2007 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu:

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 252014

Malibu 6-cyl

I notice my wires smoke some times when I drive, and when I put my foot on the brakes I have to do it more than two times and I had that fixed in February 2013. My fuel pump went out and I replaced it( onfebruary 15, 2014). Just about a week after getting my car fixed it seems to hesitate when I put my foot on the accelerator. I took it to get it looked at and no one could find anything wrong and it is yet doing this.

- Littlerock, AR, USA

Jun 152010

Malibu 6-cyl

When braking for a stop the car shudders and shakes. The steering wheel vibrates and the sounds are horrible. It sounds as if the dashboard is going to fall out on your lap. We have had the brakes serviced on multiple occasions (rotors replaced, turned) and at one time the front axle was replaced being suspected of being bent. (it wasn't. cost $1600+) there are many stories of this occurrence on the internet forums and nothing is being done about it by the manufacturer. We own cars that are freaking scary to drive and impossible to sell. Having to stop in an emergency or very quickly may not even be possible the shaking is so violent.

- Mount Pleasant, UT, USA

Jun 302011

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake lights come on and do not shut off (this is an intermittent problem but has gradually worsened to the point where it is happening almost all of the time now). Also, the cruise control does not work and at times it is difficult shifting out of park. We have brought the car to two different Chevy dealerships twice each, and to a private mechanic twice (for a total of 6 service trips). Despite spending several hundred dollars, none of them have fixed the problem. Someone almost hit me from behind a couple weeks ago because my brake lights did not change - he followed me to a gas station and yelled at me! it is so bad now that we don't dare drive the car for safety reasons, and cannot sell it for the same reason. My girlfriend bought this car when it was brand new and it is not only unsafe and dangerous, but unbeleiveably frustrating that they just keep charging us more money but don't fix the problem.

- Stacy, MN, USA

Oct 082008

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brake lights would turn on although the brake was not engaged. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the brake light switch was defective and needed to be replaced. The remedy failed to repair the issue. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 12,000 and the current mileage was 97,000.

- Chelsea, MI, USA

Jun 042013

Malibu 4-cyl

When I hit my brakes the brake lights go off and come on for a moment. When I get off the brakes the lights stay on.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

The brake lights stay on while driving and turn off while applying the brakes. Cruise control does not always work. Car is hard to put in gear - you have apply brakes hard to put the car in gear.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Aug 102012

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake lights are working backwards! when brake peddle is pushed the break lights do not come on. When you are not pressing the break peddle; the brake lights are on. Cruise control doesn't engage and the gear shift is very difficult to move into place. Of course the brake light situation is the most hazardous!! after multiple shop visits, attempted fixes and even a call to GM; (which they lied about never having this issue on other makes/model/years) there was a recall in 2009 for Malibu's that had this exact issue and supposedly all GM dealerships were to know how to fix this issue should this "problem arise in other models". out of the 5 dealers I called explaining my issues not one knew how to fix the problem. Did a lot of research on my own and explained it to a dealer of how others had fixed the issue. That worked and fixed every one of the problems I was having. Now, in March 2013 the issues are starting again. First it starts with the gear shift being very hard to shift gears into place. Then the cruise stops engaging. Hopefully the brake light issue wont happen again.

- Urbana, MO, USA

Feb 112013

Malibu 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Chevy Malibu and am having problems with my brake lights. Currently my brake lights don't illuminate when I step on the brake pedal, but will illumnate when I take my foot off the brake pedal. Sometimes brake lights will stay on during my entire drive whether or not I'm using the brake pedal. Happens randomly, with no discernable causes. Article in fox news dated 3/13/2013 ( ) indicates NHTSA is actively researching possible recalls, but calls to my dealer and GM customer care we of no use. Both my dealer and GM customer care told me there were no active recalls, and that I just need to get the problem fixed myself and then I could request reimbursement at a future date if any recall did happen. It's disappointing that a company as large as GM wouldn't proactively help their customers when a known problem exists in a large number of vehicles. Also mentioned in this article were problems concerning the cruise control. My cruise control will randomly stop working, or not even allow me the option of using cruise. This is not as big of a safety concern as the brake light issue, but again, mention of this problem occuring is one more reason I believe GM should be more proactive in helping their customers deal with the specific issues and concerns already being address/investigated by the NHTSA.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA