2005 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Aug 152016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph, the brake lights started to flash. The vehicle was repaired by the dealer in August of 2014 for the same failure. The vehicle was driven home and was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Aug 112016

Malibu

While driving on highway at 60+mph or upon merging from on-ramp, upon quick acceleration to change lanes, power steering is lost and 3 alarm bells go off in car but no lights appear on dash nor any message on radio. This has happened to me multiple times. I am able to regain steering control once I remove my foot from the accelerator. I am afraid of accelerating too quickly as I may loose complete control & crash into other vehicles or medians/guard rails. I use highways daily to commute to work, and being afraid to accelerate is just as dangerous because cannot enter highway at appropriate speed, which could cause a crash a well. I've had all recall work done on my vehicle but this sounds similar to the 2014 sudden loss of power steering recall - NHTSA #14V153000. Taking car to the shop this weekend to have it inspected because I don't feel safe.

- University City, MO, USA

Feb 282016

Malibu

On 28 Feb 2016 around 11:50 am, me, my two daughters and my mom was headed North on I-185. While riding we were talking about what we was going to put in the house we had just gotten approved for that Friday and in mid conversation as I'm going around the curve my car goes over the fog line and I couldn't get the car back into my lane and before I knew it I hit the median (wall) on the left side, my hood flew up and the car bounced off the wall and all I really remember from that point is smashing on break but apparently the car kept going, hit the right side of the wall and came to a stop there. Next thing I know a man was waking me up asking am I okay and said help was on the way. I heard my daughter crying for her sister because she wouldn't move so I get out the car and began to get them out to assure they're okay and everything else is really a blur. I remember a man helping my mom out the car as me and my kids sat on the ground waiting for help and I remember going to the hospital with my kids.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jun 292016

Malibu

My car theft system light keep coming on. One day it came on while I was driving and the car cut off in the middle of the high way I was struck there for 20 minutes until the light stop blinking. This is very very dangerous this is going to cause someone to get into a bad accident. U don't know when the light will come on but it do U will be stranded somewhere this need to recalled. I have research the internet and this have been going on with Chevy cars for a while now this doesn't make any sense. I have put and new fuel pump in the car and spstk plugs. If this don't get recall I will never never never get an Chevy car again and I will make sure my family and friends and their family and friends don't either.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jun 302016

Malibu

Power steering locks up during acceleration and service air bag light never goes off, and after new brake rotors/pads the brake light stays on. Brake fluid light on with full fluid.

- Steger, IL, USA

Jun 192016

Malibu

My 2005 Malibu is extremely hard to start. It also cuts off without warning. This is very dangerous, as well as frustrating. In cold weather, it will crank after only a few tries. In warm weather or after driving the car, it can take up to 30 minutes to crank. It spins but does not start without a major hassle. When the car finally starts, I have to hold down the gas pedal to prevent it from cutting off again. Frequently, it still cuts off when I put it into gear & I have to go through the starting process repeatedly. It is not reliable & has resulted in my being late to work, as well as leaving me stranded. A female being stranded is not safe. If it should happen to cut off in traffic, I will have no control of the vehicle which could result in an accident. I have tried the suggestions related to this common issue which is blamed on the theft deterrent system, but I continue to have the same problems. This is an every day occurrence, forcing me to start cranking my car 30-45 minutes before I have to leave for work & causing me to sit alone in parking lots trying to start my car so I can go home. The check engine light is on and I had it connected to a computer to be tested. The code number said "no part, no fix" & the mechanic who checked it said he had never seen that so had absolutely no idea what it meant. Reading online forums, I have found that this is a very common complaint from Malibu owners, yet nobody knows how to fix the problem. Chevrolet needs to recall and resolve this issue before someone dies due to it.

- Lake Wylie, SC, USA

Feb 122016

Malibu

My key will not turn in the ignition and I checked for recalls. I called the dealer to fix the recall on the ignition, and was notified that they would only put a piece of plastic over key and would not fix the ignition to turn. I can hardly even start my car because the key won't turn. The key is going to break off in the ignition. The horn and radio do not work either. Not having a horn for incoming traffic towards my vehicle is very dangerous. The turn signals only work at random times and that is very dangerous when switching lanes into traffic. Also, something in the back of the car squeaks for no reason when going down the road at random and when going over speed bumps. This car also drains the battery with unknown electrical problems. The drivers side back passenger window wont go down either. This car has way too many safety issues for only 137,000 miles on it.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Feb 012016

Malibu

Therft deterrent will not let car start issue is geeting worst. Car will not start. This happens alot car is parked.

- Waco, TX, USA

Feb 132016

Malibu

Bought car used at 136,000 miles. Car radio does not light up or work, and horn doesn't work. Drivers side back window won't go down. First day driving the car, turn signals stopped blinking and then started blinking again. Suspension in the back squeaks badly when driving at random and going over speed bumps. Did not drive the car for more than one day and now car won't start at all (no crank, no start). These are major safety issues including serious electrical problems. The battery is only one year old on the car when purchased, so should be good. These electrical issues need to be recalled. Now I am stuck with a car that has so many problems and won't start and is definitely not safe to drive.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jan 112016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The battery and starter were replaced; however, the failure recurred. The contact stated that the alternator was tested, and was found to be in perfect working order. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000. The VIN was not available.

- Rockholds, KY, USA

Feb 062016

Malibu

I'm having an issue where's I'm scared I will be in a car accident. My engine light comes on then my tc light then my car say engine power reduce in the car will just shut off.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 122015

Malibu

Takata recall. Steering locked up while driving going around a corner and took a few minutes to get it to unlock. Happened to my wife with our son in the car. This happened before we got the recall. Got the recall fixed and now the power steering warning light is coming on. Headlight are constantly blowing bulbs. The headlight will go out so I will go to replace the build and then it comes back on. Front right turn signal goes out a lot and if I tap on it then it comes back on. The same with the rear tail light goes out often. This summer the traction control would ding and the button would not turn it on or off. When did this happen question doesn't make sense. It is a on going events.

- Pittsville, WI, USA

Jan 072008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at low speeds and depressing the brake pedal, the brake lights would not illuminate and the cruise control seized without warning. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, service brakes, vehicle speed control), but the repair did not remedy the failures. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 54,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 252015

Malibu

I returned from picking up my grand daughter from school which is about 2miles one way. Once at home I turned off my car went inside to get paper work and noticed it was time to get my son from his bus stop, which is right around the corner from my house... as I turned on the car I noticed/smelled smoke inside the car, so I turned it off and got out, I called out to my kids and my daughter told me that I have to pop the hood, I was afraid... so my daughter poped the hood and then we saw the small fire, so my daughter grabbed the water shoes and attempted to put it out and my other daughter called the fire department and then a ball of fire fell to the ground up under the car...then she put that out...so as they were calling the fire department, I had to run around the corner to get my son from the bus stop, as we were on our way back, the fire department was coming.... so they checked it out and in hooked the battery and checked to make sure the fire was all the way out...told me that the car was unsafe to drive, cause it may spark a flame all over again and be worse then what just happened... prior to this I have have small problem's... like my dome light stop working a year in half ago, I tryed to change the fuse, but every attempt they burned out to the touch, so I gave up...then my front light would keep burning out ever month or two...to wear it melt the yellow covering of the bulb and melts the area were the light bulb sits in...to were I replaced the whole front light cover. Then recently my back break light went out... I thought it was the bulb or fuse after changing them, come to find out it was break relay switch... so I had it replaced in July 2015...and also within a year I had to replace my starter, luckly its under a lifetime warrenty....then shortly after that I got my oil change ect..done. All this happened 6 weeks before the fire.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Nov 292015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start when attempting to turn on. In addition, the anti theft warning light illuminated. The vehicle would not start until the anti theft warning light un-illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Danville, WA, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu

I am hoping these pics come threw this time. It would not go threw last time so I cropped the pic to show you the bulb and covering from the day light/turn signal socket on the drivers side. My previous compaint did not allow the pics so trying again. I have to change the bulb every 2 weeks due to the socket getting to hot. The date is only apx. Since it has been going on for at least a yr. I really hope the pics come threw, it shows proof of what is happening. Updated 11/18/15

- Hazle Twp, PA, USA

Jul 072014

Malibu

I have a Chevy Malibu 2005, the daylight running light/turn signal keeps burning out and have to replace it every 2 weeks, the socket gets so hot and burns the bulb out. It is happening on the drivers side.I am getting tired of this. I feel Chevy should do a recall on this, when it burns out then I have no turn signal and tired of replacing the bulb. It gets so hot that the connector on the bulb actually melts and looks like the reflector covering has either gotten so hot it melts or something and now before it blew this time, I went to change the bulb once again after just changing it 2 weeks ago and found/saw that it now melted the covering, the yellow reflector covering. I think think this is what it is called. Somebody has to do something about this. And if I don't fix it I have a chance of getting a ticket for not having it working. I don't feel like I have to replace the socket since that is the problem as the pictures will show you. The date I picked is only apx. This has been going on for @ least a yr. I hope the pics help you to make a decision the right way. I am getting no where with Chevy. Updated 11/18/15

- Hazle Twp., PA, USA

Jan 022012

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While parked, the vehicle was not able to start. The contact mentioned that it took two attempts to start the vehicle. In addition, after switching off the vehicle, the key would get stuck and the vehicle had to be restarted in order to remove the key. The failure recurred intermittently. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000. Updated 01/27/16 the ignition switch tumbler was replaced. Updated 02/09/16

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Oct 072015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 40 mph, the anti-theft system indicator illuminated and caused the vehicle to lose power. This was a recurring issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Hobbs, NM, USA

Oct 012015

Malibu

My car has electrical problems!!! kicking off all kinds of sensor alarms I.e map, tps, maf... just to name a few I've replaced all of them about 6 times now!!!! my car feels like it's in "limp" mode it keeps losing power and won't allow me to go over 20!!! it's been burning through oil and I know it's slowly going destroy my engine!! this wiring issue need fixed asap!

- Sidney, OH, USA