2011 Chevrolet Malibu seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Nov 282013

Malibu 4-cyl

Recently my 2011 Malibu with 32,000 miles on it has started to show the service air bag on the display. Took the car to the servicer and they told me my car is out of warranty. With me recently loosing my job out of pocket is not an option. After research online I found that the service air bag issue is very common among the 2010-2011 models. I located the service bulletin and contacted GM and they said that my car doesn't qualify with the VIN for the service bulletin. I did inform the representative that I contacted a Chevy dealer a few weeks ago when the issue started occurring to make sure that I wouldn't have an air bag randomly blowing up in face while driving since the issue occurs randomly at speeds between 0-70 mph. The tech advised me that would not occur as when the light is on the air bag system is disabled. Advised GM this during our phone conversation that this would be a huge safety issue for there vehicles as they have corrected on VIN specific 2010-2011 in there words that I would think they would wanna make sure the problem isn't bigger. Needless to say I have to wait for a resolution.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Nov 232013

I was going onto a exit an hit a guardrail on the drivers side, the car spun and I ended up sideways. The airbag deployed but did not inflate. I sustained broken ribs, a facial hematoma and multiple contusions. I was wearing my seatbelt at the time of the accident.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Jun 222013

Malibu 4-cyl

On 6/22/13 at approx 1:40pm I was heading back to work from my lunch break and I was going through the intersection on my green light at approx 30mph when a big Chevy truck blew through the red light going approx 40 mph. I ended up T boning the cab of his truck. Causing me to do a 360. Tore off the bumper completely. My airbags did not deploy and onstar did not call me. Two important safety features of my car failed me! I thank god I am alive with no serious injuries! everyone who saw my car including the body shop are in complete shock of my air bags not deploying! I really would like to know the cause!

- Vista, CA, USA

Feb 212013

Malibu 4-cyl

Check air bag light came on, then reset itself, windshield wipers on intermittent mode shut off and on again. Reported to Chevy dealer, said if light wasn't on they couldn't check it, if the wipers are working properly they couldn't check it. Did this on my last oil change.

- Rehoboth, MA, USA

Jan 112013

Malibu 4-cyl

I started my vehicle on January 11, 2013 and the "service airbag" light came on in the information center in my dash. I took the car to horne auto in show low, AZ, where I bought the car, on January 18, 2013 to have it looked at and was told that it would not be covered under the extended warranty that I had purchased and was told it would be approximately $730 to fix. I went home and got the information from my local mechanic to contact GM about the problem. I was told there was a bulletin sent out that I had until November 30, 2012, to get said problem fixed. In researching this bulletin on, this bulletin was sent out November 1, 2012. Since I never received the bulletin and didn't know about the problem until January 11, I was told I would have to pay for the fix out of my own pocket. I put in a complaint to GM and was then told I could get it fixed for half the cost since GM was going to cover the other half. I put in another complaint to GM to have them fix the problem, seeing this is a safety issue for my kids that I drive around in this vehicle, I do not believe I should have to pay anything for a safety issue that is not my fault and that GM knows about. I don't want anyone else to have to pay for this issue either. I am still waiting for GM to resolve this issue.

- Eagar, AZ, USA

Oct 042011

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained injuries to her back and neck, and was transported to the hospital by ambulance. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was inspected by a technician and a special engineer sent on behalf of the manufacturer. Both the technician and the engineer stated that the crash did not meet the threshold in which the air bags would have deployed. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2,700.

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Jun 192011

Malibu 4-cyl

Airbags failed to deploy in a vehicle crash at 55 mph when hit by large pickup truck hauling empty horse trailer when driver fell asleep at wheel. Impact caused 2011 Malibu to spin at high velocity and roll over. None of the airbags deployed. Injury of front passenger occurred. The SDM module reading showed "no event" occurring and that is just plain unbelievable. A complaint has been filed with GM and denied.

- Marquette, MI, USA