2.4

2009 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Feb 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While the cruise control was activated, it randomly deactivated. Also, when the brake pedal was depressed, the center brake light would not illuminate and the rear brake lights illuminated very dimly. The contact also indicated that the transmission was replaced due to failures that prevented the vehicle from accelerating normally. No further information was available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 132016

Malibu

The brake lights would turn on while driving and the RPM tach would rev uncontrollably. When the brake is applied, the light turns off and the ESC warning appears on the dash. Fixed in 2014 as part of the exterior lighting recall (14V252000). As of the last two months, the problem started up again. First, I went and diagnosed it at a repair shop and it told me the brake position sensor needed to be calibrated. After that was fixed, the problems occurred again and replaced the sensor. After the second time, the problem was still not fixed. After going to another dealership and getting the concern fixed, it is still not fixed.

- Whitney Point, NY, USA

May 192016

Malibu

Recall fix failure - the recall fix was applied by the dealership for the 'brake lights may or may not randomly illuminate' issue, NHTSA action 13005, however it is only temporary. After a few months the identical symptoms occur at the same frequency. No new symptoms are present and no previous symptoms are absent. These include; brake lights illuminating with no pressure on the brake pedal, brake lights turning off when pressure is applied to brake pedal (including holding the brakes at a stop), cruise control failing to activate, traction control turning off, ESC turning off, and vehicle gearing down (as low as 3rd gear at 60 mph before intervention) to assist by engine braking. Most symptoms occur at standstill as well as city and highway speeds. The dealership's stance is that, once a recall is applied, the ticket is closed and is the vehicle owner's responsibility to cover the cost of further fixes.

- Bristol, VA, USA

Apr 072016

Malibu

In December of 2014, a Chevrolet dealer performed repairs to address NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (I had not experienced any problems related to this issue at the time). Recently I have been experiencing the symptoms related to this recall, including the "service ESC" and "service traction" messages, the brake pedal requiring extra pressure to get the vehicle out of park, and the disabling of cruise control. I have not had the opportunity to check if the brake lights also exhibit the problem described in the recall. The problem has triggered while I'm braking, as well as when I was at highway speed with the cruise control engaged, without applying the brakes.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Oct 242015

Malibu

Driving at 65 mph on the interstate and ESC light, check engine light, and security light came on. The speedometer needle and the fuel guage needle started jumping sporadically and then I lost power for a moment and could not accelerate. Had to coast to the side of the road. Very dangerous situation. Turned the car off and restarted, and it happened numerous more times. Had to end up having it towed. It is in the shop now, and they haven't determined what is wrong yet.

- Radcliff, KY, USA

Jun 272014

Malibu 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to body control module connection system recall reimbursement. The consumer stated in June 2014, the vehicle wasn't running smoothly. It seemed to exhibit a jerk motion and felt as though it was going to stall. The ESC light would illuminate and then go out. The dealer made some repairs on June on June 27, 2014. After the repairs were made, the consumer received a recall letter. However, the parts were not available. GM informed the consumer, the repairs were not covered by the recall. According to the invoice, the fuel injector wire was replaced. Recall # 14V252000 updated 12/30/15.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Feb 042014

Malibu

While driving the car at any speed the vehicle will accelerate on its own and the RPM will increase to 4 or higher as if I am smashing the gas. During this time of the RPM fluctuation you can hear the engine sound louder and feel the acceleration almost like a jolt. At night when driving the car you can see the brake light illuminate without ever touching the brakes. I've taken the car to the dealership several times regarding this matter they claim it has been fixed, however I'm still having the same problem. When it is warm/hot outside, when using the keyless remote to lock/unlock the car all locks will stick. The only way I can get into the vehicle is to use the key to open the doors and if I have groceries in the back seat I will have to crawl from the front to the back to open the doors.

- Brewton, AL, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the anti lock brake system and the electronic stability control warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the BCM wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact stated that after the repairs, it was discovered that the brake lights failed to illuminate when the brake pedal was depressed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu

Service ESC light comes on &power steering goes out. Happens over and over randomly. Dealership told me it was a battery issue since the power steering is electrical, however I replaced the battery and the issue persists. After searching the internet I saw a ton of other Chevy Malibu owners have the exact same issue.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Feb 262015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while making a left turn at 4 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The contact stated that ESC off was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000( electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The failure mileage was 152,000.

- Columbia, IL, USA

Feb 232015

Malibu

Sudden loss of power steering, nearly caused a wreck in parking lot. Impossible to steer car due to resistance in wheel.

- Brookings, OR, USA

Feb 032015

Malibu

On Tuesday February 3rd 2015 I was on my way home from work when my 2009 Chevy Malibu cut off on me. The check engine and traction lights came on and a message of power steering service ESC came on. Cars had to swerve around me to avoid collision luckily I had not yet made it onto the interstate. I turned the engine off, waited for five minutes and restarted the vehicle. Upon restart all of the lights and messages were gone and the car was operable. I researched this issue and found that is a known issue and even on recall. I called GM and I was informed by a rep that while this is a known issue and is a recall for my model my VIN number does not meet the recall. I do not understand how a known issue that I am currently experiencing is not covered by GM. This is a extreme hazard to myself, other drivers and my newborn child that I travel with. I am very angry, disappointed and I feel betrayed by GM and Chevrolet. I will be contacting my lawyer, sending letters to GM and blogging to warn people of the dangers and hassles of purchasing and driving a Chevy.

- Marrero, LA, USA

Mar 132014

Malibu 4-cyl

I did not have an accident yet. There was a recall for my car. The information I provided above on March 13, 204 I took the car back to the dealer to have it fixed. But the problems are still happening..I took it back and they said it was just some water leaking on the electrical wiring and would need replaced. I did not have the money at the time but did take it to my local mechanic where he also put it on the computer and advised that there is no water leakage. I have another incident the other day where I lost power and almost got in an accident. My taction got disabled as well. I have an appointment at kenny ross in irwin to take it back so they can look at it again, but I don't trust them. The car was bought with low mileage and I go no where as I work from home, still has low mileage..I should not be having problems. The original recall repairs were never done...can you please advise what I should do in this ase.

- Harrison City, PA, USA

Jan 282015

Malibu

I was picking my little brother up from school I was at the light and the car started to shake violently and engine reduced power light came on is does this on and off and this is not safe for any driver.

- Bowie , MD, USA

Mar 142012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and all of the lights on the instrumental panel illuminated. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician diagnosed that the accelerator pedal needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal had been replaced twice before but the most recent failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Burton, MI, USA

Aug 262014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle failed to shift into gear and excessive force was required to depress the accelerator pedal. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,800. Updated 1/7/15 the consumer stated while driving, the vehicle would stick in gear decelerate without apply the brake. Updated 03/03/15

- Salem, NH, USA

Aug 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact stated the headlights failed to illuminate while driving. The contact had to use the high beams to drive at night. The failure occurred for one month. Also, the vehicle failed to accelerate after a stop was made. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated, vibrated violently, and stalled. The deceleration failure began one week ago and the acceleration hesitation began two months ago. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 93,000.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jul 282014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The dealer could not provide an estimated date for arrival. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sinton, TX, USA

Jul 232014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted after the first attempt, but the failure recurred multiple times. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (vehicle speed control) however, the dealer stated that the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 26,000.

- De Queen , AR, USA

Apr 152014

Malibu 4-cyl

Beginning on April 15, 2014 my car flashes ESC off, service ESC, service traction. This happens often and it turns off the traction control in my car and causes the cruise control to cease function.

- Aurora, CO, USA