1.9

2006 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012016

Malibu

While driving the traction control light comes on and the engine turns off completely. When brought in to be looked at the system said that there was never a problem in the first place. We cant use heater or A/C without the car dying 100% of the time.

- Hubbell, MI, USA

Dec 122015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at 30 mph, the speedometer gauge on the instrument panel failed to indicate the actual speed of the vehicle. The check engine warning light illuminated constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Wai'anae, HI, USA

Dec 052014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 50 mph in cold temperatures, the vehicle decelerated and the reduce engine power and check engine warning lights illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000. The VIN was not available.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 24 mph, the vehicle vibrated whenever the gears were shifted. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Mar 022015

Malibu

Our 2006 Chevy Malibu low coolant light came on. It was checked and coolant was put in the vehicle. It continued to come on. It was taken to our regular Chevy dealer in March 2015 who misdiagnosed the problem and replaced the coolant reservoir. The low coolant light came back on and we were loosing more engine coolant in June 2015. It was taken back to our dealer. We were told it has a cracked head gasket and the leak is internal. The Chevy dealer recommended the entire engine be replaced as a precaution because it has over 100, 000 miles. Our 2006 Chevy Malibu have been maintained well and kept up with all maintenance.. and for the gasket to be leaking is beyond us. The leak could not be seen to the visible eye. The only way we knew their was a leak was because the low coolant light came on, which was the reason why we took it to the mechanic. We are disappointed with the misdiagnose of our vehicle and with the problem. The Chevy dealer did refund us for the misdiagnose of the problem but nothing else was offered or done. Now we have to figure out what to do because we need our car.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Aug 252008

Malibu

Vehicle stalls intermittently when stopped and idling. This occurs when backing up and also when idling. It seems to occur more so when the air temperature outside is very hot. Usually when it is around 85 - 90 degrees outside. Vehicle usually restarts ok. Only one instance when engine was turned off twice while idling, it would not restart until engine cooled down. Then was able to start engine. Mechanics have not been able to detect problem even when vehicle was scanned for codes. Have taken it to different automotive service shops including dealerships and no one can find the problem because they state it is intermittent. Air temperature outside of vehicle seems to be a key factor with car stalling when temperature very hot. The car has never overheated when this occurs.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Jan 012015

Malibu

While driving the car will start slowing down and it says on the dash "reduced engine power". it happens while driving and also when starting from a stop. Vehicle also stalls out when coming to a stop. Vehicle does this when it is cold outside. Very dangerous that this happens while my wife is driving our children. No one can explain why this is happening.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Jul 312014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the steering wheel seized and excessive force on the steering wheel was required. The contact also stated that the engine stalled. The transmission failed to shift out of park. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 169,000.

- Lumberton, NC, USA

Jan 102015

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle completely shut off and the engine restarted. The vehicle started to roll backwards down a hill. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 02/24/15 updated 6/10/2015

- Natchez, MS, USA

Jan 122014

Malibu 4-cyl

Was driving at 45mph and Chevy Malibu stalled. Was able to start back up but stalled again and has yet to restart. Took to mechanic and told the engine needed to be replaced. This is a common problem and there has yet to be any recalls.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Dec 232014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the traction control and engine shutting down warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the ignition switch was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Troy, KS, USA

Sep 242014

Malibu

When I try to start my Chevy Malibu it doesn't catch after turning the key and will constantly die. Already replaced the starter, fuel intake, etc but continues the same problems.

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Sep 092013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at low speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Sep 222014

Malibu

I bought this car used on September 22,2014, as I was driving home the engine light came on, and I spoke with dealer and they said they cleaned the car. If it is still on in a couple days, bring car in. Well I had my mechanic look and he said there was a bulletin out on it for mass air flow update, which is what the code was when he put the gadget on it. I called berger Chevy and they said its a customer pay. Shouldn't be if this was a manufacturer defect. The air mass flow is running lean, but I should not have to pay this, should I? they are saying 98 bucks.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Feb 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the check engine indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the engine was replaced, but the engine indicator remained illuminated. The failure occurred daily. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Whitestone, NY, USA

Aug 112014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while traveling unknown speeds, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage 109,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 202014

Malibu 6-cyl

I filled my car and my gauge says I am low on gas. I stop turn off car and restart it's ok for about 2 minutes. And it does it again.

- Hanover1016, PA, USA

Jul 272014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle, but it stalled again. The failure occurred five times. An independent mechanic stated that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 122,000.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Mar 312014

Malibu 5-cyl

My vehicle is on a recall with GMC and other things are malfunctioning but GMC are only replacing one issue. Chevrolet says they don't know when the parts are going to be available to fix the steering issue but my car has another issue in which the turn signal has a short in it and it doesn't work properly.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 202013

Malibu

I filed a complaint last year in reference to the random stopping issue on my 2006 Chevy Malibu. Although several vehicles have been recalled, the Malibu's and Impala have been overlooked as they have the same issues as the other recalled vehicles. I have a vehicle that is a literal deathtrap and the Chevy service department has advised me that they cannot diagnose the vehicle. If you review the various car forums, the random stopping issue is a common problem with all Chevy vehicles make in this timeframe. The dealerships offer little assistance in resolving the issues if no code is generated. The vehicles are engineered to stop in the event of almost any minor issue with the vehicle. I am a single parent that purchased this car for my daughter in college. She has come home in tears many times due to the vehicle stopping on her with no warning and almost being hit several times. I have spent almost $1500 trying to determine the issue that Chevy could not diagnose. I had to purchase another vehicle for my daughter while the Malibu is literally useless and sits on my driveway. I would hate to even give it away knowing of this issue. If I sell this vehicle to someone else, I am selling a deathtrap that could cause another family a major tragedy. I filed another complaint with GM and was just told again last week that they vehicle cannot be diagnosed. They went by the information from the first diagnostic and did not even attempt to look at it again. Please encourage GM to do the right thing and recall these vehicles or buy them back as they are useless deathtraps. There is no such thing as not being able to diagnose a vehicle. They are merely hiding behind more defects that they are unwilling to disclose.

- Ovilla, TX, USA