2009 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 6 of 10)

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact stated the headlights failed to illuminate while driving. The contact had to use the high beams to drive at night. The failure occurred for one month. Also, the vehicle failed to accelerate after a stop was made. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated, vibrated violently, and stalled. The deceleration failure began one week ago and the acceleration hesitation began two months ago. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 93,000.

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 052014

Malibu 6-cyl

While making a left turn at less than 20mph, vehicle lost traction, causing car to skid and leave roadway, and subsequently hit a cement culvert. Earlier the same week, the rear brake lights were intermittently illuminating when the brakes were not being applied. Vehicle required towing and repairs. Passenger in vehicle suffered lower back injury. Two weeks after accident, owner received recall 13036 notification.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Jul 312014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact heard a clunking sound from the rear to the front of the vehicle. The power steering warning indicator illuminated. In addition, the contact discovered that the speedometer was not registering the speed of the vehicle. The dealer was unable to diagnose or repair the failure. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Duquesne, PA, USA

Sep 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

I have had so much trouble with the 2009 Chevy Malibu I bought it brand new no miles thinking I was going to be stress free but it has given me the most headaches ever. I have had to replace the shift gear and that my head lights have had to been replace at least once a year since I got it the headache about that is that the whole bumper has to be removed to have them replace. I also had to replace the catalytic converter. I don't think I will ever purchase another Chevy car.

- Grand Prairie , TX, USA

Mar 022009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph, the emergency steering control warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. Also, the vehicle failed to start properly on multiple occasions. In order for the vehicle to start properly, the battery had to be disconnected until the vehicle reset. In addition, the doors failed to lock. The dealer stated that there were multiple electrical malfunctions that needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired, but the failures recurred multiple times. The contact was uncertain what components were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The approximate failure mileage was 81,000.

- Ojai, CA, USA

Aug 302013

Malibu 4-cyl

Both keyless remotes had to be replaced due to malfunctions when trying to lock or unlock vehicle. Both transmitters had to be replaced according to dealer? vehicle only had 42,245 miles and purchased new.

- Parma, OH, USA

Malibu

While driving my door locks started locking and unlocking. Now they won't open or close in the rear with the key fob. I have to do it manually.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Nov 302012

Malibu

Back driver side turning light bulb keeps burning out. Before it goes out it will work sometimes. So I don't think it is the bulb, but some other issue. At this time my car is 6 years old with 32,000 miles and this will be the 4th time of changing this bulb.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Jun 112014

Malibu

The locks worked fine up until a few weeks ago now none of the power lock buttons work, my doors lock and unlock randomly even while driving... this has become a huge pain... I have reached out to several Chevrolet dealers and was told that this is normal wearing on my car. Everyone I have spoken to who drives the same vehicle have all had the same issue and I feel like GM should cover the cost of the repairs!! also they should find out why this is happening in their vehicle.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 312011

Malibu

The rear right door won't unlock unless done manually.this is a safety issue in case of an emegancy. The left door cannot be locked from the button I have to reach over drivers side to lock the rest of the doors. The remote will not lock doors or remote start because the power switch will not lock on drivers side.

- Seekonk, MA, USA

Jun 162014

Malibu 4-cyl

All four (4) doors on my 2009 Malibu will not always lock or unlock from the remote. Also they will not always lock or unlock when vehicle is put in gear or out of gear. I have had them to not unlock all the way and could not get the doors open at all. You have to keep using the remote or key to keep locking or unlocking until they decide to open. Also, I have had them to not unlock and could not get out of the car, this is the worst situation to be in. Talk about an extreme safety hazzard. What will happen if there is an accident and this happens, G.M. needs to do something about this.

- Clearville, PA, USA

Malibu 4-cyl

Recently, I had my 8 year old grandson strapped in the back seat, right side, with his seat belt on, in my car. When I stopped and parked the car and turned the car off, all the doors automatically unlocked normally except the one in the back where my grandson was sitting. He tried opening the door from the inside and it would not open. I tried opening it from the outside, and it would not open. I tried the button on the drivers side door, and the door still would not open. I tried using the remote control, and it still would not open. The only way I could get the door open was by crawling across the back seat and opening the lock by hand by pulling up on the manual door lock. There is a child safety lock on the door panel but it was in the off position. This vehicle has a digital read out on the dashboard telling you the tire pressure, amount of mileage left on the oil change, miles per gallon, and various other information, but nothing indicating that one of the doors will not open. It is my opinion that this is a very dangerous safety issue in the event of an accident or fire. In a serious situation of life or death, it may be impossible to get the back door open if the door will not open automatically, using the button on the drivers door, or with the remote control. There is no way to know the door will not open since there is no warning on the digital panel. I have no idea how long the lock had not been operating properly since there is seldom anyone in the back seat needing to exit via that door. I feel this is a serious defect in this automobile and the ntsb needs to investigate and determine whether the automatic door locks on this car are unsafe and unable to open, except manually, in an emergency, and require some sort of warning when the automatic door locks are not working properly.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Aug 132014

Malibu

This has been happening for about 6 months now where when the car is put into park and I try to exit the car either the door will unlock but will not let me out or when I am able to exit the car, the door hinge will not engage and the door will not close or lock.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Oct 252013

Malibu

The drive linkage bushing keeps separating from the ball joint causing the windshield wipers not to work at all. This has happened multiple times, even after purchasing and installing brand new windshield wiper bushings.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Aug 082011

Malibu 4-cyl

I have had problems with the battery, wiring problems and lock problems. I am hoping that the wiring repair took care of that problem and the battery problem, but the lock problem persists, and it is a safety issue! I had no luck getting the dealer to fix the lock problem. It needs to be a required recall to fix. Recently I heard of another recall for my car, called the dealer, they said no there wasn't any, but then I got a letter in the mail saying there is a recall. What is a consumer supposed to do"??"

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Feb 032010

Malibu 6-cyl

Intermittently the front driver door only partially unlocks when placed in park resulting in the door not being able to open from interior and only partially pulled open from outside. Once door is open it will not close/latch. Front and rear locks on passenger side do not respond to key fob and must be manually locked/unlocked. Passenger front and rear doors lock when placed in vehicle is placed in gear but do not unlock when placed in park.

- Elkton, MD, USA

Jul 282014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The dealer could not provide an estimated date for arrival. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sinton, TX, USA

Apr 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

I received a recall notice number13036. To my understanding the recall has not been sent out to the current dealers to deal with the recall. My car brakes lights illuminated and the traction control light comes on while I'm driving putting my life in danger. Took the car to the dealer several times, but since the lights were not showing any defect they said there was nothing they could do. I have contacted the dealer several times, but since the recall is still in the notification process they tell me there is nothing they can do since the parts are not available. If and when I take my vehicle in if the lights are not coming on while the car is running or in park they told me there is nothing they can do. What am I left to do at this point I'm very concerned that before this is all over someone is going to lose their life.

- Clinton , MD, USA

Aug 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

The front and rear passenger door locks have intermittently locked and unlocked until August 3, 2014 when both door locks would not lock or unlock using the key fob or the lock/unlock switch on either door. The front and rear driver's side doors have not exhibited this problem.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle headlight problems. The consumer stated over the last two years, the low beam headlights would go out. The passenger side light was replaced three times, and the driver side was replaced twice. Each time, the replacement cost was $100.

- Howell, NJ, USA