2005 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 16)

Jun 212014

Malibu

I was on my way to school. When I took my exit (23 on route 2), the car simply turned off, locking my steering wheel. I lost control, spung twice and landed on the ramp of that exit. The car has been useless since then. I called the recall hotline to get support and they did nothing for me. I'm left with no car and no support by the GM team that forward me endless recall letters. I've had endless issues with this car since I financed it. Endless repairs, close accidents encounter because of car sensor issues. Brakes no properly working. Traction failing. It has been a nightmare. How can I get support for a vehicle which I loved so dearly and yet nearly cost me my life?

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Sep 122009

Malibu

I lost control of steering and was unable to turn this has happened on several occasions and now theirs a knocking noise in steering. And its not struts or alianment or tires as these have been checked and or changed

- Blue Ridge, GA, USA

May 052014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While turning the steering wheel left or right, the steering wheel became loose and made an abnormal noise. The vehicle was taken to independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the interim mead steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Clarence , NY, USA

Apr 012013

Malibu

My wife and I have contacted Chevy dealer a long time ago about safety recalls on this vehicle a long time ago and have not received any info. On when these recalls can be done. Most of these recalls state that the parts have not been sent. What can your company do about getting these resolved.

- Camron, NC, USA

Mar 022015

Malibu

Nothing has happened yet, there is a knock when car is turning and U joint looks rusted. Knock is not related to cv joints or boots, it was seen by a licensed mechanic that said it was the U joint in steering shaft. Firestone of fayetteville ar are the mechanics that diagnosed the issue

- Coffeyville, KS, USA

Mar 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel became tight and was extremely difficult to maneuver. The contact had to apply force on the steering wheel in order to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14E044000 (steering) and 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 153,000. Updated 5/29/15

- Burnsville, MS, USA

Mar 102015

Malibu

Total power steering failure. Last failed when car pulled into garage, failed days earlier when attempting to leave a parking lot, first failure was while driving down highway, approximately 50 mph (mileage on car at that time is approximated). Problem precisely matches that of NHTSA campaign #14V153000, that is, warning bell chimed, display on radio flashed "power steering, " and the steering was no longer power-assisted. I was told by both Chevrolet and GM help centers that my car's VIN did not match those on the recall list, so I guess somebody simply forgot to send my car the memo, as it has failed three times already. Interesting note: The most recent failure occurred after returning home from Chevrolet dealer, where the power steering system/controller (or whatever it's called) was cleared and reprogrammed. Five miles and about twenty minutes later, it failed again.

- Big Rock, IL, USA

Sep 012014

Malibu

First I have had nothing but steering issues and have had parts replaced previously on this vehicle. Now I have to replace struts, axels and needless to say new tires because of the wear on them due to the steering issues. However, I have a recalled shift cable and have been waiting since last year in August or September. I asked isn't this a safety issue and they stated, they all are. So I am still waiting for the call that they have this shift cable and can only pray nothing happens, like a bad accident. If something were it probably wouldn't be good for you all. Anyway when will this part be in so I can get it taken care of. Went to randy curnow in Kansas City ks. Bought the vehicle from them and have had nothing but issues with the car. Please advise. By the way the seat broke, the automatic locks stopped working and I'm not real happy. Of course its paid for now and not under a warranty.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Mar 022011

Malibu

Slack in the intermediate steering shaft, felt the knocking noise in the steering gear and the intermediate shaft. Noise was noticeable in the steering shaft, replaced immediate steering shaft.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Aug 082008

Malibu

Knocking in steering can be felt when turn left or right replaced intermediate steering shaft

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Dec 082014

Malibu

I have had problems with the power steering in my car. I tried to deal with GM as there is a recall for my model year for power steering problems. My VIN is not included in the recall. I had to have a mechanic replace the torque sensor which is the exact part recalled by GM. My VIN should probably be included in the recall.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 012015

Malibu

TL-the contact own a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph, the steering wheel seized causing the contact to crash into a wall. In addition, the engine warning light illuminated. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000. Djr

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jan 062015

Malibu

I was leaving a above ground parking structure going about 5 mph when I attempted to make a left turn steering assist failed again was just repaired about 2 mos. Ago twice in one repair visit now again I hit a late model Chevy truck dented the rear bumper and movement from impact pushed into a concrete pillar damaging fender I never looked at the front of truck I was told by security on the phone. I knew it was all recorded by the hundreds of cameras they have on each floor I left my ins card with phone # on windshield it caused over $5000 in damage to my car because lifted truck and the trailer hitch or I panicked and hit gas instead of brake not sure but my car is very messed up I have full coverage thru aaa since 1991 I called my agent she said call Chevy and gave me the # Chevy paid to have it towed T to local dealer for diagnostics. When I had a est. Written by Chevy dealer I showed the manager the stiff steering he agreed yes it is not working no power steering assist I guess it is all electric and some sensor went bad again it goes out then I turn off car and re start then it re sets and works again I also checked and found out that there has been 300 deaths in the U.S. and 1 in Canada from this I was never notified about the recall that has been out since April of 2014 I found out about it when it went out the first time and was advised there is a recall on the power steering assist I worked for G.M. for over 30 years and worked at the repairing dealer for over 20 years but I am retired now it is not the dealerships fault just defective parts or design.I just am blessed no one was around to get hurt or killed by the steering failing on a turn there could have been people walking behind this truck or kids thank god there was no foot traffic that early in the morning.

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

Oct 092014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact mentioned that vehicle was exhibiting the same failures mentioned in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the U-joint bearing, rack and pinion, and the intermediate shaft needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 205,000.

- Battle Creek , MI, USA

Jan 102015

Malibu

There was no accident, but this is a complaint against GM for failing to replace all necessary components for a recall. On 3/31/14, GM issued a recall notice, #14V153000 for 1.3 million cars under 4 separate bulletins & this included my 05 Malibu for steering: Electric power assist - there may be a sudden loss of electric power steering assist that could occur at any time (bulletin 14116). Under bulletin 14116, GM would replace only the torque sensor assembly (not the steering motor) for certain GM cars including my car and the GM dealer did so on 10/21/14. Subsequently on 1/10/15, the power steering failed and on 1/14/15, I took this car to the dealer and they stated the steering motor module 6.605 was defective and replaced it on the same day. I had to pay for this since it was not covered under the bulletin this part seems to be the same part that would be replaced under the other 3 GM bulletins, # 14115, 14117 & 14118 for the same/similar steering problem. My concern is the steering motor module was not initially deemed to be a hazard for GM cars covered under the 14116 bulletin (and my 05 Malibu). Thus, other Malibu owners under the 14116 bulletin may have had the same problem with the motor and another recall may be necessary.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while making a right turn, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, the contact stated that while driving 50 mph during inclement weather, the vehicle veered to the right independently. The contact turned the steering wheel to the left to correct the veer. Then the vehicle veered to the left independently. As a result, the contact crashed into a guard rail. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact was advised that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Oct 092014

Malibu

My power steering keeps locking up on me and will not allow me to turn. It locks up while im drving on the highway and it locks up some time when I start the car up. Also my furl pump failed. It does not read telling me how much fuel I have in my tank.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 192014

Malibu

I had the recall of the sensor on the electric power steering accomplished in October. I have had the loss of ps three times since upon acceleration and the problem is worse now than before the recall. The dealer indicates the problem now is the voltage spikes per tsb 08-02-32-005. This tsb indicates a defective coil causes voltage spikes in the electrical system thereby damaging the electric ps motor/module. The codes C0900, B1325, and C0176 were set. I spoke with GM with no avail. There is a tsb 10183 which extends the warranty to 10 years and 100,000 miles. This is with a loss of signal from the steering column. My VIN is not covered by this tsb. My contention is a loss of ps by any cause is a safety issue and GM should recall and fix it. The tsb admits the coil is defective as the tsb requires a replacement with a new enhanced coil and a ground strap added to the coil. This is a manufacture defect and should be corrected by GM. Any vehicle with this defective coil can have the electric ps damaged at any moment without knowing that the failure has occurred. Again, I believe this is a safety issue. What is the point of GM replacing the sensor because of a safety issue and will not correct other issues that cause the same safety issue. Why would one fault be more of an issue than another causing the same safety issue? I have ordered the new coil and related parts to correct the voltage spikes which could damage other parts. That still leaves the motor/module which the dealer indicates needs to be replaced.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Malibu

2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Steering wheel froze while driving. The consumer stated when the steering froze, she panicked and hit the side of a curb, with the undercarriage and the she hit a pole. The steering malfunction occurred several times throughout the year. The dealer was unable to diagnose the problem

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Oct 132014

Malibu

I have had my engine stall due to lack of fuel multiple times which seems dangerous, I travel on the expressway every day. What if it happens at an fast speed. I also have had multiple issues while steering my car. There is an loud popping, coming from a steering shaft, which has just gotton worse I am afraid the steering shaft is going to break! both of these issues have been an recall for 2005 Malibu. As I am clearly having these issues my car is not part of the recall" why not" if something happens and I end up in an accident I see a lawsuit. Not to mention I have a 4 month child!

- Stevensville, MI, USA