2005 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 17)

Sep 032016

Malibu

While driving down the road in a straight stretch on Saturday, steering completely broke. Steering wheel can spin around and around and seems to not be attached to anything. No warning at all and no way to steer car. Thank goodness we were in a straight stretch and only going approx. 25 mph. Could have been much worse if I was traveling speed limit and came upon a curve. Had vehicle towed to dealership. Dealership says my intermediate steering shaft is broke. How does that happen??

- Bardstown, KY, USA

Aug 192016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While pulling out of a parking spot and turning the vehicle, the steering wheel made an abnormal noise. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V224000 (power train), and 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Aug 112016

Malibu

While driving on highway at 60+mph or upon merging from on-ramp, upon quick acceleration to change lanes, power steering is lost and 3 alarm bells go off in car but no lights appear on dash nor any message on radio. This has happened to me multiple times. I am able to regain steering control once I remove my foot from the accelerator. I am afraid of accelerating too quickly as I may loose complete control & crash into other vehicles or medians/guard rails. I use highways daily to commute to work, and being afraid to accelerate is just as dangerous because cannot enter highway at appropriate speed, which could cause a crash a well. I've had all recall work done on my vehicle but this sounds similar to the 2014 sudden loss of power steering recall - NHTSA #14V153000. Taking car to the shop this weekend to have it inspected because I don't feel safe.

- University City, MO, USA

Feb 282016

Malibu

On 28 Feb 2016 around 11:50 am, me, my two daughters and my mom was headed North on I-185. While riding we were talking about what we was going to put in the house we had just gotten approved for that Friday and in mid conversation as I'm going around the curve my car goes over the fog line and I couldn't get the car back into my lane and before I knew it I hit the median (wall) on the left side, my hood flew up and the car bounced off the wall and all I really remember from that point is smashing on break but apparently the car kept going, hit the right side of the wall and came to a stop there. Next thing I know a man was waking me up asking am I okay and said help was on the way. I heard my daughter crying for her sister because she wouldn't move so I get out the car and began to get them out to assure they're okay and everything else is really a blur. I remember a man helping my mom out the car as me and my kids sat on the ground waiting for help and I remember going to the hospital with my kids.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jun 302016

Malibu

Power steering locks up during acceleration and service air bag light never goes off, and after new brake rotors/pads the brake light stays on. Brake fluid light on with full fluid.

- Steger, IL, USA

Apr 282016

Malibu

Power steering went out and the steering wheel turns 360 degrees but the tires don't turn. Fortunately the car was being parked so no one was injured. Dealership thinks the whole power steering bracket needs replacing and quotes approx. $1,000 to replace.

- Lathrup Village, MI, USA

Feb 252016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact also mentioned that the failure occurred when at a stop sign. In addition, there was a loud abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel when turning it left or right. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the intermediate shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Litchfield, IL, USA

Feb 012016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the contact heard a dinging noise coming from the vehicle. In addition, the power steering warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The failures recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Jun 122015

Malibu

Takata recall. Steering locked up while driving going around a corner and took a few minutes to get it to unlock. Happened to my wife with our son in the car. This happened before we got the recall. Got the recall fixed and now the power steering warning light is coming on. Headlight are constantly blowing bulbs. The headlight will go out so I will go to replace the build and then it comes back on. Front right turn signal goes out a lot and if I tap on it then it comes back on. The same with the rear tail light goes out often. This summer the traction control would ding and the button would not turn it on or off. When did this happen question doesn't make sense. It is a on going events.

- Pittsville, WI, USA

Jan 102016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but the diagnosis was not provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that previously while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 202015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for a manufacturers recall on the power steering. However, after the dealer installed the torque sensor and test drove the vehicle, the power steering failed. The dealer would not release the vehicle to the contact. The dealer later released the vehicle and the failure reoccurred. The steering wheel was extremely tight each time the vehicle had come to a complete stop. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and they refused to provide a permanent remedy for the condition. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 141,774.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 072016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 30 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be inspected. The contact was informed that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 232,000.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Dec 262015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 75 mph, an unknown warning light illuminated and a notification for steering failure was shown on the radio display. The vehicle was restarted and the operated normally. The vehicle was taken to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the failure was due to a loose steering column. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 165,000.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Dec 222015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 55 mph on an incline in inclement weather, the vehicle began to spin and the contact crashed into a guardrail multiple times. The steering wheel completely fractured from the vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained minor neck and left arm injuries that required medical attention. The front passenger sustained thigh injuries and the rear passenger side passenger did not sustain any injuries. Both passengers did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed from the crash scene to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 223,000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Nov 162015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering column made a loud thumping noise in the park position and when turning the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 175,000.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Nov 182015

Malibu

Takata recall: Steering. My car had the steering column replaced over a year. On 11/18/2015 I was driving on the fwy when my steering wheel got hard on the curve, was a very scary situacion. I took the car to the dealer and they said there's anything they can do about it, because the warranty was over, I cal GM and they said the part was replaced already replaced. On my opinion if they put a new part and last less then 2 years that means still defected, because it should last longer. Please let me know what should I do about this problem. I'm very scared to drive the car like that.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jul 152015

Malibu

When accelerating, the power steering stops working momentarily causing great difficulty in steering the vehicle. For some reason this vehicle is not covered by the NHTSA recall number 14V-153 even though it is in the affected model year and has the same issue.

- North St Paul, MN, USA

Oct 102015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed while driving 55 mph. The contact restarted the vehicle and it resumed normal operation. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering assist failed. The dealer advised that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering); however, the recall repair only consisted of the torque sensor assembly replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 238,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 242014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical steering motor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 147,437.

- Canton, GA, USA

Aug 242015

Malibu

As I was pulling into a parking place at school the steering became very hard to turn. I after shutting off the said car was able to get steering back for a time. It has done this three times, in the past week. I have talked to a dealer about this their has been known issuses with this car models in power steering assist.. dealer said that there is a 150000 mile warrant. GM sais from there website lifetime warrant. media.GM.com/media/us/en/GM/vehicles.detail.print.html/content/pages/news/us/en/2014/Mar/0331-power-steering.html dont no what to do about getting this fixed seem to be getting run around. Advice please.

- Collinsville, AL, USA