2005 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Sep 292016

Malibu

Had M Y car in for recall work now it shows reduced engine power or something like that and dies I replaced throttle body and no change still does it now it is throwing a code of P0826

- Salem, OR, USA

Mar 092016

Malibu

A dashboard light came on ( T/C ) and disabled my cruse control while driving. The next day, my transmission seem to stop in second gear, even when accelerating. I cannot turn the T/C on with the console button or engage cruise control. My transmission is now shifting hard into second gear... still no cruise control or T/C this has been occurring approx. 1 1/2 weeks mostly highway driving, clear skies and no water on road. The T/C light comes on when I shift from park to drive and will not turn off.

- Guyton, GA, USA

May 302015

Malibu

After a few days of owning this car I noticed there was an issue with the brake lights turning on while driving. When this happens it also shuts off the cruse control too. When you first press the brakes the lights shut off. Press them again and they work for a few minutes. I searched the internet for help, and noticed GM posted a service bulletin on this issue. GM advised to clean, and grease contacts for BCM. I did just that. The cleaning was only a temporary fix because the issue returned days later. Around may of 2014 I received notice that GM issued several recalls. The car had been broke down until February of 20015, and in April it was sent to my local Chevrolet dealer to have the recalls fixed. Shortly after fixing the recall issues the brake light issues returned. I contacted GM/ Chevrolet and they contacted my local dealer who agreed to look at the car again for free. After they inspected it I was told the brake switch needed replaced. On May 28, 2015 my local Chevy dealer replaced the switch. On May 30, 2015 the brake light issue returned. This is a family car and im afraid that someone will end up hitting us. Can you please help.

- Winamac, IN, USA

Apr 232015

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving on freeway and my vehicle stalled and shut down. I had no acceleration from gas pedal, so I had to signal over to the right shoulder of road and coast to a complete stop. Tried starting the vehicle a few times, it would start but would not rev up, even when gas pedal was pressed. Utah road incident management helped by putting one gallon of gasoline in tank since the tank was close to empty, but still would not start. Also, tried using carburetor spray to start the vehicle but, still did not work. Had to be towed to a service shop, where they performed tests to figure out what was wrong. After tests diagnosed that it was the fuel pump and filter. I looked up whether or not there was a recall on this model and year of vehicle. There was a recall for aftermarket fuel pumps, but I believe that recall has closed. I hope to have my vehicle fixed under the same recall.

- Kearns, UT, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet mailbu. The consumer was dissatisfied with the services of the recall. Updated 02/12/15 the consumer received two recall notices. Recall# 14V252000 and 14V224000.

- Tunica, MS, USA

Jan 272013

Malibu 6-cyl

I had to buy a transmission for my Malibu and now I am receiving recalls (multiple) # 14152 & #13036 for the same car. However, on the freeway coming home from temecula, ca, South bound on the 15 highway, my transmission was not engaging. No loud sounds, or excess acceleration, nor too much weight (driver and passenger only cargo.) the engine was on and as I accelerated the engine was going but nothing was propelling us forward. I had to buy a new transmission and pay for labor which came out to a hefty expense. With everything I have read online and forums for these recalls I feel like a reimbursement should be in order if the manufacture even had a slight hesitation of a possible defect.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Oct 072014

Malibu 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer received a recall notice stating the parts for the vehicle are not in stock. Consumer would like to know if they should wait for the parts or will they be rewarded a new vehicle. Recall # 14V252000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Dec 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Customer does not own vehicle anymore. Would like to stop receiving recall notices.

- Glenwood, MN, USA

Nov 062014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering), and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). The contact stated that the parts needed were unavailable to repair the vehicle under the recalls. The dealer was unable to inform when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Sep 252014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train), NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering), and NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Castle , PA, USA

Sep 222014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 141V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Sep 032014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hertford, NC, USA

Jul 312014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would be available. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact that the vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). The contact mentioned that the vehicle had exhibited the failure related to the steering multiple times. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Connersville, IN, USA

Jul 082014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Natrona Heights, PA, USA

Jul 102014

Malibu 4-cyl

Over a course of three years, I've continuously had problems with my taillights going out, cruise control malfunctioning, etc. I've had several near miss accidents because of this issue. My brake lights randomly go on and go off while my car is in motion and when braking the brake lights fail to "light up". I have had several mechanics give me different diagnosis' and have spent a few hundred dollars to remedy this and every thing has failed. I recently did some research and came across this which is exactly what is wrong with my vehicle. www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/owners/searchresults my car was also given a diagnosis of what might be wrong with my vehicle and the mechanic at Chevrolet specifically mentioned that after I spend $700 to get this fixed, this might not remedy the problem. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 162013

Malibu 6-cyl

Intermittent brake lights; go on when not braking; also cruise control intermittent I understand that this is a common problem with this make/model. Suggest recall as this problem has made the press.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Mar 222011

Malibu

The car has a console. There are access panels on either side. While driving down the road, I hat a pot hole, and the drivers side panel came off and dropped between the accelerator pedle, and the side of the hump holding the accelerator down. I was forced to put the car in nuteral and get to the side of the road where I was able to remove the panel. When I inspected the panel, I found it is held in place by a 1" square of velcrow. I will be reinstalling the panel, and inserting a screw through the velcrow mount. This could have been a serieous inceident!

- Salem, NH, USA

Nov 052005

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact's vehicle was involved in an accident. The vehicle swerved across the road and then accelerated down the highway, hitting a tree. The contact could not stop the vehicle with the brakes. Upon impact, the airbags did not deploy. The dealership did not know what caused the accident or why the airbags did not deploy.

- Hamlin, LA, USA