2006 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Sep 032016

Takata recall/ I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu and in the past month every time I change the turn signals and brake light bulbs they are always blowing for no reason. And my car is starting to get a loud sound when I drive it and steering is getting hard sometime. I've looked for power steering to check fluid but everyone says mine is electric so I took it to auto zone and they said it was electric and I needed to fix the torque sensor assembly in my steering. I pretty sure there is a recall on that part. And also I think there a recall on a part on my transmutation. I'm trying to find out about recalls on my car. Can someone help me cause I've got my kids and grandkids that ride in it every day. Please help me.

- Alcoa, TN, USA

Jun 012016

While driving the traction control light comes on and the engine turns off completely. When brought in to be looked at the system said that there was never a problem in the first place. We cant use heater or A/C without the car dying 100% of the time.

- Hubbell, MI, USA

May 062015

Fuel pump problem, emissions vapor leak, gas cap, ignition switch, and gas tank sensor problem. My car is a 2006 Chevy Malibu V6. My car has all of these problems with it and I have seen many others with the same problems for this car. I believe there should be something done about it. It is showing up those codes. It also has electrical problems with the power mirrors and windows and trunk. Stationary

- Louisburg, NC, USA

Apr 022013

It started since 2013 and new things are just happened what part of your car was affected? engine elec. Stability control seat belts unknown or other

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Jun 092015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and all the warning lights illuminated on the instrument cluster. In addition, while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Dec 122015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at 30 mph, the speedometer gauge on the instrument panel failed to indicate the actual speed of the vehicle. The check engine warning light illuminated constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Wai'anae, HI, USA

Jan 292016

The sometimes will not start. It's like it's not reading the key. I had the car for a month and bought 6 keys and that did not fix the problem.

- Yreka, CA, USA

Dec 072015

I bought this vehicle used from paul conte Chevrolet in freeport, NY and it had 3 recalls that were not fixed before selling it to me. Now my power steering system malfunctioned to the point where the steering wheel would twitch uncontrollably and then become stiff, making it very difficult and dangerous to steer. I ended up paying for the repairs to the tune of almost $1700 to replace the steering column and steering motor. After doing some research, I found that GM recalled many vehicles of the same year, make, and model as my car but for my specific VIN only the steering torque sensor was recalled. I did get the steering torque sensor recall fixed but my steering was still messed up. This recall did not fix my very serious and potentially dangerous issue. It was only after I authorized the steering column and motor repairs that the issue was resolved. GM customer service is saying that even though I had the same exact issue as the GM recall for other Malibu's, because my specific VIN did not fall under the recall, I will not be getting reimbursed. It is not right that GM be able to get away with this. This serious steering issue could have caused me to crash. I would like to file a complaint against GM for failure to recall all vehicles that were affected by this power steering issue and also request that they reimburse me for fixing an issue that should have been taken care of before I even bought the car. The link below will take you to the official GM statement on this power steering issue.

- Garland, TX, USA

Nov 072015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While idling, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, when the ignition key was turned to the on position, the vehicle started intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician stated that the vehicle was operating as designed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000. The VIN was not available.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Oct 142015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 10 mph around a curve, the brakes did not respond and the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard when depressed. The traction control light became illuminated and the vehicle accelerated and crashed into a ditch. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained an injury to the right arm that did not require medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 161,000.

- Casmalia, CA, USA

Feb 042015

If you think GM had a big problem with the ignition switches here is a bigger one. I have owned GM since 1972 and have always found that the delco batteries are the best. You could go 8 to 8 1/2 years before you needed to replace the battery because an internal plate would separate from the bank of plates. But something changed in the 1990S.I have had two delco batteries do this and I read about a man in Florida that died in his car because it happened to him. Your get in your vehicle, start the engine, put the car in gear, the door locks activate, and the engine quits. You put the car back in park, and try starting the vehicle again, nothing !! all electrical circuits are dead. The positive battery cable and post have seperated from the battery. To get out of the car you have to trip the manual door locks. If someone holds the post back into the battery you will have power but as soon as they let go, all electrical circuits die. Think of it this way. You are heading home after a holiday, on an expressway in the country, doing 70 mph, in the dark. Bumper to bumper. The positive battery post breaks loose. You now have no head lights, no horn, no turn signals, no brake lights, no body lights, no power steering, no power brakes, all electrical circuits have died. You are the captain of a ghost ship and that driver that you know was behind you will only have a second to react when his headlights pick you up. GM needs to investigate and correct.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jun 302015

In Sept 2014, I had my 2006 Malibu repaired under GM recall 13036. At the end of June 2015, I noticed that my brake lights were malfunctioning. I took my car to a local mechanic for repair, which was the same work that was done for the recall. At the end of July 2015, the malfunction return again. I contacted Chevy via email and phone, and was first told that there wasn't a recall for this problem. I called again and explain that I was having the problem described in recall 13036 (" these fluctuations can cause one or more of these conditions: The brake lights to illuminate without the brake pedal being pushed; the brake lights to not illuminate when the pedal is pushed"). I was then told that there was a recall, but that mine was "closed" since I had already had it done once. I am concerned that I will be rear-ended because of the malfunctioning brake lights, which is a problem that Chevy/GM is aware of, having already issued a recall.

- Munhall, PA, USA

Nov 182014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the key failed to turn in the ignition. The failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 212,610.

- Lapeer , MI, USA

Jun 172015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Dec 222014

While driving my car days after I purchased it, suddenly the instrument panel lights started flashing on and off. This includes gas gauge, oil light, check engine soon, ABS, speedometer, dome light, radio, ... also showed on instrument panel an image of a car and a lock. Etc.. it flashed on and off for a while then completely went out. So I was unable to determine speed, how much gas was in the tank no inside light or radio.. the weather was below zero with a wind chill factor and I assumed it had something to do with that. After a few days everything came back except radio. An additional couple of days and radio came back. The car went in for inspection with in 10 days of purchase. Nothing was said, about electrical or instrument panel. Now on or about June 10th the same thing is happening more continuous flashing and electrical going out. It flashes when you start the car and continuously flashes while you drive sometimes just going blank for a while.. thank you.

- Oswego, NY, USA

Feb 152015

Malibu 6-cyl

Went to go get something to eat waiting in drive thru and all of a sudden gas gauge went from full to empty and the light came on and the display said low fuel and hte check engine light came on. Me and my husband looked at each other I told him its full. So we got our food and went next door to the gas station went to put gas in and it would take any because it was full. So then all of a sudden the gas gauge said full. It did this off and on for a while then it started not wanting to start it would take 3-5 tries to finally get it started. Then had the check engine light check it said it needed the fuel pump and relay I think that is what it said. So finally we found some one that would replace it we had to replace both the fuel pump and the relay that lets you know when the fuel is at in your gas tank.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Nov 052014

Malibu 4-cyl

On multiple occasions my 2006 Chevy Malibu has left me stranded. I ended up having it towed to my house where it has set for several months. I have asked different ones to look at it and try to start it. The security light comes on. I have gone to the expense of having the fuel pump replaced, ended up buying a new battery and am now told that the problem is the security system. I have seen this same problem listed on numerous sites on the internet. Why hasn't this problem been addressed? I'm still paying for a vehicle that doesn't run if it ever starts. I have 3 more recalls on this car and can't even take it in to get it taken care of.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Sep 122014

I do not recall exact accident date as I received nothing from insurance. Car was placed in park and turned off. Car had been parked and sitting for 30 minutes. Car came out of park and rolled into another parked car causing damage to that vehicle and to my vehicle.I do not think it went into park to start with. My insurance covered repair of the other vehicle and I repaired my own vehicle. My insurance told me that they would contact Chevrolet concerning accident. Later I noticed my insurance had listed this as a moving violation and raised my insurance. I have contacted my insurance concerning this as this was not a moving violation. I was not driving nor was I in the car and this seemed to involved a recall. I will report my insurance to the state insurance commission to look into this matter has I should not be punished for this problem. I had an excellent driving records for the past 30 years. I had taken car to dealer concerning recalls but was told parts not available. I took car on one occasion and part was ordered for recall. I took car back and was told my part given to some one else. I finally received final repair on 04/08/2015. I made several trips to have car looked at and parts to be ordered then had to take it back for repairs. I also had lose of steering at times for brief periods. I became fearful of driving this car after so many problems and was nervous and anxious when in the car. Too many recalls on this vehicle after I had it for a long time. Some one could have been hurt. Why so longer to notify me of so many recalls and why so long for repairs. If recall is done, parts should be available at dealer. I should not have to take it to be looked at, then wait for a part, then have to take it back it. I will consider legal action.

- Gate City, VA, USA

Nov 032014

Malibu 6-cyl

I contacted Chevrolet recall about my ignition switch. I could just put my key in the switch and it would just turn on without me even turning the switch and it would keep turning off and on. Now my key is stuck in the switch and I can't turn my car off. I took it to my dealership and they so-called fixed it before but now it is messed up again and they want to charge me to fix it again.

- Ripley, TN, USA

Jul 142014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was previously taken to the dealer, who replaced the BCM spacer and the transmission shifter but the failure recurred months later. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train), but the part was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Noble, OK, USA