2010 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

Jun 242014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly decelerate and the steering, ABS and traction control sensor lights would illuminate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Avon, IN, USA

Dec 232010

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that in cooler weather, the power steering would become very shaky and no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000 and the current mileage was 70,000. Updated 8/11/14 the consumer stated when the steering was cold, there was a chatter and a constant growling noise. Also, the check engine light illuminated. Updated 08/26/14

- Blandford, MA, USA

Jun 202014

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering assist shakes steering wheel back and forth while operating at low speeds. Wheels turn rapidly left to right. Have also had times in the past where steering light came on in dash at highway speeds and power assist steering does not work. Seems like 2010 model Malibu should also be added to the recent steering recall.

- Watseka , IL, USA

Apr 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

Started the car one morning and heard a chime, then observed power steering warning on the display. Steering needs more effort than usual ever since.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Aug 182012

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving my 2010 Chevy Malibu lt (ecotech engine), the engine starts to stutter and the ESC shuts off and claims it needs servicing. The ESC will go on and off randomly. The check engine light comes on as well. I have had the codes read multiple times and changed multiple parts but to no avail. It keeps stating that there is a misfire in cylinder 1. have changed spark plugs and coil packs. The stuttering happens at all speeds, including while accelerating and idling. There's also been times of tough steering as if the power steering is not working properly. I have noticed it happens more often in late spring through summer when the temperatures outside are higher. I have checked and there is not a crack in the head gasket or the head.

- Woodhaven, MI, USA

Feb 122014

Malibu 4-cyl

When I started the engine on my 2010 Chevrolet Malibu, the information center displayed the message "power steering" and service ESC" and when trying to drive the car, it was extremely difficult to steer. After driving about 200 feet in a parking lot, I realized steering was too difficult and driving the car was unsafe. I turned off the ignition and restarted the engine, and luckily the problem temporarily went away. However, I had this problem reoccur again over 20 times between 2/2014 to 4/2014. For my own safety and fear that the issue could worsen and appear at any time while driving, I proactively took the car into my local Chevrolet dealer, where they diagnosed and fixed the problem. Here is their diagnosis and fix: Cause code: C0545 torque sensor corrective action: Replaced steering column I have also opened a case# with General Motors/Chevrolet customer assistance and repeatedly contacted them about the issue because I feel it is the same symptoms and resolution as outlined in the recent 31mar2014 (electric) power steering recall found at the following link: [ ]. Chevrolet customer assistance, however, indicated that my VIN number/vehicle is not covered under the recall and will not reimburse me for the repair. I am contacting the NHTSA to inform them that vehicles not listed under the above recall, namely the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu, potentially have the same problem/safety issue and require the same repair. I hope that the NHTSA encourages General Motors to reassess the vehicles covered under the current recall and extend the recall to also include the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu model year.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

May 292014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the steering wheel became hard to maneuver as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 042010

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel was extremely rough to turn. Additionally, the air bag warning light would illuminate intermittently and the battery continued to drain prematurely. The contact also stated that the rear suspension was unstable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times but the dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact was traveling on the highway when the rear suspension failure recurred and the vehicle swayed violently toward the driver's side of the vehicle. The steering wheel seized and as the contact applied force to the steering wheel, the steering wheel seized and the contact crashed into a tree. The air bags only partially deployed. The driver sustained severe injuries and the jaws of life were used to remove an injured passenger from the vehicle. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V460000 (power train). The contact received the recall notification after the crash occurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failures several times but to no avail. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000. Updated 3/3/15

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Nov 152013

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the power steering failed as the steering wheel became hard to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 113,500 and the current mileage 115,982. Updated 06/10/14

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA

Mar 042014

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering problems. Power steering issues have happened 3 times in the last 4 months. Loss of power steering.

- Middlesboro, KY, USA

Apr 012014

TL * the contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the steering wheel seized and the brakes engaged. The contact mentioned that the ESC and the ABS warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 101,000.

- New Smyrna, FL, USA

May 092011

I would be driving and the car steering wheel will lock up and the car would cut off sometimes. Setting at the traffic light the with foot on the breaks the car feels like its going to take off even when its in park driving on the interstate it would slow down by it self and then speed up. Took it to the dealer 3 times they said they could not find any thing wrong ones said I just needed a battery tried to sale me one for $268 I end up buying one from a auto store. After that went back paid them $542 for services and the car still doing the same thing. Look like they have a recall on the 2010 Malibu with the recall number 93696 on the power train automatic transmission gear the position indication but they said that's not my vehicle said they have had no recalls on the 2010 Chevy Malibu lt. Engine light comes on ESC light comes on some other 3 letter alphabet light comes on. Wheel traction light comes on all the time if it reads the front driver tire is low when you check it it's the rear passenger tire that's it reading all indicators are wrong. I'm still making payments on a car that I am afraid to drive if I trade the car in then I would be upside down paying for that car still. They are the ones who put the car together so they should figure it out. I know they are aware that somethings is wrong they just don't know what to do. But keep telling me to bring it back mean while they just keep making money off of me, and the car still not running right this need to be address before someone else get seriously hurt or killed, driving these defected Chevy vehicles. They need to recall the whole car or replace them. Look like Chevy made a lemon that they can't fix are want fix.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Dec 012013

In December of last year and January of this year I had sporadic problems with the power steering unit in my vehicle. My vehicle is a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. In particular, I had difficulty starting the vehicle and maneuvering the vehicle whether it was in park or drive. Once I started the vehicle I would get a flash message on the dashboard telling me to check the power steering and I was unable to drive and/or turn the wheel on the vehicle. This happened on a number of occasions. I had the problem fixed. The work that was performed on my vehicle, included replacing the entire steering column due to a bad torque sensor. I paid for the repair and am seeking a reimbursement given the fact that other customers are being compensated for similar problems. I understand the 2009 vehicle is recognized as being affected, but not the 2010.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Mar 312014

I own a 2010 Chevy Malibu. My previous complaint number in the NHTSA data base is 10575915. This is an update to the well know intermittent electric power steering (eps) loss for recall bulletin: 14116. However this bulletin only covers up to 2009 Chevy Malibu. I own a 2010 Chevy Malibu with the defective electric power steering issue. After a phone call and waiting several days for a return call from GM help desk I called back and was informed to bring my car to a local Chevy dealer to confirm that I have this same electronic power steering issue. It was verified that I do have the same issue that thousands of cars are being recalled about. It was highly recommended that I do not take the car off the lot without getting it repaired for the reason of a safety issue losing power steering. I did object to this repair but was assured by GM support that a bulletin covering my 2010 Chevy Malibu would be coming out at the end of the month and I would receive a reimbursement form. Hesitant, I did do the repair of $996. After a week of calling GM support with escalating my situation and many unreturned phone calls I was persistent in calling back. Unfortunately even though this is the confirmed issue as the recall bulletin 14116 for the defective power steering that is covered only until 2009. My 2010 is not covered and there is no recall bulletin anyone is aware of that will cover this issue for the reason my VIN number is not covered. I was told it could take years, if it ever will happen at all. This is highly discouraging that it was officially verified that I have the same eps issue that thousands of cars are receiving repairs and my car is not covered because of the year and VIN number. Even more discouraging is that GM will not stand behind their product in this issue. Why did we ever bail this company out with taxpayer money" too big to fail" too big to care!

- Millbury, MA, USA

Feb 062014

Malibu 4-cyl

Was driving a curvy road when a digital warning on the column sounded and the power steering went out, and it was difficult to negotiate the curve. I checked went a got the steering fixed at a dealer ship and then found out that there had been a recall issued for the 2008-2009 Malibu, the 2009 and 2010 HHR and the 2010 cobalts but not the 2010 Malibu.

- Shelbyville, IN, USA

Apr 182014

Malibu 4-cyl

I started my car to back up and the service ESC indicator came on and then the service power steering came on. I had no power steering. I tried backing up but could barely move the car. I ended up shutting the care off and restarted it and the power steering came back. This went on for a day or so. Once while driving the lights came on and I had no power steering. This could have cause an accident while driving. Luckily I was on a straight part of the high way, with children inside. I cannot understand if there are recall on all models prior to my 2010 and this is an ongoing problem why doesn't GM extend the warranty or pay for this. It is costing me $700 to be fixed. The entire steering column is being replaced. My car has been in the shop for over 14 days. This is so wrong and I will never ever boy another GM car!

- Powhatan Point, OH, USA

Apr 302013

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering warning plus the check electrical system came on when we started the car, and the steering would not work. We were at the time in the North Carolina mountains. We turned the ignition off, tried again, and the power steering returned. Nonetheless this made for a scary trip down mountain roads. This failure did not occur again for several months. Then in the winter of 2013-2014 it began to happen more frequently. In April 2014 we told the Chevrolet service advisor who said to bring in the car while the steering was not on power. So we did with difficult steering in city traffic. The advisor diagnosed steering column failure. GM has offered to pay part of the price of repair. This offer came after extensive conversations with GM and the local dealer with whom we have done a significant amount of business.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Mar 122014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving on the expressway 70mph and my power steering alert came on and my power steering went out. I exited the expressway and stopped at a gas station turned off the car and when I turned the car back on the power steering worked again. However, the incident occurred 3 times the next day on my way home from work (however not on my way to work that morning). Each time I had to pull over and turn the car off and on again. Took the car to the dealership and had to pay over $600 to have my steering column replaced. Now there is a recall for several of the previous models of the Malibu, but not my 2010, although I did experience this same problem. I purchased my 2010 Malibu in November of 2009. If more information is needed please feel free to contact me.

- Clio, MI, USA

Mar 242014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel locked without warning while driving at various speeds. The contact had to turn the steering wheel left and right while restarting it to regain the steering wheel function. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering). The failure and current mileage were 97,000.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Apr 242013

On March 24,2014 as I was turning the corner making a left turn and my power steering went out, luckily the car that was ahead of me was able to move. I went up on a curb because the steering wheel locked as I was turning. I took the car in to gorden Chevrolet in garden city on the following day March 25,2014 they verified my concern, they inspected and found internal fault in the electric power steering motor and module. Necessary to replace steering column and control module $1259...this car needs to be a part of the recall list also, I am so upset that my car was not included because now after I paid my car note last week I have to figure out a way to get my car fixed. Really GM"?"

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA