2010 Chevrolet Malibu drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jan 172014

Malibu 4-cyl

In January of 2014, my father noticed there was a huge dark spot on my side of the drive way. So later in the day I take my car to valvoline and they let me know that my care is leaking oil. I take the car to sallas auto shop and they tell me that my cars axel shaft has a lot of play, which is causing the axel seal to leak, which shouldnt be the case because it was repaired before I purchased the car. They deem my car unsafe to drive and they have me leave my car at the shop so they can fix it. Not even a week later its leaking again so I take it back to them and they cant really figure out why its still leaking so they do a full body inspection and find that, not only has it been leaking but its been shooting shrap metal into my transmission(causing me to later have to actually replace the whole transmission). So I take my car back to the guy I bought it from and he tries to fix it and claims he stopped the leak. Not trusting his skills I finally take it to Chevy and after having it "fixed" several prior times, Chevy actually fixes it this time around. Apparenetly there is a special tool that has to be used to repair this particular part that not a lot of mechanics have, but Chevy does. Ive done my research online and this has happened to a few other people, which seems to be a manufacturing issue. Because of the leak my car was deemed undrivable for prevention of an accident, I was out of a car for about a week and a half as well as the costs of getting this problem repaired.

- Lee's Summit , MO, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

I drive a Chevy Malibu 2010. Around 3 pm I had barely drop of my wife at her work site. When I was doing a U turn to head back home I had the reverse gear to back up but has soon has I put the drive gear my car wouldn't move. I tried the rest of the gears but none work. I was stuck in the middle of the street blocking traffic. My car is like stuck in the parking gear mode and even though I try the other driving gears none of them work. I called the Agency and they told me to call a tow truck to bring it in. I told the agent to do all the recall that were out for my vehicle. The agent said he would call me when this was done. It's been 2 days and I haven't heard anything from my car till this point. I was looking up the recalls and found one with this exact problem but it's only for Chevy Malibu 2013.this recall number is 14048. I wanted to know if there is going to be a recall for the 2010 models. The miles on my vehicle are approximately about 43,300.

- El Paso , TX, USA

Dec 202012

Malibu

The automatic transmission would shift into neutral while at red lights and/or driving without warning. I reported it to my dealer and because the technicians could not replicate or get an error message I was dismissed. Upon dismissal at the dealership the transmission disengaged again. I notified onstar and refused to move the car without a tow. Only then did my dealer begrudgingly replace my transmission, however, they did not bolt it down. Another dealer finished the repair. I have since traded the vehicle, however, considering what is going on with General Motors, this is another model that should be investigated.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Apr 302011

Malibu 4-cyl

Multiple error messages appearing in dashboard electrical burning smell with dash computer giving out random error messages stating service airbag and service engine soon burned out my battery. Gear shift makes loud booming noise when putting in gear while driving car jolts and hesitates to shift gears. Chevrolet dealership refuses to check the car diagnostic without charging per module.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 182012

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving my 2010 Chevy Malibu lt (ecotech engine), the engine starts to stutter and the ESC shuts off and claims it needs servicing. The ESC will go on and off randomly. The check engine light comes on as well. I have had the codes read multiple times and changed multiple parts but to no avail. It keeps stating that there is a misfire in cylinder 1. have changed spark plugs and coil packs. The stuttering happens at all speeds, including while accelerating and idling. There's also been times of tough steering as if the power steering is not working properly. I have noticed it happens more often in late spring through summer when the temperatures outside are higher. I have checked and there is not a crack in the head gasket or the head.

- Woodhaven, MI, USA

Jun 112014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed and the engine reduced power light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 39,906.

- Pittsburg, KY, USA

Sep 042010

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel was extremely rough to turn. Additionally, the air bag warning light would illuminate intermittently and the battery continued to drain prematurely. The contact also stated that the rear suspension was unstable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times but the dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact was traveling on the highway when the rear suspension failure recurred and the vehicle swayed violently toward the driver's side of the vehicle. The steering wheel seized and as the contact applied force to the steering wheel, the steering wheel seized and the contact crashed into a tree. The air bags only partially deployed. The driver sustained severe injuries and the jaws of life were used to remove an injured passenger from the vehicle. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V460000 (power train). The contact received the recall notification after the crash occurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failures several times but to no avail. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000. Updated 3/3/15

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jun 152012

Malibu 4-cyl

Trans appears to be slipping...when accelerating car does not move..car bucks when gears shift.

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

So about 2 months ago the service traction light came on briefly and didn't come back on for a while. Then about 2 weeks ago it started going off almost everytime I drove. I brought it to the dealership that I bought it in kannapolis, nc called classic Chevrolet on 5/3/14. They said I could pay $98 to get it hooked up to the computer reader, but the light was off so I decided I didn't really have $98 to waste. As it had been hooked up to a code reader when the light was off before and didn't read anything. There is an option to turn off the traction control so I was driving with it off. We went to Michigan on 5/8/14 it was driving fine. Light never came on. When we were in Michigan it started going on again, again driving with the traction control off. It was hooked up to a computer and no codes came up and light goes off when you turn it off and never came back on our whole way home. Nothing felt or sounded different with the driving. Driving fine to drop off our son at practice this morning 5/17/14, turned on car to go pick him up and couldn't reverse, but would go forward. I had my husband and his brother push us out of the driveway and it was driving fine for the first 3 blocks, then started to chug and wouldn't shift correctly leaving a stop light. I turned around on a circle drive. We live on a culdesac so I pulled ahead of our house, so we could push it back in the drive way. When my husband came back out it was like locked, we couldn't push it in reverse. Then it wouldn't go forward. My husband unhooked the battery and was able to reverse with struggle and pull into the driveway with struggle. During all of this, the brakes have been illuminating when not being pushed and sometime they don't even work.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Dec 292010

Malibu 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to transmission malfunction. The consumer stated a recall was issued regarding the transmission. However, she never received a letter. Also, the air bag illuminated and the dealer attempted to fix the problem twice, with no resolution. The consumer also stated the seat would move while driving. She stated there was rust on the seat track. The dealer claimed the seat was working properly.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Apr 182014

Malibu 4-cyl

While stopped engine light came on. Proceeding to 20 to 30 mph, forward motion disengaged and RPM went above 3K with any motion. Power train grinded and staggered to motion. Stopped and called for tow.

- Morganville, NJ, USA

Jul 122011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle hesitated while the contact was attempting to pass another vehicle. Also, the contact mentioned that the vehicle failed to shift properly while being driven uphill. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the transmission software needed to be updated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 9,375 and the current mileage was unknown.

- Middle Island, NY, USA

Dec 182013

Malibu

The tps sensor was shot. The warranty didn't cover it. I got stranded on the highway at night because my car was bucking and I got scared because the power of the engine kept fluctuating. I later read about many other Malibu owners that have had the same problem. This is a safety issue and should be looked at seriously by GM!

- Pembroke, MA, USA

Feb 032014

Malibu

The vehicle is a 2010 Chevy Malibu with less then 61,000 miles on it. I purchased the vehicle last year and the transmission has went out on it 3 times within a month. All three times I have taken it to an certified Chevrolet dealership. After the second time they fixed my transmission the steering shaft was loose and I could have been killed or killed someone. After about 4 days after repairs the transmission will go out again. The car is not even 5 years old with 61,000 miles on it. This is truly disappointing, and it has cost me money and time.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Feb 142014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, there was a reduction in engine power as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where unknown repairs were performed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 1V460000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000 and the current mileage was 143,700.

- Cascade, VA, USA

Sep 132012

Malibu 4-cyl

The rack and pinion on drivers side end rattles at slow speed. I have tried 3 different brand front brakes and all have squeaked, the transmission cooler line started leaking.the car has 69,000 on it as of now 1/26/2013. Dealer want fix any of the problem under the drive train warranty. Also has cold start engine knock.

- Sparta, TN, USA

Nov 202012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that he received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 12V460000 (power train:automatic transmission:gear position indication (prndl)). The contact attempted to have the vehicle repaired but the dealer advised that they did not have the necessary parts readily available. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 162012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that she received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 12V460000 (power train:automatic transmission:gear position indication (prndl)). The contact attempted to have the vehicle repaired but she was advised by the dealer that the parts needed to complete the recall repair would not become available until January 2013. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Parkton, MD, USA

Aug 152011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving 10 mph when the vehicle failed to accelerate properly in other gears when shifting. The vehicle also lunged forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was contacted but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 47,800 and the current mileage was 54,000.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Apr 012010

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 38 mph he took his foot off of the accelerator pedal and the vehicle stalled after depressing the gas pedal after the vehicle speed increased. He stated that he had experienced the failure numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times, the dealer reprogrammed the computer system, but the failure continued to occur. Report 71-872396053 was filed with the manufacturer who stated that they were aware of the failure which was associated with the transmission. The failure mileage was 300 and the failure mileage was 17,000. Updated 01/13/11 the consumer stated the issue was resolved. Updated 03/23/11

- Franklin Square, NY, USA