2005 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Apr 252014

Malibu

There is a lag on steering and I have been feeling it for a while, sometimes I don't have a proper steering control, pretty scary at times.

- Madison, WI, USA

Apr 022014

Malibu

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu it has all of the symptoms as the recall for the ignition switch, the power steering gose out when it wants to, it shuts off sometimes when you come to a stop and the air bag light is on, it has not occured since we put the key on a ring by itself, but they won"T honor it says it's not on the list but the 2005 Malibu maxx is on the list! the maxx is the same car but with a hatchback instead of a trunk, can U please look into this and tell me what if anything can I do?

- Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu

I have to turn my steering wheel back and forth and my shifting gear in order to start the car then when going down the highway computer goes off steering becomes harder. A light comes on showing a car and a lock. A message comes on the computer "steering". it does randomly. Is there a recall on this?

- Fort Scott, KS, USA

Apr 162014

Malibu

TL-the contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel locked while she drove at 80mph there was a very low warning alarm while the failure occurred. The failure was experienced several times. The dealership replaced the power steering motor however the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer advised the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 124,927.

- Heartland , TX, USA

Mar 042014

Malibu

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu and the dealer in my area said that my car is not covered in the latest GM recall. The steering in my car has lost power and losing its function. I am afraid to drive my car and it is the only form of transportation I have. My car should be covered in this latest recall. Please advise me of what I should do. Thank you!

- Toledo, OH, USA

Apr 072014

Malibu

TL- the contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph and making a right turn, the power steering assist suddenly malfunctioned and the steering wheel erroneously turned to the left, causing the contact to drive into the wrong lane and nearly crash into oncoming traffic. The contact indicated that during the incident the ABS and power steering warning lights were illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 71,284. Kmj

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Apr 062011

Malibu

TL-the contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, there was a sudden loss of power steering without any warning. The steering wheel was difficult to turn even though force was applied continuously. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic twice where the electric power steering motor was replaced each time. In addition, the power steering motor was reprogrammed by the dealer. The failure recurred and the vehicle had not been repaired. There was a recall related to the failure under NHTSA campaign id number 14V153000 (steering) however, the contact's VIN was not included in the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was unavailable. Kmj

- Dexter, NM, USA

Mar 152014

Malibu

Power steering locks especially in colder weather. Very dangerous when driving in an urban city.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 122012

Malibu

While driving the power steering shut down. I was unable to steer the vehicle. Lost all control of steering while in the rush hour of the day.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 042014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the eps motor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000 and the current mileage was 162,000.

- Port Wing , WI, USA

Mar 102014

Malibu

The power steering failed and the vehicle became very difficuilt to steer. The vehicle's computer indicated a power steering problem. After investigating I found out that this is a known problem by General Motors.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 142011

Malibu

Was doing 40mph power steering failed spun out hit a wall ended up facing the wrong way on one way highway.. I have had so many issues with the 2005 Malibu it should be pulled off the road for sure, I have had to replace struts 2 times now and about to replace my 2nd fuel pump, my car has stalled out on many occasions, has left me stranded many other occasions. For as much money as I have spent to buy the car used in 2009 with 22000 miles on it it cost us 10500$ we have easily spent over that in repairing it, the worst investment I have ever made.. the lighting constantly burns out the blinkers and headlights fail constantly, the gas cap threads expand and or shrink and causes the cap to either be impossible to remove or impossible to lock depending on the weather. I also have had anti theft security lock out many times where the car stalls and locks me out of using it. Power steering failed, fuel would not pump properly into the vehicle, the fuel gauge displayed improper readings, and the speedometer was inoperative.my remote keys fail constantly as well, alignment which makes the car shake/vibrate at speeds 60+ my cd player does not work either I had dealership repair it before warranty it would lock the disc in the player after warranty problem started again, , my seat warmers get stuck on it was a constant problem even before warranty was done the dealership would fix it but now not under warranty they wouldn't repair it or the cd player again even though it was an obvious complaint before the end of the warranty well we are car shopping now for 2 new cars and I promise you I will never purchase another GM/Chevy ever again worst customer service worst cars and to dangerous to reconsider

- Redford, MI, USA

Jul 142010

Malibu

The car in mention above has stalled for no apparent reason, when stalled steering becomes difficult this has happened several times over the past 5 years. When the dealer was called they said there was no recall, and if there was no trouble light on, it would be hard to detect cause unless it stalled while they had it in the shop. When it stalls everything just shut off. Upon pulling the car to the side of road with horns blaring putting it in park it then restarts like nothing ever happend untill next time it decides to shut off. What I'm getting at is there a possibility that GM will expand there ignition switch recall to include the 2005 Malibu which in my opinion is experiencing the same symtoms of suddenly shutting off or stalling the car now has 100,000 mile runs good other then the stalling.

- Moosup, CT, USA

Dec 282013

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving on the interstate; I got off an exit and when I went to turn left, the power steering went out. I almost had an accident. I called the dealer to see if there had been a recall. They told me there was, but it was only good up to 150,000 miles. Updated 02-28-14

- Florence, KY, USA

Jan 132014

Malibu

Here is what I submitted to GM about my vehicle that can possibly cause me harm or death by driving this vehicle and cannot get assistance due to me being over the 150K mileage mark. See below I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu and my power steering is going out. I experienced something last week and then again today. My car started dinging and my screen where the radio is showed "power steering" and my steering wheel locked up. I put the car in park and turned it off and then again back on and the steering wheel unlocked. I did my research online and showed this is a problem for this model document id # 10183A and I was told it is only covered up to 150K miles and I am now at 159K and no Chevy dealer will help me with this. I believe Chevy should stand by there product and fix this for at no charge. This problem didn't occur at 150K miles it occurred now! nature of concern model: Chevy Malibu year: 2005 thank you, remijia jimenez 916-912-2442

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 252013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximate 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where an alignment was performed. The manufacture was not notified. The vehicle has not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 51,320.

- Thousand Palms, CA, USA

Dec 292013

Malibu

2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle power steering malfunction. The dealer informed the consumer, a recall was issued for the power steering. However, it only covered vehicles up to 150,000 miles. The consumer had 166,000 miles on her vehicle.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 072014

Malibu 6-cyl

I started my Chevy Malibu and began to drive down the road with in minutes my power steering jerked, made a ding, ding noise and went out. I pulled it off the road. Turned it off and waited when I turned it back on it worked fine. The Chevy dealership says that it has to do it when they have it before they replace it. So if it doesn't I guess they want me to get killed before they will replace it.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Aug 192011

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering assist failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and diagnosed that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000. Updated 02/27/14 a recall had been issued for the steering issue. However, the dealer informed the consumer the vehicle had too many miles, to replace under recall. The dealer stated they were only fixing vehicles with under 100,000 miles. Updated 02/27/14

- Southerland, NE, USA

Dec 122011

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering quit working. Here in 2013, with 175000 miles, GM will not honor their "service policy", due to miles! it only covered up to 150000 miles! absurd!

- Monaca, PA, USA