2008 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu:

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 14 of 15)

Apr 012010

Malibu

Problem with my 2008 Chevrolet Malibu power steering. Was driving and suddenly the steering had a mind of its own, pulling slightly to the right and then left. Became somewhat lethargic in responsiveness.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Mar 272010

Malibu

The steering will suddenly vibrate and cause me to lose control of the car and as a result I have almost gotten into a few accidents.. it happens without warning. The manfacture has a bulletin about this problem but refused to fix it. I then went to a local mechanic who was able to download the correct information into the power steering module. I believe this should be a recall and force the manfacture to correct all effective cars and not get away with refusing to fix it and thus make it look like there is no problem

- Davison, MI, USA

Mar 152010

Malibu

2008 Chevrolet Malibu steering free wheels at times jerks side to side at times at any speed. Brakes fade at times rumble.this week I contacted General Motors waiting to hear what I should do. Did search on internet and I seen hundreds of people that have same problem.and they say dealer cannot repair.has anyone investigated Malibu steering problems it scares me when it stops working.all at once the steering jerks side to side.hard to turn at low speed.car has 27000 miles and has had intermittent problems with steering and brakes since I bought it afraid to take it to dealer they say nothing is wrong with it but I say there wrong.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Feb 012010

Malibu

There was a clunking noise in the steering mechanism, especially at low speed. The dealer stated that it was the intermediate steering shaft. It was replaced at a cost of $371.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Mar 012010

Malibu

I am hearing a "knocking" when I turn the vehicle left or right. This vehicle has had many internet reports of steering problems. I will be taking my vehicle in today March 10,2010 to see if this is in fact the problem. I am just being precautious due to the high volume of complaints before mine. The problem occurs everytime I turn.

- Adelanto, CA, USA

Jul 182009

Malibu

I have a 2008 Chevy Malibu that has some steering issues. The steering wheel will jerk back and forth while driving or while sitting still, steering wheel makes a popping noise when turning. 2 of the 4 door locks completely quit working electronically. So many more problems, this car is a lemon and GM and the government should be ashamed for making this vehicle car of the year.

- Blytheville, AR, USA

Oct 012009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 60 mph the steering wheel began to shake and it became difficult to control it. The steering wheel also locked. There were no warning lights prior to the failure. He took the vehicle to the dealer five times. The dealer replaced the intermediate shaft and the computer was reprogrammed, but the failure was not corrected. He will take the vehicle back to the dealer to replace the steering column rod. The failure mileage was 31,000 and the current mileage was 40,000.

- Callbert, OK, USA

Oct 102009

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to turn the steering wheel in either direction, there was a hesitation in the vehicle responding to driver input. The dealer replaced the power steering motor in an attempt to correct the failure. Later, while turning the vehicle in either direction, he heard a clanking noise coming from the steering wheel. The dealer added grease to the steering wheel to correct the failure, however the repairs would only last temporarily and he would have to continue having grease added in order for it to function. The dealer stated that the failure would persist for the life of the vehicle and once the vehicle reached 32,000, the repairs would be at the owner's expense. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was approximately 32,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 08/13/10. Updated 08/23/10

- North Cambria, PA, USA

Feb 272010

Malibu

2008 Chevy Malibu power steering failure.

- Columbia City, OR, USA

Feb 272010

Malibu

2008 Chevy Malibu power steering failure.

- Columbia City, OR, USA

Feb 062010

Malibu

Steering problem: Steering wheel oscillates while car is idling, also has a catch at or near center point while driving. It tries to lock and then release. Will also oscillate while traveling. Happens at different speeds but is mostly driven in the 35 to 55mph range. Also is affected with brake pressure. Dealer could not find anything wrong. It seems to be happening more often but with no pattern.

- Lake City, FL, USA

Oct 152009

Malibu

My 2008 Chevrolet Malibu has the same electric power steering motor problems that GM issued recalls for the cobalt and G5 today. The car sporadically has tremors that happen mainly at low speed but has happened at highway speeds. Will the recall be expanded to include Malibu?

- Howell, MI, USA

Dec 012009

Malibu

2008 Chevy Malibu steering seems to be entirely too lose. Car loses control for quick instances. Chevy cant seem to find the problem.

- Williamstown, NJ, USA

Feb 082009

Malibu

Electronic power steering problems causing steering wheel to jerk to left and right.

- Leeds, AL, USA

Feb 012010

Malibu

A recently purchased 2008 Chevy Malibu lt has some serious steering issues, (this car has electric steering) when driving at low or high speeds the wheel feels like it is fighting against you, it feels like there is a lot of resistance there. Also at idle with your foot on the brake the wheel will pulse back and forth, left and right without touching the wheel. I informed the dealer who said it is out of warranty (44,000miles) and couldn't do anything even though he acknowledged there are some issues with the car. Scared to drive. Please help!

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jan 202010

Malibu

-2008 chev. Malibue 2lt 2.4 4 cylender with power electric steering. Problem: When you 1st strup the vehicle the steering wheel shakes back and forth. You have to shut down and re start the vehicle to stop the problem. The dealership has completely changed out the steering column but it still does it twice it has occuring while driving when I 1st started up and I had to stop the vehicle and shut off the motor etc. To stop the shaking. This has happened approx: 15 times since I got the vehicle new in Jan/08

- Tillsonburg, 00, USA

Dec 102009

Malibu

I drive a 2008 Malibu. 95% of my driving is done on the freeway. I have 55K miles on the car and the steering started to shake and get stiff for no apparent reason. I live in Ohio and the winters get cold. I first thought that this might be the cause of it but, after reading some blogs on the internet I found that this seems to be a problem no matter where you live. I went to my car dealer and he told me that it is not covered because of my mileage. I do not consider this to be the normal wear and tear of a car and I am afraid that if I don't get this fixed I will be injured from failure to control my car. Sometimes I will drive down the road and all of a sudden the steering wheel locks up to where I have to pull on it hard to free it up. The only coarse of action that I see that I can take to correct the failure is pay GM to fix their problem that was not a result of abuse or natural wear and tear since they have not issued a recall. If who ever reads this would simply just google this topic you will see that this is becoming a growing problem that will result in injuries if GM does not recall it.

- Hubbard, OH, USA

Jan 072010

Malibu

I have a 2008 Chevy Malibu, with 42,000 miles and it has electric power steering and it seems that the power steering is about to go out. A message has only appeared once on the indicator screen in the dash about the power steering, but the steering wheel continuously shakes and it steering feels like it wants to lock up. Now my check engine light is on. The diagnostics says it has to do with the cam actuator sensor"??"

- Gibson, NC, USA

Oct 012009

Malibu

Power steering on vehicle temporarily fails while driving. Also steering wheel often shakes from side to side while sitting idle.

- Orleans, IN, USA

Nov 012008

Malibu

2008 Chevy Malibu, makes thumping sound turning at lower speeds, wheel feels mushy and shakes. Told by dealer its the intermediate steering column. Concerned about potential danger. Car out of warranty, they want over $200 to fix it. Should be a safety recall, as I have talked to other GM owners who have the same problem.

- Austintown, OH, USA