2008 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu:

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 14 of 15)

Mar 012010

Malibu

I am hearing a "knocking" when I turn the vehicle left or right. This vehicle has had many internet reports of steering problems. I will be taking my vehicle in today March 10,2010 to see if this is in fact the problem. I am just being precautious due to the high volume of complaints before mine. The problem occurs everytime I turn.

- Adelanto, CA, USA

Jul 182009

Malibu

I have a 2008 Chevy Malibu that has some steering issues. The steering wheel will jerk back and forth while driving or while sitting still, steering wheel makes a popping noise when turning. 2 of the 4 door locks completely quit working electronically. So many more problems, this car is a lemon and GM and the government should be ashamed for making this vehicle car of the year.

- Blytheville, AR, USA

Oct 012009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 60 mph the steering wheel began to shake and it became difficult to control it. The steering wheel also locked. There were no warning lights prior to the failure. He took the vehicle to the dealer five times. The dealer replaced the intermediate shaft and the computer was reprogrammed, but the failure was not corrected. He will take the vehicle back to the dealer to replace the steering column rod. The failure mileage was 31,000 and the current mileage was 40,000.

- Callbert, OK, USA

Oct 102009

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to turn the steering wheel in either direction, there was a hesitation in the vehicle responding to driver input. The dealer replaced the power steering motor in an attempt to correct the failure. Later, while turning the vehicle in either direction, he heard a clanking noise coming from the steering wheel. The dealer added grease to the steering wheel to correct the failure, however the repairs would only last temporarily and he would have to continue having grease added in order for it to function. The dealer stated that the failure would persist for the life of the vehicle and once the vehicle reached 32,000, the repairs would be at the owner's expense. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was approximately 32,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 08/13/10. Updated 08/23/10

- North Cambria, PA, USA

Feb 272010

Malibu

2008 Chevy Malibu power steering failure.

- Columbia City, OR, USA

Feb 272010

Malibu

2008 Chevy Malibu power steering failure.

- Columbia City, OR, USA

Feb 062010

Malibu

Steering problem: Steering wheel oscillates while car is idling, also has a catch at or near center point while driving. It tries to lock and then release. Will also oscillate while traveling. Happens at different speeds but is mostly driven in the 35 to 55mph range. Also is affected with brake pressure. Dealer could not find anything wrong. It seems to be happening more often but with no pattern.

- Lake City, FL, USA

Oct 152009

Malibu

My 2008 Chevrolet Malibu has the same electric power steering motor problems that GM issued recalls for the cobalt and G5 today. The car sporadically has tremors that happen mainly at low speed but has happened at highway speeds. Will the recall be expanded to include Malibu?

- Howell, MI, USA

Dec 012009

Malibu

2008 Chevy Malibu steering seems to be entirely too lose. Car loses control for quick instances. Chevy cant seem to find the problem.

- Williamstown, NJ, USA

Feb 082009

Malibu

Electronic power steering problems causing steering wheel to jerk to left and right.

- Leeds, AL, USA

Feb 012010

Malibu

A recently purchased 2008 Chevy Malibu lt has some serious steering issues, (this car has electric steering) when driving at low or high speeds the wheel feels like it is fighting against you, it feels like there is a lot of resistance there. Also at idle with your foot on the brake the wheel will pulse back and forth, left and right without touching the wheel. I informed the dealer who said it is out of warranty (44,000miles) and couldn't do anything even though he acknowledged there are some issues with the car. Scared to drive. Please help!

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jan 202010

Malibu

-2008 chev. Malibue 2lt 2.4 4 cylender with power electric steering. Problem: When you 1st strup the vehicle the steering wheel shakes back and forth. You have to shut down and re start the vehicle to stop the problem. The dealership has completely changed out the steering column but it still does it twice it has occuring while driving when I 1st started up and I had to stop the vehicle and shut off the motor etc. To stop the shaking. This has happened approx: 15 times since I got the vehicle new in Jan/08

- Tillsonburg, 00, USA

Dec 102009

Malibu

I drive a 2008 Malibu. 95% of my driving is done on the freeway. I have 55K miles on the car and the steering started to shake and get stiff for no apparent reason. I live in Ohio and the winters get cold. I first thought that this might be the cause of it but, after reading some blogs on the internet I found that this seems to be a problem no matter where you live. I went to my car dealer and he told me that it is not covered because of my mileage. I do not consider this to be the normal wear and tear of a car and I am afraid that if I don't get this fixed I will be injured from failure to control my car. Sometimes I will drive down the road and all of a sudden the steering wheel locks up to where I have to pull on it hard to free it up. The only coarse of action that I see that I can take to correct the failure is pay GM to fix their problem that was not a result of abuse or natural wear and tear since they have not issued a recall. If who ever reads this would simply just google this topic you will see that this is becoming a growing problem that will result in injuries if GM does not recall it.

- Hubbard, OH, USA

Jan 072010

Malibu

I have a 2008 Chevy Malibu, with 42,000 miles and it has electric power steering and it seems that the power steering is about to go out. A message has only appeared once on the indicator screen in the dash about the power steering, but the steering wheel continuously shakes and it steering feels like it wants to lock up. Now my check engine light is on. The diagnostics says it has to do with the cam actuator sensor"??"

- Gibson, NC, USA

Oct 012009

Malibu

Power steering on vehicle temporarily fails while driving. Also steering wheel often shakes from side to side while sitting idle.

- Orleans, IN, USA

Nov 012008

Malibu

2008 Chevy Malibu, makes thumping sound turning at lower speeds, wheel feels mushy and shakes. Told by dealer its the intermediate steering column. Concerned about potential danger. Car out of warranty, they want over $200 to fix it. Should be a safety recall, as I have talked to other GM owners who have the same problem.

- Austintown, OH, USA

Sep 232009

Malibu

I was driving approx 45 miles per hour on a one lane road. My car dic displayed power steering the wheel began to shake, pulled to the left and became very hard to steer, almost making me hit the car in oncoming traffic, the lady driving the other vehicle swerved onto the shoulder which prevented the accident. I shut the car off. A mechanic friend of mine came to my location and could not find any issues with the vehicle because apparently the electric assist power steering resets once the vehicle is shut off. This incident could have been tragic and by the grace of god it was not. After checking on the internet my understanding is I am not a sole individual experiencing this type of problem with the 2005 and newer Chevy Malibu. Please prevent these type of occurrences from continuing before someone is killed.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Jul 012009

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering column abnormally shakes as if was loose. She took the vehicle to the dealer on three occasions, but because they could not locate diagnostic error codes, or duplicate the failure they could not provide a remedy. A complaint was filed with the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 5,000. The current mileage was 27,000. Updated 10/21/09. The consumer stated for the past 6 months, when the brakes were applied, it felt as though she was loosing steering ability. The steering wheel would shake violently from time to time. Updated 10/23/09

- Fort Ann, NY, USA

Aug 072009

Malibu

2008 Malibu 2lt 2.4L steering wheel would jerk left and right on its own. This would happen when the vehicle was in motion and parked. Definite safety issue when in motion. Dealer stated that the steering mechanism was looking for center. Dealer reprogrammed steering unit and said should be fixed. The same problem recurred 5 miles down the road after leaving dealership. Took car back same day and dealership called GM. GM had dealership replace the power steering control module assembly. The problem is fixed for now.

- Port Allegany, PA, USA

Mar 182009

Malibu

Steering wheel jerking left and right while at low speed and setting still.

- Collinwood, TN, USA