2005 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Sep 092006

Malibu 6-cyl

Rattle in steering while driving down road sounds like something loose in steering & makes you think its coming apart dealer has installed new rack & pinion but I think its something in the electric steering box under dash and its still makes noise.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

May 052007

Malibu 4-cyl

Chevrolet Malibu 2005. Driving on a local street, I made a right onto another street and the steering became stiff, hard to make a sharp turn and I had to pull the steering wheel hard and use an extreme amount of effort to completer a turn, a bell went off. I was unable to steer to the left or the right. The car was still running. I turned the car off and then restarted the car and then I was able to turn the wheel freely for about 15 seconds then the wheel became stiff again. If I had reached the highway to get to my destination driving 50 mph and I had to suddenly quickly steer to the left or right to avoid an potential problem, I may have gotten into a potentially serious accident injuring myself & others. I purchased the car used & only had it 10 months. I am financing the car. I am very concerned about the safety of this vehicle now because it's only a 2005, only 2 years old with a possible major safety problem. I want to know if there are other 2005 Chevy Malibu's with the same problem who have serviced the vehicle and if they continue to have the problem and if there are more owners with this complaint. I am taking this car to the dealer where I bought it, have them inspect it a get more information about this problem.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Apr 062006

Malibu 4-cyl

At approx. 7:30 am 04/06/2006 I was heading westbound on I-290 on a clear, dry road, 40 degrees temp(about) when the power steering failed in my 2005 Chevy Malibu, causing me to lose control of the vehicle. My vehicle impacted with (1) one other vehicle, both of our respective vehicles spinning out of control.I was transported to a hospital, and have been in touch with my insurance company, which informed me that they(my ins. Co. ) would not subrogate, in fact to get my car looked at by GMC, the insurance co. Finally decided to hold the car in salvage, instead of sending it to auction, which they were in the process of doing, due to the fact that no recall on the power steering(eps), or steering column exists. This is a courtesy(it, the car was a total loss)to me, as I have started the process of calling GMC and am trying, unsuccesfully to complete my report to their claim dept( cannot get through).my auto will be held, as I stated for 60 days for GMC to come and inspect it. However, I have been told that when the motor vehicle is restarted(as it was after the accident I was involved in) the power steering can reset itself. My insurance co. Has assured me that, had there been a recall that they would do "everything within their power" to file and pursue a claim against GMC for all costs involved, and this is why they are willing to hold the vehicle for inspection. All I know is that I found this site after having relayed what happened to me to a gentelman in a local grocery store, if not for this complaint page, my car would have been auctioned off by now. I am in considerable pain, and not only out the loss of my vehicle, but I will be surcharged for3 years 4 mo. In, (for a problem that GMC is aware of, and on your /this complaint page all GMC does is ""replace the steering column".) (2007) when my policy renews.this is unfair, and I have searched the internet, and found similar complaints on msn.com/autos/Chevrolet/Malibu/2004/2005 personal reviews.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA