2010 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

Mar 242014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel locked without warning while driving at various speeds. The contact had to turn the steering wheel left and right while restarting it to regain the steering wheel function. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering). The failure and current mileage were 97,000.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Apr 242013

On March 24,2014 as I was turning the corner making a left turn and my power steering went out, luckily the car that was ahead of me was able to move. I went up on a curb because the steering wheel locked as I was turning. I took the car in to gorden Chevrolet in garden city on the following day March 25,2014 they verified my concern, they inspected and found internal fault in the electric power steering motor and module. Necessary to replace steering column and control module $1259...this car needs to be a part of the recall list also, I am so upset that my car was not included because now after I paid my car note last week I have to figure out a way to get my car fixed. Really GM"?"

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

May 012012

Malibu 4-cyl

I started the vehicle and began to backup. The vehicle suddenly lost power steering. I put the vehicle into "park" and then immediately turned the vehicle off and then on again and the power steering function returned and functioned normally. This has happened on (3) occasions. I took the vehicle to my local Chevrolet dealer, but they said that they could not replicate the problem. I submitted a complaint online on (3) occasions to GM, but they never responded. I'm surprised that this vehicle is not included in the recent recall concerning loss of power steering. Ps... sorry, but I don't answer phone calls that are not familiar.

- Clay, NY, USA

Mar 052014

Malibu 4-cyl

Driving in very busy city traffic and I almost wrecked because the power steering went out. I drove it home but it was very hard to make a turn. This was very scary and I pulled it up on computer and I see people have been complaining they had the same problem with this car and year. It cost me $ $823.63 to get the steering column fixed and recalibrated.

- Woodstock, VA, USA

Mar 282013

For no reason power steering went stiff.

- New York, NY, USA

Feb 132014

Malibu 4-cyl

So GM recalls the steering on 2004-06, 08, 09....I have an 2010 that has the same issue that is happening with the steering. I fortunately knew what to do when I lost my power steering doing 70+ mph on I-39. I ended up paying over $500 to have my steering fixed and that is just for one of the sensors...what about a recall on all the cars that have this system"???"

- Machesney Park, IL, USA

Mar 192014

Malibu 4-cyl

My wife was driving and the power steering just stoped functoning and became very hard to steer she was able to pull into a store and after a time restarted the car and it was fine. G.M. has a recall that started on 3/31/14 on 2007, 2008, 2009, Chevy Malibu but not on 2010 Malibu I checked with the dealer they said that their have been many other 2010 Malibu with this same problem. We are older 65 and 67 and cannot afford to pay for a repair hope there is not a accident.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 072014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated and caused the steering wheel to enter into manual mode. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The dealer performed a diagnostic which located the failure at the electric steering module and sensor. The dealer advised the contact that the vehicle was not included NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering). The approximate failure and current mileage was 83,696.

- Gardner, IL, USA

Mar 122014

At first I lost power steering when traveling high speeds on the highway. Now the power steering fails with just short trips around town. This is a huge safety concern, especially for my wife. She does not have the strength to turn the wheel at slow speeds. I do not want to pay accident surcharges on top of the repair bill for this issue. This power steering issue is documented all over the web and affects many models that have the electronic power steering box. There is a problem with the electric power steering box related to the electronic stability control (ESC) and the steering wheel position sensor. The steering wheel position sensor cannot be replaced at this time (or maybe never). The entire steering column must be replaced. This is at a very costly expense when a cheaper repair is an option. I researched a car owner who had to replace the steering column three times due to failure of the position sensor and there is no recourse for us consumers. Every 20,000 miles after warranties were expired. I am 50 years old and have only owned american made cars, just about all GM products. If this issue does not get resolved in a professional way I will be going to the Ford product. I hope I will not be forced to the foreign cars for the reason I will not return to GM if they do not stand behind their products. I am optimistic at this point I can remain a happy GM consumer. I research I have found the MINIcooper had the same issue of power steering failure. They stood behind their product and offered a 13 year or 200,000 mile warranty on the power steering module. this would be a very wise choice to offer this solution with the recent of the recall with the ignition shutting off while the car is operational causing fatalities.

- Millbury, MA, USA

Feb 172014

Malibu 4-cyl

The power steering will stop working and across the information center screen will scroll "power steering malfunction, service ESC". while driving you can feel the steering wheel jerking from side to side, and when stopped you can release the wheel and visually see the steering wheel jerk from side to side. I called my local Chevrolet dealer about the issue, and they said that they know exactly what the problem is because of the number of calls they have received on other Malibu's showing the same issue. I was told that they would have to replace the column and it would run approx. $900. I was also told that they had the same issue in the models 4-8 years prior to mine and that they were allowed to fix those per GM. If the issue has happened before in the same model of car why wouldn't that fix be grandfather for future model years if suffering from the same issue? the issue I was told is from a faulty steering wheel angle position and torque sensor.

- Clio, MI, USA

Mar 172014

Malibu 4-cyl

The power steering keeps going has gone out on me as I was turning a corner and I went into someone's yard almost hitting a telephone pole. I have a hard time turning the wheels when it goes out and my wife drives this car everyday. This is very unsafe and could injure someone. Chevrolet should have a recall or give vouchers to get it fixed since I was quoted a price of $700 to get this resolved. Why does it take someone dyeing to get recalls to happen?

- Enon, OH, USA

Mar 012014

Was driving home from work on expressway. Power steering came up on display and steering wheel was almost impossible to turn. Took to dealership and code stated that steering column needed replaced. Huge safety issue cause there was no warning and steering just froze. Very lucky that there was no accident.

- Chicago Heights, IL, USA

Feb 012012

Malibu 4-cyl

My vehicle is experiencing steering problems in which it is hard to steer the wheel of the vehicle while making turns and driving. Also, the airbag light is on on the dashboard. The vehicle warning light also displays traction control.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jan 242014

Driving on the highway when we got a power steering warning light and the power steering went out. We took the vehicle to the Chevy dealer where we bought it bill jacobs Chevrolet in joliet Illinois and they said the warranty was expired and GM refused to take responsibility for it. It had just over 40,000 miles on it. This is a safety issue and both the dealership and GM swept the problem under the table..oh, by the way they did charge us 1,200 dollars to repair it.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Feb 242014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving home (ct) from work (NY) when all of a sudden my power steering wasn't working then the ESC light came on the dash board was reading service ESC / power steering. The has been no problem with the power steering until now which made the ride home scarier then ever with no power steering it was had to turn the vehicle.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Feb 172014

Malibu 4-cyl

I had slowed down to get off an exit and the power steering word came up on the dash.

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

Jan 202014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was backing up from the store and I heard a traction noise doing from the steering wheel, it got worse stiffer and stiffer to steer, I have 2 children in the car with me scare to death to hit something!, my husband took it to the dealership they charged us 520 dollars with a discount they said. So upsetting because it is a 2010 Malibu only 49000 miles, doing some research I know there have been cars recall from GM from the same problem!!! are they waiting for someone to die to do something about it!! so upset!

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Feb 122014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the steering wheel seized as the power steering warning lamp illuminated. The contact shut off and restarted the engine several times before the power steering warning lamp no longer illuminated. The vehicle was not taken for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,500.

- Mount Washington , KY, USA

Feb 052014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving the service ESC light came on and my vehicle lost all power steering. I pulled over, turned car off and back on again, power steering came back to normal and lights went off only to come back on and lost power steering again. Now I can hear a clicking noise coming from the steering column and the steering wheel is jerking. I will be contacting GM about this as I see this is happening to several 2010 Chevy Malibu owners. I have contacted the dealer who I purchased the vehicle from to no avail. Not good!

- Northville, NY, USA

Feb 052014

Our 2010 Malibu started having the power steering light coming on while the vehicle is moving. Afraid we will loose power and not be able to handle the car.

- Montrose, MI, USA