2009 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

Mar 132014

Malibu 4-cyl

I did not have an accident yet. There was a recall for my car. The information I provided above on March 13, 204 I took the car back to the dealer to have it fixed. But the problems are still happening..I took it back and they said it was just some water leaking on the electrical wiring and would need replaced. I did not have the money at the time but did take it to my local mechanic where he also put it on the computer and advised that there is no water leakage. I have another incident the other day where I lost power and almost got in an accident. My taction got disabled as well. I have an appointment at kenny ross in irwin to take it back so they can look at it again, but I don't trust them. The car was bought with low mileage and I go no where as I work from home, still has low mileage..I should not be having problems. The original recall repairs were never done...can you please advise what I should do in this ase.

- Harrison City, PA, USA

Jan 012015

Malibu 4-cyl

There is a power steering problem as is goes off on the freeway while driving, as well as there is a recall on the break lamp turns on and off while driving. Attempted to contact multiple dealerships as they couldn't not find the issue relating to this problem.

- Castro Valley , CA, USA

Jan 242015

Malibu 4-cyl

The same day I brought my car to my local Chevrolet dealership for an oil change and a brake light malfunction recall, I had the first occurrence of the issue. While on the highway, a chime sounded, and the information display on the dash showed power steering and service ESC. The power steering was turned off, and turning the steering wheel became extremely difficult. When I turned the car off and back on, the problem was gone. However, after driving for a few minutes, the same chime sounds, same errors come up, and power steering shuts off. This now happens every time I drive my car. I found out that there was a recall for several GM vehicles, including some 2009 Malibu, for an electric power steering (eps) issue. In the recall, the description they give matches my issue perfectly. However, my specific 2009 Malibu isn't part of the recall for some reason.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 022015

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving at around 45mph and suddenly lost power steering assistance, making it difficult to steer, and increasing the risk of a crash. The problem persists. There have already been multiple recalls for this issue but my car is not included in these recalls.

- Nesbit, MS, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu

Rear door locks just quit working, doesn't work with key fob or inside switch.

- Ira, MI, USA

Jan 102015

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving down the highway with my son going at rates of 70mph. My power steering gave out and I was unable to turn wheel. Trying to find out what was wrong I found out the power steering torque sensor gave out. I contacted GM and my local dealer about incident because there has been reports of this happening on several of this year and model car. Other GM cars have put recall on the power steering, not mine. I contacted dealer because they have me a price of $500-$1200. I contacted GM they refuse to help me at all. This is a safety issue and I feel unsafe driving my own car. I purchased the sensor on my own because the dealer mark up was double of what the part cost. GM refuses to help and I am now renting a car waiting for this to be fixed to sell it. I was with my young child on the highway when it locked up. Please help!

- Whitman, MA, USA

Jan 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Dec 042012

Malibu

The passenger front headlight burned out. I took it to the dealership and had it replaced. Within a week or so, it had burned back out. At that time the dealership determined that the entire headlight assembly needed to be replace. I researched the problem on.chevymalibuforum.com and this is apparently very common.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 072015

Malibu

Started my car in Jan 2015 and power steering service ESC alarm comes on this makes second occurrence when I looked up my car it says there was a recall for this problem when I looked up the VIN number it says it was repaired so why is it still happening there R several recalls for my 2009 Chevy Malibu so I want to know if I've owned it since 2010 why I've only received one recall notice for my vehicle.

- Vanceburg, KY, USA

Dec 232014

Malibu 4-cyl

Power door locks do not work. Will not open or close using the interior switch nor the key fob. Malfunction of locks occurred after a repair of the recalled faulty body control module (BCM) connection; which results in fluctuations in the brake apply sensor ( bas). It mentions other possible electrical problems may occur. Cruise control, traction control, ecs may be affected also. It does not mention that it may cause electric lock issue.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 142014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while parked, the front driver side door failed to unlock. As a result, the contact had to exit the vehicle through the rear side doors. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Canton, OH, USA

Nov 122014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while attempting to exit the vehicle, the electronic door unlock function failed on all four doors. In addition, the contact stated that the door locks were unable to unlock manually. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power lock switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Ft Smith, AR, USA

Dec 022014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Scottsville, NY, USA

Sep 242014

Malibu

First issue noticed was passenger airbag not on while passengers are in front and rear of vehicle. The passenger airbag sensor works 50% of the time. Second issue started close to the same time as the airbag. When using the keyless entry or the electric lock buttons inside the car, it fails to lock or unlock the passenger side doors. After 30 minutes or so it will then lock the doors. The latest issue started on the 19th of November 2014 with the driver side lowbeam not working as like it's blown. The car has been sitting for two days since and now the lowbeam is working but, it's dim compared to the passenger lowbeam. I believe there's a short in the electrical system from manufacturer. There are many forums online about these issues online from other owners. This car has not had any aftermarket installations of its electrical components and the battery is new. Chevrolet needs to take the time when manufacturing their vehicles instead of cutting corners. Their customers safety should be valued better than worrying about sales. You would think after going under they would take the time to do things right the first time. I highly doubt I will ever purchase a vehicle manufactured after 2002 from Chevrolet due to all of the electrical components that fail or cause serious injury or death. Please fix these issues or lose a 15 year customer.

- Homeland, GA, USA

Nov 122014

Malibu 4-cyl

Twice in past 5 days while traveling at slow speed, the power steering went out completely - very dangerous. Turned off ignition and restarted engine and it was fine again.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 032014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. In addition, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 112014

Malibu 4-cyl

The rear passenger door lock does not open or close with the fob. The rear passenger door lock has to be opened or closed manually.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Nov 112014

Malibu

As I was driving down the street my steering wheel locked up and I was unable to move it to safely pull over to the side of the street. I just had to stop in the middle of the street and turn my car off and then back on. It then reset it and I was able to drive again. The "service ESC" light came on and then "power steering" light came on. This is not the first time this has happened. It has happened before right in the middle of an intersection. Where again I had to turn my car off and stop traffic and then turn it back on. I believe this could pose a serious safety issue. When your vehicle to stops because you cannot steer another vehicle can easily hit you and cause a severe accident. There should be a recall on this since it seems to affect a number of 2009 Malibu's that I see all over forums and blogs.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 092014

Malibu

The rear door lock actuators( both doors ) stopped functioning within several months of each other. This made it such that the rear doors could not be opened without manually lifting the lock button from inside the vehicle. When a child was in a car seat the only way to open the rear door was to get back in the car, put the key in the ignition, turn it to the accessory, lower the rear window, get out of the car and reach in to pull up the lock button. Fortunately we never had an emergency situation where this could have been a critical life threatening problem. We have had the actuators replaced ( at significant expense ). my concern is many individuals, probably can not afford the cost and would forgo the repair, thus leaving the problem and its possible consequences there.

- Kingsville, MD, USA

Sep 222014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving my 2009 Chevy Malibu, I abruptly got a warning message on my dash board which contained the phrase engine power reduction at which time my car completely shut off in the middle of a busy highway. The car had no response even though all the battery operated items were working the car still would not turn over. After further research it has come to my attention that a large group of individuals have had this happen and this error message come up.

- Moncks Corner , SC, USA