2007 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu:

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 7 of 22)

Jan 052015

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at 35 mph, the steering wheel started to shake and seized. In addition, the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electric power steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering) however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 156,662. Updated 3/31/15 updated 04/07/15

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Feb 092015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while attempting to reverse at a low speed, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply excessive force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The seat belt warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 172015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 25 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel seized and was difficult to maneuver. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power motor/module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 146,000.

- Morgansville , MD, USA

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering warning came on for the first time. The steering wheel shot out of my hand and the car veered, almost causing a wreck. It has happened again since. Sometimes when I start the car it comes on and the only way to fix it is to restart the car.

- Van Buren, AR, USA

Feb 102015

Malibu 4-cyl

Nothing has happened yet. I am in the process of getting it fixed. While I was driving (and it has happened 5 times now) I here a sound and look at my radio and it says power steering. The steering seems to be fine. My friend was going to put power steering fluid in but there was no place to put it. We looked on line and found that there were recalls for this problem but not for the 2007 model year. On February 14th it was announced that the 2007 model Chevy Malibu is included. I took my car to the dealership today and had 2 other recalls fixed that I never knew of. The recall for the power steering was not in the system. The guy at the GM dealership said that the recall may not involve my particular car or that it could take a while to get the recall in the system. It just seems ironic that the power steering signal just so happened to sound about 4 days before the recall was announced for the 2007 Malibu.

- Burton, MI, USA

Malibu 4-cyl

Driving down the road chimes came on. Power steering message came across message display. This happened a few times. Then Monday 2/16/15 same thing happened but this time "I lost all power steering"and I could barely turn the wheel to make a left turn. All power steering lost.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Dec 152014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while reversing, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply excessive force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. In addition, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel moved independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the torque sensor and the power steering assist motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Baxley, GA, USA

Jan 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated several times and the steering wheel was tight along with a strong vibration. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V064000 (steering) and 14E044000 (steering). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 117,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 102015

Malibu

The power steering in this vehicle shuts off intermittently when driving. Sometimes when the car is turned on the power steering does not work at all. If the car is turned off and then back on, sometimes the power steering will return for a short period of time. When the car is on and in park, the steering wheels shivers and shakes without any input from the driver. The steering wheel will naturally turn to the left even when the vehicle is not moving. The most dangerous thing about this issue is going around sharp corners. When pulling on the steering wheel with a lot of force to turn it, sometimes the power steering returns and the steering wheel turns really fast making it hard to maintain control of the car. The power steering was recalled on this model in 2005, 2006, 2008, and 2009. The problem obviously still persists on the 2007 model and it should be placed on recall.

- Muscoda, WI, USA

Feb 122015

Malibu 4-cyl

On 2-12-2015, I experienced a electric power steering failure on my 2007 Chevy Malibu at which time nearly caused me to crash the vehicle when the steering suddenly was extremely difficult to operate. I brought the vehicle to a G.M dealership where they informed me that my vehicle did not fall under the recall for this issue. It appears that this has been an issue with GM vehicles. There is a recall going on for the exact failure I'm having on my vehicle for 1 million vehicles surrounding my model year with an additional 80,000 vehicles added just this week. Could someone please look into this problem it is obvious that with vehicles made before my manufacture date and after that this vehicle should probably fall under the same recall! thank you in advance.

- Barnegat, NJ, USA

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving down the road the steering wheel started shaking and car was pulling to the left and then the power steering completely stopped working. Had to turn car off and start again then the power steering started working again. This has happened multiple times. When it happens I am usually driving down the road and unable to turn steering wheel. I am scared that when this happens I will not be able to control car, wreck and injury myself my children or others. I looked on online and seen where a lot of people are having the same problem with the 2007 Malibu. I feel this issue is very dangerous and unsafe.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Feb 162015

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 70 mph, the power steering light illuminated and the steering ability seized. The contact had to maneuver to the side of the road. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power steering failed. The vehicle was driven home and was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000. Updated 4/29/15 updated 05/05/15

- Lorain, OH, USA

Jan 172014

Malibu

I experienced my steering wheel lock up on several instances. I automatically started my car to go to work at 5am. When I arrived to my car to leave the wheel was tight to turn. I instantly panicked because I never experience this before. I turned the car off and restarted it was fine. It was frightening as I drove my car on the expressway over 10 miles to work. I figured maybe it was some strange glitch because it didn't happen again. Recently I have experienced this issue in the worst way. I can't park and it I so frustrating to even think how am I going to turn this car at traffic lights and corners. I believe the dealership does not want to repair it in a recall because it is quoted at a costly price. Why would they choose to put an electric power steering pump on this car? Chevy was a brand I could trust. I' M not so sure about them now.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 67 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply excessive force in order to turn the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that "power steering" was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to duplicate or repair the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Feb 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that after the vehicle was started, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 121,000.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Jan 232015

Malibu 6-cyl

When stopped at a stop light, while in gear and brake pedal engaged, the steering wheel ticked or jerked. The next morning, approximately 16 hours later, when the vehicle was started the radio display screen showed power steering. Then when the vehicle was put in gear and reversed the wheel was nearly impossible to turn. The car was returned to park and left for several hours. When started after that time there was no message on the radio screen and drove just fine.

- Fox Lake, IL, USA

Feb 062015

Malibu

Power steering went out all of a sudden after starting my car. Shut it off and turned it back on and it started to work again. Just now happened and with it being winter this is a dangerous situation. GM needs to get rolling on this before they have another wrongful death lawsuit.

- Albion, IN, USA

Feb 042015

Malibu

I had been having problems with the steering wheel shaking when slowing down to stop and while being stopped. It got worse over a few days time and then on Wednesday it was extremely bad shaking violently while going at slower speeds. I made an appointment but I had to go to my doctors seeing as I am 8 months pregnant. I parked my car in a parking garage went to the appointment and when I came back to my car and turned it on the power steering message came across the radio screen. I tried to get my car out of the parking space and I was unable to control it and almost hit 2 cars before finally being able to maneuver my car back into its original spot with no steering control. I had to have the car towed to the dealership where they said its as a sensor in power steering but apparently not the same sensor as the one recalled in the 05 06 08 and 09 models. I find this extremely hard to believe considering my car has the same exact problem as those models and 07 was the only year left out. GM needs to recall this year too how did they just happen to get the right parts and put in the right parts for 1 year and not for the 2 before and after really"??" you are putting my and my child at risk while being pregnant because you refuse to take responsibility for the problems with your cars!

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Mar 182014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Cahokia, IL, USA

Dec 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving kids to school the steering just went out. I almost ran off the road as it was icy. I was only able to gain the steering back after I restarted the several times. This is my 17 year old daughter's car. Had this happened while she was driving her brothers to school, they would have undoubtedly had an accident. This part cost over $600 to repair and the dealer indicated that it is a 'known issue' and they had to go through several parts during the repair to find one that worked"! seriously? this is a student level car and having issues makes a difference between life and death. What happens when this one just stops working"

- Omaha, NE, USA