2.7

2011 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 082015

Malibu

Took my car in to dealer because it started shaking violently going 20 mph, needed a new transmission is what I was told, had the transmission put in and now the ESC, and other lights are on!

- Toledo , OH, USA

Jun 102015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle shook violently and the service electronic stability control, service traction, and engine power reduced warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- Grand Rapids , MI, USA

Jun 062015

Malibu

6/6/2015 car was sitting in parking lot. Upon trying to start the car errors for electronic stability control and reduced engine power showed up. Car was sputtering and running rough. Turned car off. Waited a little while and started car again and no error messages. But the check engine light came on. The error code that came up was P2101. 6/10/2015 same thing happened. Let the car sit for about an hour and tried to start again. Smelled heavily of gas when it started. Check engine light is on.

- Moore, OK, USA

May 102015

Malibu

While driving the vehicle I suddenly felt a light jerking sensation. The service ESC and service traction control lights immediately came on. The vehicle jerked to a stop. Once the vehicle was turned off and then restarted the indicator lights are gone. I've had this problem several times in the past two months and have had it in the shop. The certified Chevrolet dealership changed the front wheel bearing. The car did well for a little over a week. Now the problem is reoccurring. The dealership also found codes for a fuel injection failure but were not able to "duplicate" the codes so no repair was performed on that. The service ESC and service traction control problem is dangerous. If I didn't have to go to work I wouldn't drive the car. It's a safety hazard as I am a long distance commuter. I have had all service and recalls completed since purchasing the car a little over a year ago. Dangerous!! I'm hopeful that our government officials will force GM to issue a recall to remedy the issue before people lose their lives.

- Postville, IA, USA

Apr 202015

Malibu

I was slowing down to make a right-hand turn and the power steering suddenly ceased, forcing me to steer manually. I was not able to complete the turn, I had to stop quickly and resume my direction of travel prior to turning. If there was another vehicle traveling in the opposite direction of where I intended to turn, most likely I would have collided with that vehicle. I had to use a significant amount of force to manually steer the vehicle after losing the power steering. Also, as a result of the power steering failure, the vehicle ESC became inoperable. I was able to carefully drive the car to a Chevrolet dealer and was advised I need a new electric power steering motor and other parts totaling approximately $1200. I advised Chevrolet of this situation and currently awaiting to hear from them. I regard this product failure as a very serious safety issue with potential risk of personal injury. The vehicle has 39,085 miles and has been dealer serviced since purchase.

- West Wyoming, PA, USA

Feb 202015

Malibu

Several warning lights came on (ecs and traction control) and the display read, "loss of power". I was at highway speed and the car slowed to about 15mph. I was unable to increase my speed. After turning off the ignition switch in a parking lot, and waiting for about 15 minutes, I started the car and it ran fine. However, on the following Monday the same thing happened 6 times while trying to get it to bergstrom Chevrolet dealership. The first attempt to repair the problem only made it worse, and the second time a new throttle body assembly was installed. This repaired the problem. On my son's Chevy truck the same problem was covered under a recall, but on my Malibu I was told it was not. On the internet I was able to find six pages of similar problems that other Malibu owners had. They too were told that it was not covered under a recall. This type of problem could have, and maybe has, caused numerous accidents and I assume injuries. There should be a recall and I should be completely reimbursed for my repair expense.

- Verona, WI, USA

Apr 142015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle decelerated to approximately 10 mph and the ESC and traction control sensor lights illuminated. After stopping the vehicle and restarting the engine, the failure continued to occur. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Haslett, TX, USA

Apr 052014

Malibu

While driving my 2011 Chevy Malibu a service ESC service traction message came on then it says ESC off traction control off. This happened one time & after car was turned off & started again, problem didnt occur again untill a couple months later. Then the message then was coming on almost everytime I drove the vehicle, & when the message was on the car would spit & sputter.trok it into the local shop they replaced the traction control sensor. This helped for a couple months, problem then occured again, took back into shop they replaced the camphasors, this helped for a couple months. Then vehicle became undriveable: Rpms would drop to zero, car would loose all power while driving would need to shut car off & start again, spitting & sputtering of the engine & loosing power. Toke vehicle in they tested it and it ran codes P0300, P0204, P0203, P0202 & P0201 they contacted GM who recomeded replacing the ECM. Replaced ECM. A week later service ESC/service traction message is now appearing off and on again. Car will spit & sputter when message is on. This issue has been going on for over a year & no one can tell me how to fix it"?" I can not afford to have my vehicle in the shop every week with the mechanics guessing as to what will fix this. There are many of these complaints out there & GM can not tell me how to fix this issue. I am now back to square one. I have a 4 year old vehicle that does not even have 100,000 miles on it and I can not trust it to take it anywhere. This issue needs to be resolved before someone gets hurt, very unsafe to have a vehicle spit & sputter randomly & loose all power driving down the road! very unimpressed with GM & my GM vehicle, will never own another GM vehicle again.

- Prairie Du Chien , WI, USA

Apr 032015

Malibu

2011 Malibu 2lt 3600 vvt. I have multiple instances of the service ESC, service traction control & engine power reduced messages appearing. The last time, today, almost caused me to be rear ended due to the engine fluctuating between about 200 and 1500 RPM. After the first instance I brought the car to a dealer to have recall #14V252000 addressed. This seemed to solve the issue but after a couple of days it all happened again telling me there's obviously something else wrong. Through on-line research I have found hundreds of complaints about this exact same issue with almost as many supposed causes. There is no warranty left on my car and I can't afford a mechanic to guess. I strongly feel that GM needs to address this issue before someone dies.

- Gasport, NY, USA

Nov 142014

Malibu

While idling, my 2011 Malibu's ESC light illuminates every day and at every red light/stop sign. The vehicle also drives on its own at 72 mph after I take my foot off the gas pedal. The local Chevy dealer requires me to pay a service fee to check for a problem that they are we'll familiar with. I did rec've a call from Chevy Corp who stated they will pay for the first hour to attempt to diagnosis the problem, but I would be responsible for any cost after the first hour/coffee break. After reading about many others with the same complaint - shame on Chevy!!

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Mar 032015

Malibu

I was driving my 2011 Chevrolet Malibu at about 40 mph on a fairly busy 2 lane street. Without warning the car lost power. A message appeared in the information screen indicating something like "reduced power to the engine". also, a message indicated that the engine was operating under reduced power mode because I needed to service ESC, and the engine light was displayed as well on the dashboard. I was fortunately able to get the car pulled off of the road and into a praking lot. I read the owners manual and essentially found out that the vehicle was operating in "limp mode". I took the car to the dealership and found this to be a "common problem" for Chevy Malibu models. My car was, of course, out of warranty and not covered under any sort of recall, so I had to pay about $500 for the repair. My concern is that this is a safety issue as I suddenly and without any warning lost power. Had this occurred when trying to pull across a heavy intersection or merging into traffic this could have caused a serious injury. Further, I see reports all over the internet about this issue and I am reporting this as a serious safety concern - had this situation happened under different circumstances it very easily could have caused an accident and serious injury to someone. I since followed up with Chevrolet service and they essentially told me that they are "aware" of the issue but there are no recalls etc...

- Howell, MI, USA

Mar 012015

Malibu

I was driving on the 376 parkway then all of a sudden my car flashed service ESC engine power reduced service traction. Then is wouldn't drive past 20mph and I could feel the car pulling its self and shaking severely when I would be at stop signs or red lights. The engine sounds like its revving up like a race car. Scared me bad I had this car brand new I actually just got it inspected last month no issues and actually is in a garage when I get home I travel 5 miles daily to and from work. I'm being told my warranty just expired but I see a recall on this model car and also drivers having the same issues as well.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 032015

Malibu

This morning I was driving my children to school when check engine light suddenly came on and car went into reduced engine power mode and was violently shaking. It is snowy conditions and freezing. We were nearly rear ended. I turned the car off for a minute and it ran fine once I restarted. However check engine light remained on. When in reduced power mode it gave a message about the traction and service ESC. Also, for about a week, dash lights have not been working at times. Dangerous and common problems from what I see.

- Dimondale, MI, USA

Feb 252015

Malibu

I was on the way to work when my car started to jump, sputter and then stopped completely, was going on to the expressway. The engine reduced power light came on, engine stability control light came on as did many other lights. Tried to turn the car back on but did not start, waited a bit and finally got the car running. Took to my auto mechanic and stated it was the ecs and throttle body that needs to be replaced. I have looked and there are many complaints about same issue. I was driving today at 70rpm with the lights came back on and was lucky enough for get off the highway prior to car completely stopping. If this is a known issue why is Chevrolet waiting until someone is injury or worst yet killed before a recall is done.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Feb 192015

Malibu

On my way to work, I noticed the engine light on. Car got me to work fine. Checked gas cap just to be sure that wasn't the problem. Off work engine light still on, but car running fine. Did some running for about an hour. Got in the car to go home the light wasnt on, so im thinking maybe a senor bad. Driving home which was about a 30 mintue drive. About half mile from my exit on the highway and engine light pops on, ESC light pops on, reduced engine speed follows. Thankfully I mad it home. Pressrd on star for an on demand diagnostic check and its my throttle control system. Its an 2011 Malibu, next month makes a year that ive had it. Also the third time its going to the shop. First time was the intermediate shaft, the U joint dislocated lost all power to steer, thank god it happened in my parking lot at home fresh off the highyway. Chevy only paid half and after a month battle with them, kicker was it was a recall for that but my VIN number wasnt included. Second time was for leaking transmission. So disappointed with Chevy and past fed up.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 192015

Malibu

Started the car up. ESC and reduce power warning light came on. Today 2/24/2015 makes the 4th time it has done that. Today as I was riding along it done it. Car stalls and jumps. Engine light comes on. Only had the car a year starting at 65000 miles.

- Painter, VA, USA

Jan 292015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the stability traction control warning lamp and the ESC warning lamps illuminated each time the brake pedal was applied. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact stated that within weeks of the recall repair, the failure recurred. The dealer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle needed to be further diagnosed. The recall remedy did not repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,903.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Feb 212015

Malibu

Driving 2011 Chevy Malibu ltz light came on.got message saying engine powering down.car began to shake and speed dropped to about 20 miles per hour.pulled into cvs pharmacy lot.turned car off and re-started.drove around lot for 1 minute.just as I was about to pull off lot and enter expressway.car shut down completely.unable to re-start.waited 2 hour's for tow on star road side service.plan to have car towed Monday morning.will check for ESC recall on this car.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 172015

Malibu

Driving during snow and ice, ESC indicator came on, pushed the tc and it didn't work properly, the car goes only about 20mph with jerking motion, malfunction indicator light is on, fluid from somewhere drain on the ground underneath the car. Tire pressure indicator light is on. Car sat still for about 7 hours and still did the same thing.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Feb 032015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While backing out of a parking lot, the ESC error warning indicator illuminated continuously. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 77,000.

- Hemrico, VA, USA