2.6

2006 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 132016

Malibu

Power steering fails when accelerating. Brought car to vandergriff Chevy initially to be repaired, and was charged over $600. Found out about recall notice, but dealership denied one was issued and refused refund. Continued to have problems. Turn signal lights blow out and must be replaced regularly (about every 3 months). Brought car to graff Chevy for power steering and light signal recall repairs. Continued to have problems. Informed graff Chevy and returned for repairs. Still having the same problems in spite of repairs done.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

May 012016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle and depressing the brake pedal, the brake lights would fail. In addition, when not depressing the brake pedal, the brake lights would illuminate. The contact indicated that the remedy for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control ) was previously performed in the fall on 2015 but the failure reoccurred in May 2016. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Painter, VA, USA

Jan 302016

Malibu

I'll start by saying my vehicle had approximately 84,000 miles on it when this issue occurred a few weeks ago and is very well cared for and maintained. While driving on the highway at night I noticed that my break lights were not coming on when I pressed the break (I didn't see them illuminating the car behind me). While stopped in traffic I noticed that if I pressed the break pedal as far as it could go the lights would come on. The breaks lights then started working properly for about 15 minutes, then they started working in reverse order (breaks not pressed and light switch on, breaks pressed and break lights switch off). I brought the vehicle into a Chevy dealer to have this issue looked at, and referenced that it was showing the symptoms described in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000. The dealer noted that I had already had the repairs for 14V252000 back in 2014 so it could not be due to that issue. In the end the deal changed my break switch and pedal position sensor, which has resolved the issue. I would ask that 14V252000 be updated to require the break switch and pedal position switch be replaced. I believe GM's response to original complaints of 14V252000 is not adequate. I am fortunate to be very observant of what my vehicle is doing, others will be much less fortunate and the results will lead to a crash.

- Milton, MA, USA

Jun 302015

Malibu

In Sept 2014, I had my 2006 Malibu repaired under GM recall 13036. At the end of June 2015, I noticed that my brake lights were malfunctioning. I took my car to a local mechanic for repair, which was the same work that was done for the recall. At the end of July 2015, the malfunction return again. I contacted Chevy via email and phone, and was first told that there wasn't a recall for this problem. I called again and explain that I was having the problem described in recall 13036 (" these fluctuations can cause one or more of these conditions: The brake lights to illuminate without the brake pedal being pushed; the brake lights to not illuminate when the pedal is pushed"). I was then told that there was a recall, but that mine was "closed" since I had already had it done once. I am concerned that I will be rear-ended because of the malfunctioning brake lights, which is a problem that Chevy/GM is aware of, having already issued a recall.

- Munhall, PA, USA

Dec 222014

Malibu

While driving my car days after I purchased it, suddenly the instrument panel lights started flashing on and off. This includes gas gauge, oil light, check engine soon, ABS, speedometer, dome light, radio, ... also showed on instrument panel an image of a car and a lock. Etc.. it flashed on and off for a while then completely went out. So I was unable to determine speed, how much gas was in the tank no inside light or radio.. the weather was below zero with a wind chill factor and I assumed it had something to do with that. After a few days everything came back except radio. An additional couple of days and radio came back. The car went in for inspection with in 10 days of purchase. Nothing was said, about electrical or instrument panel. Now on or about June 10th the same thing is happening more continuous flashing and electrical going out. It flashes when you start the car and continuously flashes while you drive sometimes just going blank for a while.. thank you.

- Oswego, NY, USA

Dec 082014

Malibu 6-cyl

I can't use my headlamp cause something is wrong with the wire harness if I use my headlamp while drive smoke will come from under the hood I have to always keep them off while drive or sitting still cause I don't want it to catch a fire.

- Carrollton, MS, USA

Nov 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

Headlights have started to fail on a regular interval. I have replaced the low beams 4 times. I just purchased two more because the right low beam has failed again. No, I do not touch the quartz halogen lamp. I have worked with these bulbs for many years.

- Wickliffe, OH, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to recall notices. The consumer stated two days after the first recall repair, because the repair was not fully completed, due to lack of parts, she experienced two episodes which she deemed unsafe. While sitting with her foot on the brake, and the vehicle in drive, she suddenly felt a slight shift, as if the vehicle was trying to move forward, which it did, without any warning. The vehicle bumped a car in front of her. The consumer referenced recall # 14V252000.

- Lake City, SC, USA

Sep 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for the recall repair and was later informed that the part was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 11/20/14 updated 8/12/2015

- Chugiak, AK, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to torque sensor assembly; wiring harness to the BCM or mag beam and transmission shift cable that may fracture at any time. The consumer was informed, the parts were not available.

- North Massapequa, NY, USA

Sep 112014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train). The parts needed to perform the recall repairs were unavailable. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Stroudburg, PA, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bloomington , IN, USA

May 132012

Malibu 4-cyl

I was making a left hand turn when the "power steering" error appeared. All lights turned off in the vehicle and the steering wheel locked; it was as if the vehicle had turned off. I coasted down the street until I parked the car and actually turned the vehicle off. At that point, I was unable to restart the vehicle. The next morning we found the timing belt was broken; once replaced, the vehicle restarted. Since then, the "power steering" error has displayed numerous times. When turning the wheel extremely left or right, the steering wheels locks. I then have to turn off the vehicle and restart it in order for it to reset. Just yesterday, I was reversing out of a parking spot when the "power steering" error displayed and my steering wheel locked up again. This time I did not have to turn the vehicle off; as it reset on its own. I have been advised by GM that my vehicle is not included in the current recall (GM recall # N140115) as my vehicle was not assembled in the same plant as the recalled vehicles. Clearly my car has a problem with it's power steering. Per GM recall # N140115, "in the affected vehicles, there may be a sudden loss of electric power steering (eps) assist that could occur at any time while driving".

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 012013

Malibu

I have had to replace the headlights and brake lights repeatedly over the past year. When I turn the air conditioning off when I am already sitting, stopped, the car lunges forward and the brake has to be pressed further down in order to stop the car again.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 212012

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake lights stay on when driving, but do not come on when applying the brakes.

- Lewistown, PA, USA

Jun 232010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the brake lights illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed and dimmed when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Savage , MN, USA

Apr 172013

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake lights coming on without depressing brake pedal when driving car.

- Mancheater, MO, USA

Aug 142013

Malibu

When I press down on the gas my brake lights come on and when I press down on the brakes they turn off. However, the brake lights do come on when I press the brakes all the way down to the floor.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Aug 302012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, he was informed that the brake lights were illuminated despite the brake pedal not being depressed. The contact purchased a brake sensor from a dealer and installed the component himself however, the failure recurred. He then installed a second sensor but the failure continued to recur. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 224,821.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Mar 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

Cruise control went off. Tried to reset to no avail. Drove approximately 20 miles. Reset cruise control and it worked then stopped working. Stopped the car and checked the brake lights which were steady on. Pushed the brake hard and they went off when the pedal was released. Pushed the brakes again and the brake lights flashed off and on intermittently. Drove another 10 miles and the cruise control was working. A person following me stated my brake lights stayed on whether I was accelerating or stopping.

- Conroe, TX, USA