

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Sep 012012

Malibu 6-cyl

The frame that supports the drivers seat has a broken weld. The seat now wobbles, especially on bumps.

- Coxs Creek, KY, USA

Aug 142012

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving home from work on the interstate and heard a loud pop. Suddenly I am sitting sideways in the driver seat. After pulling over and stopping, I noticed that the seat bracket/support had broke on the right side, next to the console. I bought the car used in April 2012 and have a limited warranty that does not cover this particular problem. Is there a recall for this particular defect? I do not feel safe driving the car or having anyone as passengers for fear of loosing control if the left side breaks. I contacted Chevy directly with this response...per our conversation this morning, I am very disappointed that Chevrolet is not concerned with this matter as a safety issue with it's 2005 Malibu driver seat frames. I pray that no fatalities come of this poor decision on Chevrolet's part.

- Robbins, NC, USA

Jul 012011

Malibu 6-cyl

The drivers seat frame broke and I had to replace. Also the car makes a popping noise when steered. Currently trying to get that into the dealer because it has been doing it for almost a year.

- Buckhannon, WV, USA

May 172011

Malibu 6-cyl

Drivers seat bracket broke, driver now sits lopsided.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 012012

Malibu 6-cyl

As I was driving my Malibu at approximately 40 miles per hour and negotiating a slight curve the drivers seat quickly tilted to the right and became unhinged. The entire drivers seat is now not attached to the "frame" on the bottom-which I am told needs to be "rewelded". I do not feel safe driving this vehicle anymore.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Mar 172012

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu lt model with a problem with the front driver seat weld that holds the top seat frame to the lower seat frame. The weld that's holds them together broke. This is the second time this has happen. The seat only has one weld on the lower right braket, but the left lower braket has two welds one on each side. This problem happen at 55,000 and 88,000 miles. I feel that this is safety issue that needs address.

- Akron, OH, USA

Feb 162012

Malibu 6-cyl

The power seat dropped on the right side as I was in the middle of a sharp left hand turn. The sudden drop caused me to jerk the steering wheel and I almost lost control. When I arrived home I looked under the seat and the support bar that runs across the front of the seat had broken at the weld. It looks like a top of a tin can peeled back. I am not a big person. I weigh around 230lbs. I think that the weld was bad when it left the factory. I can't believe that something so simple could've cost me and my family our lives. I can't afford to have this fixed at this point so I had to wedge a piece of wood under it until I can.

- Belleville, PA, USA

Feb 062012

Malibu

Weld on driver seat broke on front right side. Seat leans to right.

- North Bellmore, NY, USA

Jan 012012

Malibu

Drivers side front power seat broke causing seat to bounce, leans to the right rear also when height adjusted only left side goes up. Weld let go which is a huge safety issue with alot of other Malibu purchasers.this is a serious manufactoring deffect in the welds and frame construction of these front seats. If this were to happen while driving it could cause serious injury or even death to the passengers in this vehicle. Never mind if you hit some other vehicle or persons during this seat failure. I dont beleive GM will not put a recall out on this very serious safety issue Toyota put an entire frame on my truck no questions may be I should buy another Toyota instead.

- Easthampton , MA, USA

Nov 232011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the tracks on the driver's side seat fractured as she attempted a right turn. As a result, the seat began wobbling forward abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that the entire seat assembly needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who stated to the contact that there were no recalls for the failure. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Ashland, OH, USA

Apr 112007

Malibu

The metal frame on the drivers side seat (back right corner) completely broke when the vehicle was only 1.5 years old the car lot where I purchased the vehicle was going to charge me $800 to replace it so I didn't do it. A friend owns a junk yard and he has the same year and model car brought in after it wrecked so I was going to get that seat out of the car, that seat was broke in the same spot. My brother is a welder and he said the metal is too thin to even be able to weld it to fix it. I was wondering if this was a recall because if I wreck the seat and I will be going into the airbag together.

- Romney, WV, USA

Oct 062011

Malibu 6-cyl

I'm the original owner and have owned the car for about 5 1/2 years and have almost 85K miles on it. I'm 185lbs. And my wife is a lot less :-) the right side of my driver seat suddenly dropped about 2 or 3 inches while my wife was making a turn while driving my car. Luckily she wasn't moving too fast and had plenty of room to maneuver. The seat would then rock depending on which way she turned the car. I took it to a garage and they told me the seat frame weld was bad and the frame had to be replaced. I searched online and have found over a dozen complaints almost all identical. Two or three could be coincidence, but over a dozen" estimated cost was $800 but the main concern is that this defective part could get someone killed. And does my "new" part have the same defect"

- Tarentum, PA, USA

Oct 072011

Malibu

Driver seat frame failure. The front driver seat started tilting to the right on 10/7/2011. Next day it was wobbling back and forth while driving. Then it felt as though something broke underneath. This is very dangerous. It could have caused an accident. I have never had this happen to any of the cars I have owned. (Toyota corolla, Buick century). I bought this car from carmax with 30000 miles on it. I am not an aggressive driver and take very good care of my cars. I do not think something like this should happen. When will there be a recall on the these seats. It is very expensive to have something like this fixed. I read where one owner had to have his seat fixed twice. Which cost him over $1000 both times. I cannot afford this. Please assist in getting a recall on this issue.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Oct 052010

Malibu 6-cyl

I had my first problem when I purchased the car. It would jerk & felt it was moving on it's own. Then the lamps would go out and I was replacing the bulbs every month. Then my key starter has failed two times after replacing them. The driver seat has calapsed on the left hand side. The rear seat handle to raise the seats up and down has broken on both passenger side. My lights have burned out on the front driver's side you can see the residue on the cover. The chairs was not scotch guard protected as stated they are very stained even when I tried to was them. In ready some of the others it appear as though mu care had all the defects of my counter parts.

- Roxbury, MA, USA