2008 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu:

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 6 of 15)

Feb 232014

Malibu

Door locks stop working two years ago, noise with steering and power train. Every time I turn it makes a crazy noise.

- Morrow, GA, USA

Apr 092014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving and it did what it always does steering wheel shook and came up on information power steering failure but this time it didn't go back to normal steering and could not control. Got car home and afraid to drive again.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Apr 182012

Malibu 4-cyl

My power steering light has been on and is going out.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

On several occasions I received a message on the console "power steering" and could not turn the wheel. I would be in a parked position or pulling out (in reverse) of a parking spot. I would turn the car off and back on and the message would go away. Also I got a message regarding the passenger side air bag was not working. This would happen each time I would start the car and it would stay on.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Apr 032014

Malibu

I was just leaving a patient and turned right on to halsted ave at 109th in Chicago, il and my power steering indicator popped on, my vehicle became very sluggish and my speedometer stopped working but the car was moving I quickly pulled into a gas station and called my husband. The steering again was very sluggish and the speedometer was very unsteady. He was able to get it home. I took it to the shop, and found out there is a recall on 2008 Malibu because of this very problem. When I called them they told me my vehicle was not included in this recall and a second letter would be sent out on April 28, 2014. GM is really terrible about this they know this is a problem with there electronic power steering(eps) and yet want me to pay to get it fixed and hope for reimbursement now. Now if I wait for this letter will be in danger of a crash that they're are aware can happen..is there anything else I can do besides this complaint.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Jun 182013

Malibu

06/18/2013 sudden onset of steering pulling to the rt and popping @ brake pedal & steering wheel. Svc: Rotate & balance * did not fix problem. 06/23-service traction/traction off on dic. Svc: Scanned for codes-told to bring back when display on dic. 07/22 brake light out. Svc: Replaced bulb. 07/23 scanned for codes 3 times, checked battery/alternator. 09/11 brake job, turned rotors, ran scan, pulled BCM (passenger side) checked for fretting corrosion. 09/19 service traction finally on dic- replaced brake light switch, reset codes. 57 miles later warning back on. Scanned for codes-multiple codes. 09/20 ran scan while driving (svc traction not on dic)- multiple codes * recommended contact Chevrolet to be diagnosed - too many codes. Called chev. Customer service- referred to dealer. 10/03 @ dealer: Cs request scan for codes - has stabilitrac-tcontrol on-brake light on but press brakes and lights go off-diag only perf diag test ebcm code C056100 BCM code C0277 00. *replace bpp sensor, clean apply dielectric to BCM conn., relearn bpp sensor and clear codes. $212.23. On same wo: Cs: steering will pull or twitch lft to rt **perform spec. Policy 10183 steering assist. $0. */21@7:30am transporting my 2 disabled children to school, took rt and completely lost steering. Called for tow to dealer**cspower steering light comes on-steering tightens up-won't steer-then light goes off and steering comes back on. Perfdiag test code C0545 diag ps. Replace column & setup position sensor turning & torque sensor $763.08. * not fix steering popping & pulling. Called dealer in Nov. Wanted $65 diag. Fee. 02/02 took to independent shop: Lubed intermediate shaft per tsb did not fix. 02/11 svc traction back on!!! called dealer, told to bring in when on dic to scan for codes - really! wanted another $65.cannot afford to take into dealer. 04/03/14 steering popping and pulling! unsafe car!!!

- Opelika, AL, USA

Mar 172014

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering assist failed, making the steering wheel very difficult to turn. The contact also indicated that while at a stop light the steering wheel would shake. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted but no solution was offered. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering). The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited the same defect as listed in the recall. The failure mileage was 87,000. Updated 06/10/14 updated 06/13/14

- Mansfield , MA, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed numerous times with the illumination of the power steering warning light. Additionally, the vehicle would stall sporadically. The contact was able to restart the vehicle each time after each failure but only after several attempts. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the power steering column, power steering control module and the intermediate steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 139800. Updated 5/21/14 the dealer informed the consumer, the steering column, power steering control module and the intermediate steering shaft, all needed to be replaced. Updated 08/07/14

- New London, WI, USA

Mar 242011

Malibu 4-cyl

The front end makes clunking noises while turning. Dealership "fixed" it. Started doing the same thing a few weeks later. The steering wheel also shakes while driving. At times making it difficult to control. Very unsafe!!

- Warren, OH, USA

Mar 112014

Malibu 4-cyl

When I get into my car and start it the warning signal for power steering comes on the screen and there is no power steering. I shut off the car wait a few minutes and restart then its fine. The dealer says its a torque sensor on the steering column and that this car has electric motor driven power steering. The dealer also said even though there is a recall for this in other models mine is not included. I have read 5 out of 15 complaints about this steering problem on your web page. How do we pressure GM to take responsibility. The repair shop replaced the power steering module and torque sensor.

- Shawano, WI, USA

Nov 082012

Malibu 6-cyl

My 2008 Chevy Malibu ls; has alot of knocking in the steering column that make crunching noises when you turn and hit bumps in the street. The car squeaks on streets with no bumps and getting worse everyday. This happens at all speeds; you can hear the car coming down the street. I had to order the parts then pay to have them put on.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 242014

Malibu

Clunking noise when accelerating or decelerating; also when turning. Steering column wiggles at the wheel and shakes when moving towards higher speeds. Car pulls to the right when driving.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 152012

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering wheel shakes while driving on highway and streets. Power steering stopped working while trying to make a turn. First time steering started shaking is when I was on the highway, when it just started shaking and made my car go right onto the next lane.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jan 152014

Malibu 6-cyl

Steering wheel became very hard to turn. Front display shows "power steering" warning sign. Later a local mechanical recognized a recall notice from Chevrolet (bulletin N# 10183A May 23, 2012) which described exactly the same issue I was having. The bulletin also indicated that Chevrolet would fix the car at no charge. However Chevrolet refused to fix my car at no charge claiming that my car's VIN number was not associated to that recall notice in their system.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Feb 062014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving my vehicle at 35mph when all of a sudden my steering wheel started to shake uncontrollably and the power steering was cutting in and out. Being a mother of 3 small children I feared for our lives! my car within the last 24 hrs now has no power steering at all! it was a nightmare for me to drive my vehicle with my 3 small children in the car to get to a mechanic. I decided to do some research on the internet and have found millions of complaints about the same problem!!! why hasn't GM done anything about this problem"??? do they not care about the people driving their vehicles" I will never drive a GM again for this reason. I can't take the responsibility of knowing there is such an awful problem that exists with these vehicles that I can get my family or someone else's loved one very seriously hurt!!! wake up GM!!! notify the americans about this problem!! make it a recall!!! shame on you!!!

- Center Moriches, NY, USA

Jan 232014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 3 mph and making a left turn the power steering suddenly malfunctioned making the steering wheel difficult to turn. The contact turned the vehicle off and then restarted it and the steering defect was corrected. Throughout the day she restarted the vehicle and the power steering failed to function normally. The contact indicated the failure was diagnosed and repaired by the dealer. The contact was informed that the steering column was replaced which corrected the defect. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 167,866.

- Talking Rock, GA, USA

Jan 302014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when turning, the turn indicator switch automatically activated but failed to automatically disengage when the steering wheel returned to the normal position. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 21000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

May 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

Having trouble with the steering, jerking, shaking while driving, last year ice cause the car to slide off road and the steering locked up causing a crash without injury. I have called the main Chevrolet branch and the said they would contact our local dealership to have them order the parts. (their is a recall) that has been months no one has called us. We have checked up on the part and the dealers ship tells us that they will call us when part is in. Its been almost a 6 months. I am basically sick of paying for a unsafe car we cannot drive.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Nov 192013

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving home from work at about 6 pm when my power steering went out and caused my steering wheel to turn by itself. When the steering wheel turned by itself I lost control of the vehicle and almost crashed into a stop sign and a curb in the incoming traffic lane. When I purchased the car I was so excited, it was my first car and I thought it was decent, I was wrong. Since the power steering has gone out I have not drove my car I am scared to, this is a safety issue I was just lucky to have not been on the highway at the time of the incident. The power steering is all electrical, so everything has to be replaced.

- Parma, OH, USA

Dec 232013

Malibu

Was going around a corner after a red light steering locked up and got a message power steering problem with another message cant remember what it said. It looks like im not the only one. I do believe this is a safety issue and Chevrolet should fix it....updated 01-10-14 the consumer stated she found her extended warranty on the power steering. Updated 01/13/14

- Minnetoka, MN, USA