2.9

2011 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 032015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While backing out of a parking lot, the ESC error warning indicator illuminated continuously. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 77,000.

- Hemrico, VA, USA

Feb 202014

Malibu 4-cyl

2011 Chevrolet Malibu experienced problems associated with the electronic stability control and was not drivable. The consumer experienced a problem associated with the electronic stability control/ the check engine and ESC lights illuminated. The vehicle would loose acceleration and the ability to accelerate while in motion. The consumer believed the problem she experienced, was the direct result of recall 14V252000. The consumer was informed, the repair that was performed, was not covered by the recall.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 012014

Malibu

Cannot pass inspection! short circuit fault - camshaft position actuator solenoid fault. Open or short circuit detection condition in the solenoid. This is a known issue and defect with Chevy Malibu and other models and my VIN has not had one recall issued on it - though there have been several recalls already on other Malibu 2011 models. Need to have dateline nbc or an attorney investigate VIN fraud for not having my VIN # assigned these recalls for which the manufacturer would pay for all repairs related to these known safety defects.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Jan 122015

Malibu

Was idling at a drive thrue window and the car dash lights started coming on. Ecs off notification, transaction system off warning light. Car engine was stuttering, than reving up to faster speed. Had car brake on, tried putting it into neutral and it still did the slow down/speed up engine speed. Very dangerous, turned car off and turned it back on. Ecs off light is now dark but engine light is still lit

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 082015

Malibu

I was driving home in the snow and my traction control kept going on. Then something seemed wrong and suddenly my speed was reduced to 5-10 mph and my car started shaking and couldn't get a grip on the road at all. Then the car said engine power reduced, service traction, ESC off. Luckily I was only going about 20 mph because it was snowing. Normally I would have been on the expressway going 55mph! and I have 2 kids! luckily no one was hurt. So I took it in to the dealer and they said I needed to replace throttle body and exhaust cam actuator which cost me almost $1000 and wasn't covered under my 5 year power train warranty. My car is almost 4 years old with 47000 miles.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 012015

Malibu

When I'm driving on the express way or on the streets the ESC, traction control and engine light comes on and my car shakes and makes a loud noise. I have done research on thsi issue and I have noticed that this has happen to other customers as well. When I went in to have it repaired I was told there is not a problem

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 232014

Malibu

I was driving home from being out of town on 10/15/13 while driving on the freeway while driving about 80mph when out of no where the car started to shake and vibrate then the "traction light, service ESC, engine power turning off and car went from going 80mph to 10mph on the freeway, while a big diesel truck was behind me in which I was to be able to pull to the side to avoid being rear ended by the diesel, in which I had my 8 yr old daughter in the car and other family members. On December 23,2014, the same thing occurred while driving the car at 60mph it reduces speed to almost zero mph, shakes with the "traction sensor light and "service ESC engine power turning off comes on and the car stalls! leaving me stranded and having the vehicle towed again! the first time this occurred the dealership told me since the engine light wasn't on anymore it would be difficult to diagnose!? I continued to drive the car until the second incident! I called 2 Chevrolet dealers in fresno, ca I was told they haven't heard any complaints, which is astounding because after reading the numerous complaints on this website of others having the same issue with the same car is unbelievable until there's a law suit!

- Fresno, CA, USA

Dec 242014

Malibu

I was driving to Maryland for christmas break on I95 going 70 mph on cruise control when all the sudden my car made a noise and shook. Then the ESC message came up on my dashboard along with the traction control symbol "service traction ESC."then my car switched to reduced engine power and I was only able to go 25 mph. I was in the middle of traffic and had to turn on my hazards and make my way over to the shoulder to inch my way to the next exit. When I got to the shoulder the car was shaking like it would stall out and sounded like it was misfiring. I shut my car off and waited about five minutes. When I turned it back on I was able to drive another 20 miles before the same thing happened again. This happened 6 times before I finally made it to a mechanic who told me that I had a bad throttle body and it would need to be replaced. Four and a half hours later I finally made it to my destination. I went to a Chevrolet dealer who then told me that the part and service would cost me 825 to fix and that this was not under warranty.

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Mar 152014

Malibu

Since March 2014, I had instances where the Chevy Malibu I was driving warned me on the dash that I needed to service the ESC. It would tell me ESC turned off and traction control turned off. This message would disappear when I turned the car off and restarted. It started doing it more frequently so I called GMC on August 2nd. I had to wait 2 weeks until they could get me in to the dealer. This whole time my car was shutting of my traction control. The malfunction indicator light came on solid and stayed on for 3 days on September 12th. They paid to diagnose and found that my 4th cylinder was missing and was leaking 45%. on September 17th, they suggested $140 for a carbon coil flush to see if it could possible fix the problem. On September 25th they did the coil flush at 10 am. At 1:06 I got the message that ESC active. I went on a 2 week vacation and did not drive my car. On October 12th, at 2:08pm ESC warning and shut traction control off. October 13th, at 5am the warning indicator light came on solid. On October 27th, they replace my intake/exhaust valve on the left side. I have not received any warning lights since then, but I drove from August to the end of October with the car shutting off the traction control. I can imagine trying to drive in heavy rain and dying because I didn't have traction control when I needed it most.

- Carthage, MO, USA

Sep 272014

Malibu

As I was driving my 2011 Chevy Malibu home to tulsa ok from Arkansas my car dropped speed, I lost my power steering, the reduced engine power light came on, service traction ESC light came on too. When this happened I was on the highway driving 65 mph and then the car lost speed down to 15 mph. I was almost hit on the highway. I made it off the highway and stopped at a store but could not figure out what was wrong. I made it home barely and the next morning my car started and I've had no problems until Monday Dec. 22nd when I was leaving work to go home the same thing happened. I stopped and turned my car off for a little while then when I restarted it it was fine. Had no more problems until christmas eve when my fiancéE and I were headed to Texas to be with relatives. We had to pull over about 5 times due to the car having the same issues. My fiancéE looked under the hood to see if he could figure out what might be wrong and all he found was that our battery cables were loose on one side. We finally decided to stop and buy a new battery cable. We made it to Texas and had no problems until we were headed back home from Texas. We made it about halfway home when we had the same problem. We had to pull off the road about 15 times total. Each time we just turned the car off for a moment. We would get back in the car and make it about 10miles down the road when the same issue started again. My fiancéE finally thought maybe our battery was going bad. We stopped and bought a new battery for $120 and replaced it. At first we thought this fixed the problem but only made it about a mile when the problem happened again. We would pull off the road and turn the car eoff and it would run good for a mile or two and we would have to pull off the road again. We didn't think we were going to make it home but we finally did.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Nov 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the service ESC and the traction control warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that there was a sudden increase of engine rpms. However, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was able to restart but the failure progressed over time. Several months later, the contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was serviced under the recall and the technician stated that the cam shaft position actuator solenoid valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who diagnosed that the throttle body assembly would need to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 85,656.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Nov 242014

Malibu

As I was driving down the highway, my service air bag light illuminated. Onstar was called and they diagnosed the car as having an malfunction in the air bag, pulled off to the side of the road and had car towed to nearest dealership. As I was waiting for the tow company to arrive, I tried to start the vehicle after 2 hours to which all lights started flashing and car went completely dead. Note, car was just in the shop 2 days prior for oil change and recall on BCM. Dealership came back with a $1200 estimate for repair or replacement of an airbag. $858 for the airbag replacement and $241 for a new battery. Dealership would not cover this under warranty stating sometimes electronics have issues.

- Kansas City , MO, USA

Nov 222014

Malibu

While driving down the highway, my power engine warning came on and the same as warning lights for ESC and traction warning. I just recently took my car into the dealer for fixing the recent recall problem and I wonder if it made my car worse?? will be stopping by Monday morning...if I make it home ok after I've had to stop and pull over twice to fix the problem

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 052014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated and the electronic stability control warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Lettsworth, LA, USA

Aug 132014

Malibu

2011 Malibu was acting like it was not getting enough gas or bad spark plugs. Then the check engine light came and other indicator lights. Had a diagnostics ran and said that the fuel pump had a pin hole. Replace the fuel pump, got a tune-up ran good for a couple of days. Went to start the car again and it once again started acting as if it was not getting enough gas and engine light once again came on, service ESC, service traction. When driving on the highway it will sometimes slow down from the current speed. Found a recall concerning the service ESC, but the dealer said they do not think it has anything to do with that. This started when all of the code started popping up.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Mar 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

2011 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle body control module connection system recall notice. The consumer stated the dealer did not inform him of any recall. The vehicle would not start. Each time, he went to the dealer, they stated nothing was wrong. On once occasion, in March 2014, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The consumer voluntarily surrendered the vehicle to the bank.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Sep 262013

Malibu

My service ESC light kept coming on and I took the car to the dealer and they didn't know why it was on other than some kind of glitch and they made it turn off. In July of 2014 I got the safety recall letter and have yet to hear anything. The light us on again and steering is funny and other lights are coming on for no reason. Tells me my tires need air and they do not! my children ride in this car!

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 272014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact stated that the dealer was contacted twice and was informed that the part was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Statesboro, GA, USA

Aug 112014

Malibu

Driving on bridge at 55 mph...felt like I had a tire blow, car somewhat lost power, then heard chime from dashboard message center. Two messages appeared on message center.."power steering" and "ESC service". noticed I had no power steering...made it to work.....not only did power steering go out, but I could barely turn corners and had an extremely rough time turning the wheels to park. It was as though I didn't even have rack and pinion steering...the steering was difficult like when your car dies. I went out to the car an hour later, started it, and all messages/warning were gone and I had power steering back. Called dealership and they said to schedule appt so they could reserve a loaner vehicle due to recall.

- Euless, TX, USA

Jul 162014

Malibu

Currently there is a safety recall number 13036 on my vehicle. I was directed by GM to take my vehicle to the nearest dealership and have a diagnostic test ran on the vehicle for potential problems with the wiring harness. When the vehicle diagnostic test was done there were no issues found in regards to codes being displayed. This test was not the test that was supposed to be done according to a GM representative since they have no information on the recall itself, other then what was listed in the recall letter. When I expressed my concern for the safety issues since I have been experiencing them all along I was told I would have to drive the vehicle until parts were available. I was also told that the vehicle was safe to drive, regardless of the potential for an increased risk of a crash due to the circumstances of the recall. I also diid not receive any information in regards to the test that was preformed on my vehicle by the dealership, which I was told by the GM representative was also incorrect. II was originally told by a GM representative that the parts were also available regardless of what the letter stated and that I should disregard that portion of the letter. This was also determined to be false as the parts are not available until mid August according to a GM rep at a later date. As of yet there has been no resolution to the issues I have experienced while driving and parked. These issues include the increased travel needed to stop the vehicle as well as the ecs being displayed as not functioning while parked and driving. Although my wife and I both have expressed our concerns with the vehicles safety and its current issues GM has failed to provide any resolution to the problems or the issue with the recall, when they could simply authorize a rental or service loaner rom the dealership.

- Girard, PA, USA