2008 Chevrolet Malibu seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu:

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 272016

Malibu

A few weeks ago my wife was driving here 2008 Malibu and she smelled a slight burning and very strong chemical odor in the car, shortly after that the service warning light came on for the air bag system. Windows had to be opened for the remainder of the 30 minute trip. Sometime later my wife removed something from the front passenger seat and notice a color change to circular pale yellow with a central charred mark in part of the cover material, upon touching seat cover material disintegrated and disappeared into the seat. A picture is attached of the passenger seat. Later I investigated the service light and found B0081 symptom 71 was set. I believe the seat sensor shorted out causing the seat cover and foam to smolder possibly on its way to an open flame before the power source failed. The VIN number 1G1zj57B18F205076. A copy of this letter will also be send to the NHTSA.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Oct 172016

Malibu

Front end was wreck, daughter lip busted, no airbag explode

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 072015

Malibu

Takata recall, the vehicle constantly displays service air bag system and will not activate. Doesnt matter if in motion or not the warning goes on and off at random.

- Neosho, MO, USA

Jul 062016

Malibu

Bought my car 3 months ago from a Chevy dealership, 3 days later my service airbag lights came on. I took it back to the dealership and was told I would have to pay to get it fixed, they said that my airbags would not deploy if this light was on. Why should I pay for a safety feature that should not have problems? its like selling a car with a passenger seatbelt only. I do not feel I should have to pay for my airbags to be worked on. With all of the recalls for airbags I think they missed my year make and model. Its rediculous

- Wooster, OH, USA

Jan 102015

Malibu

Went I bought the car had been give problem now the car smell like is leaking gas and the airbag system turn on my front wheel crack went I turn right or left I took to the dearlship they said they fix the problem but still does same thing they don't help anything make me waste my time my car I peace sh*t I wanted my all my money back

- La Puente, CA, USA

Nov 092015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Sep 062015

Malibu

An airbag warning light shows on and off advising that the airbag system needs checked.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Oct 182015

Malibu

My gas tank started leaking for no reason (no wear and tear-every mechanic said that is almost unheard of), my power windows and lock stopped working 2 years after purchase and was told that I had to pay almost $300 to fix each motor for the door locks and windows, the service airbag light has been on for more than a year, my ac also have issues; the sensor and thermostat has been changed 6 times within the last 4 years. I am sick of all of these issues and have no assistance with it. No matter how many times I called the local dealerships here, coincidentally, my warranty was up on every issue I faced. GM has really taken a lot of money out of my pockets. I was informed of the power steering issue and was told my vehicle would be in the shop for 1 day, which turned into 5 days, and I was denied to be reimbursed for the rental fees, which were almost $600. Someone needs to do something about these issues, because my car is extremely unsafe for myself and 3 children. The windows will not go up or down at times, whether the vehicle is parked or not. The ac is the same issue, the parts will go out whether I am driving it or not. The gas leak issue is awful, because the car wreaks of gas, and my car burns gas whether it is powered on or not. The door locks have not worked since the end of 2010 and we have to manually lock and unlock. The issues with my car are there 24/7, and happens if the car is in motion or not. Although, the issues I have been having have been going on for a while, except the gas leak issue which is recently, I have no choice but put the start as today's present date, because each issue started at different times and continue to cause issues, even after many attempts to repair with some issues.

- Broussard, LA, USA

Sep 032015

Malibu

Electrical and module problems safety hazards with traction control. Tc on when it should not be. Fuel system problems. Car powers off during driving. GM refused repair without charging 120 to look at. Had to disconnect fuses and had to pull actuators pressure. Sensors fuel and electrical. Door latches going up and down even when car is off. Cannot drive highway. GM refused vehicle from repair or compensation.

- Washington, MI, USA

Aug 242015

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. After the vehicle was started, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 44,687. Updated 11/06/15 updated 11/10/15.

- North Ponawanda, NY, USA

Apr 012014

Malibu

My "service air bag" sign lights up on my dashboard at random. I had it looked at by a local Chevrolet service center last summer (2014). They came up with several scenarios that added up to more than 1,700 dollars. The problem is still not fixed. I wrote the chief executive officer of the General Motors corporation to try to get any further fees associated with the air bag problem waived, because I thought 1,700 dollars was enough, and they did not agree to my request. In the meantime, I'm hoping that I don't have a seriously dangerous problem with my air bag. Thank you for your time.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 042009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at any speed, the air bag warning light remained illuminated. In addition, the fuel gauge failed to display the accurate reading level and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Harrison, OH, USA

Aug 082013

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. After starting the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000. Updated 7/10/15 the consumer stated the air bag light illuminated when there was no one sitting in the passenger seat. Updated 08/06/15

- Edmonton, KY, USA

Jan 302015

Malibu 6-cyl

Air bag warning light comes on and says to service airbags. Will stay on until I turn off the car and restart it. Will do this every couple of days. I have pictures of it.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Dec 092014

Malibu 6-cyl

The passenger air bag indicator light shows the passenger air bag is off when there is someone sitting in the seat, sometimes it works, sometimes not. This is a safety item and there should be a recall for this.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 292014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Dec 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

My son was driving home from college and his driver and passenger curtain airbags and driver seat airbags deployed for no reason. He did not hit anything and nothing hit him. He sustained mild injuries due to this malfunction of the airbags. He will be going to the doctors due to residue in the eye, a burning feeling on side of face, and neck hurting.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Oct 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

Messages: 1. svs air bag, also when passenger in car, air bag is off. 2. svs tire monitor, also thinks I have a flat when all 4 tires are filled.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Nov 032014

Malibu

Gear shift indicator failed again. It was fixed under a previous recall back in July 2014. Also there is an airbag light that has began to display, but Chevy states that the recall covers 2008 Impala, not the Malibu models.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Apr 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the service air bag light remained illuminated. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000.

- Milton , FL, USA