2.6

2006 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 282012

Malibu 6-cyl

While driving vehicle I was being followed by my daughter who thought I was riding my brakes. It turns out that the brake lights are going off when the brakes are applied and coming on when brakes are released. This also affects the cruise control as it will not work when the brake lights come on. This is a very dangerous issue. People driving behind me don't know if I'm stopping or not! there are countless numbers of people with this same problem and the dealerships don't have the answer to fix it. This should be a recall if there ever was one!

- Fayette, AL, USA

Feb 012012

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 06 Chevy mailbu my brake lights comes on when I am driving so it looks like I am riding my brakes I have been pulled over becase of this when I googled it there was a bunch of people with 2006 mailbus with the same problem I have had the brake light switch replaced about 5 times and that is not the problem no one can seem to find the problem not even the Chevy dealership I think there should be a recall on this because it is dangerious to drive with the brake lights on when you press the brake pedal the brake lights go out for about 10 seconds then come right back on.

- Benton, KY, USA

Feb 102012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While the vehicle was parked the contact noticed the exterior brake lights would illuminate without depressing the brake pedal. The contact later noticed the tail lights completely stopped functioning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 108,900.

- Louin, MS, USA

Feb 012010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated when she applied pressure to the brakes, the brake light would not illuminate and when it would illuminate, it would not shut off. In addition, she noticed that the check engine warning light was also illuminated. When attempting to accelerate, the vehicle would exhibit an abnormal knocking from the engine followed by a violent jerking. The steering wheel also seized intermittently, making it difficult to control the vehicle. The dealer replaced the oxygen banks one and two, core pack, spark plugs and the prongs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The current mileage was 155,000 and the approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Memphis , TN, USA

Mar 102009

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake lights on my 2006 Chevy Malibu work almost completely opposite of what they should. Most of the time, I press the brake and the brake lights turn off, when the brake is released, within 10 seconds the brake lights come back on and remain steady on. When I go over bumps in the road, this may turn the brake lights on or off. Most of the time my brake lights are on, until the brakes are applied and the lights usually turn off. I have addressed this issue to no avail from the dealer I bought the car from, as well as with Chevrolet. I even brought it to a Chevrolet dealer after taking advice from Chevrolet to do so, and they cannot duplicate the problem to fix it. Their computer says there is not a problem, but there is!!! I have video of it too. This is always what is told to me, however, the second I get my car back, the problem occurs for me. I think this is total bs.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Oct 282011

Malibu 4-cyl

Made a transponder key, parts person at the GM dealership just started the engine with it and said it was already programmed.( he just tested to see if the key will start the engine.) when got home with original key and turned off the engine I tried to secure car with the remote and it did not work. Tried original key to start car everything was dead including battery. Disconnect and reconnect battery, now the security light does not come on, car can't start, there is nothing only the lights on dash with other icons. I don't know if the chip key that was made cause the system to fail. I hate to have to tow the car cause I know the dealer would charge me an arm and a leg. I hate to get the parts person in trouble. Is there someone on line can help solve this problem?

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Dec 282010

Malibu 6-cyl

Steering problems. I was in a turning lane with my son in the car. I heard a ding and power steering showed up on my display. I had no power steering! I am a small person and could barely turn the car and stay in my lane. When I got home I turned the car off for awhile, then went and turned it back on and the car was fine. I have driven the car only when I need to because I am afraid to drive it. I heard it will happen again. The car goes into the shop 1/3/11. There is also a knocking noise in the front end when I make a turn. Exterior lights. I've had to replace my head light bulbs about every three months this past year. Because of the lights going out. First one side then the other.

- Island Lake , IL, USA

Jul 062009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brakes lights would remain illuminated when the brakes were not being depressed. The brake lights would shut off when the brakes were depressed. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 09E012000 (exterior lighting).the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 38,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Oct 132010

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving my brake lights are staying on, I only know when someone tells me I have been taking my car to the dealership since 2007 and the problem still has not been fixed. I have cars hunk the horns at me and other drivers are flashing their lights because they don't know if I am stopping or going.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Sep 012010

Malibu 6-cyl

The brake lights on my 2006 Chevy Malibu work in reverse. Approx 45 seconds after the car is put into drive the brake lights come on and stay on until the brake pedal is depressed. This is not an intermittent problem but is continuous. I also cannot engage my cruise controls. It is a matter of time before a rear end collision occurs. I have researched this problem on line and it appears that many other consumers have had this problem too. All of which comment that their area dealers charged them a lot of money, were unsure of the fix, and in some cases the repairs made were only temporary fixes. Several have mentioned replacing part # 15940467 which is a module.

- Summerfield, FL, USA

Sep 012009

Malibu

The brake lights on my 2006 Chevrolet Malibu ltz sometimes work the opposite from how they should (I.e. when the brake pedal is applied the brake lights go out, when the brake pedal is released the brake lights come on). This problem is intermittent; sometimes the brake lights work normally. The issue was first noticed about a year ago and I took the car to the dealer. They thought it was a brake light indicator switch so they replaced it. The problem reappeared within a month. I have also noticed that the cruise control is affected by whatever is causing this problem. When the brake lights work normally, the cruise control also works. When the brake lights are opposite from normal the cruise control will not work.

- Sweet Valley, PA, USA

Apr 262010

Malibu

4/16/2010 - brake lights flicker even when not depressed. Took to dealership for repair on 4/17/2010. Dealer stated that brake pedal was "out of position" and repositioned pedal. 4/26/2010 - brake lights on solid when the car is on. Took to a dealership; replaced brake sensor switch. Only 28K miles on the car. Consequences - cars behind are unable to tell whether the car is truly braking or not, resulting in increased risk of accident.

- Oak Hill, VA, USA

Aug 022009

Malibu

I just found out last night that my 2006 Chevy Malibu ltz brake lights illuminate without pressing the brake pedal and when I do press the pedal it goes out. This would cause anyone following my vehicle not to see that I am braking and could cause a crash. Also my cruise control and my cigarette lighter went out. I am not sure if they are all connected somehow but the brakes are definitely a concern. I will say that my car does have a salvaged title but I don't know if that would cause the safety issue. I have owned the car for 4 months and they have worked until now. I have an appointment to get it fixed and am not driving it till than.

- Ottumwa, IA, USA

May 302006

Malibu

38K mile 2006 Chevy Malibu V-6-car shakes/vibrates/shimmies. It also rattles and clunks underneath at all speeds, feels like the bottom is falling out. Dealer refuses to acknowledge a minimum of 7 complaints. Headlights lenses are loose and the lights shake all over the place. Dealer did finally acknowledge headlight issue after the 4th complaint and I was told it is a GM problem but they have no fix and there is nothing they can do. Now that the warranty is up, they are acknowledging all previous complaints (many more than just the couple I listed here) but at my expense when these issues S/H/B taken care of at the time of the original and numerous complaints.

- Henrietta, NY, USA

Aug 012008

Malibu

Brake lights turn on without pressing pedal, yet lights turn off when pedal is pressed. Requires almost full pedal pressure to actuate brake lights, so lights actually do not operate correctly until almost fully braking, such as during a quick stop. Have had many instances in traffic of other vehicles nearly colliding with me while slowing down, obviously from the lack of correctly functioning brake lights.

- Cool Ridge, WV, USA