2010 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Jan 172015

Malibu 4-cyl

On 17 January 2015 I was driving home down a somewhat winding road and all of a sudden the power steering on my vehicle failed coming into a turn almost causing me to go into a ditch. The failure was sudden and I had to apply my brakes to avoid driving off the road. I have read around on forums and though many of the recalls for other models and same models of different years that have a similar steering setup. I believe it is the Malibu of the model year 04, 05, 06, 08, and 09 that are covered by the recall whereas my vehicle is a 2010 which is not covered.

- Gloucester, VA, USA

Jan 142015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the power steering malfunctioned as the power steering warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the electrical power steering control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Keatchie, LA, USA

Dec 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While making a left turn between 30-40 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the bearings in the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. In addition, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering assist motor and the wiring harness in the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Dec 192014

Malibu

I had a loss of power steering "service ESC" light also came on. Car was completely manual steering at that point, extremely hard to control. Same problem with the steering described in the recall 14E044. Also, part made by the same company that the recall involved. I purchased a new power steering sensor and had it installed by a certified mechanic. The power steering still did not operate properly, but this time when the car was turned on, the steering wheel would turn all the way to the right, on its own. When I brought it back to the dealer, they said that the warranty was voided on the product. I have been told by several GM service departments that this is a faulty part and that often times several have to be installed before you find one that works. Also, I was not provided a written warranty from the dealership for the part, but the parts department told that there was a warranty on it. However, no details as to stipulations were provided. I am under the impression that GM and dealerships are aware of this defective part and instead of addressing the issue, they are trying to put the responsibility off on the car owner. The dealership was dishonest in its practices in dealing with this defective part.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Mar 302014

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering failed while pulling out into traffic. Driving approximately 10 mph pulling onto a highway the steering cut out and the warning light illuminated. In order to avoid being struck by oncoming traffic, the vehicle had to be backed up down the street still unable to turn, and struck a light pole. No damage to vehicle other than rear fender popped out of place. Upon restarting the vehicle all functions were normal and warning light was off. Car was taken to dealer where it was test driven and scanned for codes- no problems found. This is a recall issue in the 2008-2009 Malibu, but 2010 models are not included even though they use the same parts. (GM's recall #14V15300).

- Croydon, PA, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel was vibrating and it was unable to be turned in either direction. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14E044000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Dec 082014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Northpoint, NY, USA

Dec 142014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while reversing at 5 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was restarted and functioned as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 242014

Malibu 4-cyl

The traction control light comes on and stays on when I shut off the car it goes out, also my brake light stays on also when im going around a corner the car pulls to the left and it feels like its floating almost I brought it in ad they said it was separation, I just put new tires on it and it isn't right, also my electrical something is wrong the radio light will blink of then come on and go dim, there is also a almost grinding noise coming from thefront right tire, I paid alot of money for this car and I wish I would have got something different there seems to be alot wrong with it, I brought it in on warranty and they fixed brake light and that's it, and then they charged me for a loaner car, {friendlychev}178.00.how can I be charged for a loaner car, and they didn't fix anything else when it wasunder warranty, I got scammed !!!!

- Blaine, MN, USA

Oct 132012

Malibu

My 2010 Chevy Malibu loses power steering at low rates of speed when the steering wheel is moved in either direction. This has put my family in dangers way on multiple occasions. GM/Chevy recently had a recall to fix the issue I am having however they will not cover the 2010 model under the recall. The 2008-2012 models of the Chevy Malibu use the same electronic steering parts however GM feels they only need to recall the 2008 and 2009 models. This is urgent that this be addressed with GM and is a matter of public safety. I also will be writing my local and state regulators in the hopes that this may save lives and document my complaints. Please see GM recall below. Again this does not cover the 2010 model even though it uses the same parts! this has been independently verified by 2 certified GM mechanics as well as 2 local mechanics. If we lose one more life because of GM's careless actions then our system does not work. I can be reach directly by email or at 734-812-6883. Please help. If power steering assist is lost, a message displays on the driver information center and a chime sounds to inform the driver. Steering control can be maintained because the vehicle will revert to manual steering, but greater driver effort would be required at low vehicle speeds, which could increase the risk of a crash. Models subject to safety recall are the: Chevrolet Malibu: All model year 2004 and 2005, and some model year 2006 and model year 2008 and 2009 vehicles service parts installed into certain vehicles before May 31, 2010 under a previous safety recall depending on the vehicle, GM will replace free of charge either the power steering motor, the steering column, the power steering motor control unit or a combination of the steering column and the power steering motor control unit.

- Plymouth , MI, USA

Aug 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the power steering warning light illuminated and excessive force was required to turn the steering wheel. The contact turned the vehicle off and restarted but the failure persisted. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the input torque sensor failed and the steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. The contact was made aware that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 125,861.

- Hopkinsville, KY, USA

Oct 282014

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering goes out in middle of left hand turn. Pull over turn car off start car power steering back on. Happens off and on every few days.

- Pekin, IL, USA

Oct 162014

Malibu 4-cyl

The power steering assist light has been coming on in my car but the power steering has worked. I took it to the dealer twice and was told the problem was nothing to worry about. It would cost hundreds to fix. The power steering failed, however, when I was operating the vehicle at approximately 20 mph. I pulled over turned off the ignition restarted the car and the power steering worked. GM has recalled earlier model years for the same problem. See recall notice at this url: media.GM.com/media/us/en/GM/news.detail.html/content/pages/news/us/en/2014/Mar/0331-power-steering.html GM has refused to remedy this safety defect, tell me the part at issue or or inform me as to whether it is the same part that led to the recall on the earlier model year.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Sep 302014

Malibu

My seat belt warning pings when I am buckled up and goes off as frequently as it would if I was not buckled up. My "service air bag" light randomly pops up my car revs when im driving at the same pace on a flat road. Which is scary because it speeds up too. My driving wheel sticks sometimes. I feel like its not a safe car I bought this car in Feb thinking it was a good investment and I regret it 100%.

- Bakerafield, CA, USA

Sep 182014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was stopped to wait on oncoming cars to pass to turn left onto a street. As I was about to turn with my children in the car the steering wheel locked up and would not turn.if, my steering wheel would have not been turned already, as I was getting ready to turn, I would have been hit on the right side where my child was sitting. I had no option but to drive up on the curb. This is the same situation as the 2008 and 2009 model Malibu's which have a recall on them for steering:electric power assist system GM's recall #14V15300 recalled 3/31/14. Obviously this recall needs to be added to the 2010 model since it is still occuring. I took my car to the freeland chev. Where they had to replace the entire steering column due to the bad torque sensor. This cost me $689 to replace, I feel GM should take responsibility for this and add the 2010 model Malibu to the recall list so that I can be reimbursed for their error and so their customers that put trust in purchasing their vehicles are safe. To note I have contacted and spoke with several reps at GM none of which offered any type of help with this matter.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Nov 122013

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel seized and excessive force was required to turn the steering wheel. The dealer stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 116,760. Updated 11/21/14 updated 02/03/15

- Middle Town, CT, USA

Aug 132014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver and the traction control warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on three occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 222014

Malibu 4-cyl

While leaving the parking lot, my power steering alert came on. I took my car into the mechanic, and he found an error message relating to the steering column in my car. He said to fix the problem, they would need to replace the entire steering column, align the wheels/steering, ect. All at a cost of about $873. My car isn't even 5 years old yet, and I'm forced to replace the steering column? I see that GM has recalled the 2004-2006, 2009 Malibu models, and a number of other years and models due to faulty power steering. I drive home to see my mom who is at the end of life with cancer. That drive is about 130 miles one way, mostly interstate driving at 65mph. If I don't have this fixed, I could possibly loose my power steering, or worse, loose steering all together, and not only injure or kill myself, but others on the road. So I am forced to fix this issue, which I feel should be included in the recalls. I don't think I should have to pay almost $1000 for a car that isn't even 5 years old, that I paid $25,000+ for. Resolution for me would be to be reimbursed for the work I'm going to have done, and have the 2010 Malibu's added to the recall list. Thank you

- Racine, WI, USA

Sep 072014

Malibu

While going thru a turn the input shaft came out of the rack and pinion causing loss of steering. Wheels went straight causing the car to jump the curb and strike boulders in the land scape.

- Ogden, UT, USA