2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 3 of 11)

Jan 302014

Malibu Maxx

A slight pull to the right on the steering wheel causes the power steering to pull back to the left in a random pattern. It clearly happens at a stop if you pull slightly to the right on the wheel. You can feel the steering fight you randomly (multiple pulls within a few seconds) when driving at speed on a road that has a crown to the left.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 292014

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated while driving in various weather conditions, speed and with out warning his vehicle lost all power steering. When the vehicle was restarted the vehicle resumed normal function until the failure recurred. The dealer was notified and stated that the steering column needed to be replaced at the contacts expense. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage 46,000 miles.

- Lewiston, ME, USA

Nov 152012

Malibu Maxx

I've had my car for five years and the power steering has went out and replace 4 times!! I am a mother with three kids driving is very difficult I cannot afford to pay to replace the same part over and over there needs to be a recall on this steering problem there are to many complaints for is not to be an issue!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 232014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I was driving my car to work when the power steering went out. It was extremely hard to turn the vehicle. I was driving the car at approximately 70 mph on the interstate when this occurred. There was a sudden loss of power. The wrench light came on after the power steering went out. There was no warning before the power steering went out. Luckily, I was not in a curve and was on the interstate going straight. Due to the inability to easily turn the vehicle, getting off the interstate ramp safely was close to impossible. This makes the second time this has happened to me. The first time was in 2009. The same thing happened. I was driving to work when the power steering went out. I had a new steering column put in on 7/14/2009 (at 69,000 miles and out of my own pocket). It was pre-owned when I bought it, so I have no idea how many times this has been replaced since 2004, but I am guessing this is why it was traded in.

- Owingsville, KY, USA

Jan 102014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I had just gotten into town and passed my road I needed so I pulled into the next road to turn around and it was extremely hard to turn. I thought I lost my power steering so I turned the car off only to realize it was still running. I started it back up and it seemed to loosen up so I pulled back out on the main road and again could not get the wheel to turn either way at all. If this had happened at a speed higher than 20mph, there would be no way to avoid a wreck. I was stuck on the main road with nowhere to go and was completely blocking traffic in not great road conditions. If this had happened on my way to the destination, I would have had no control and would have went off the road and probable death on the road I was traveling. After reviewing several sites online, this is a common problem with this car. I feel it should be a priority 1 recall. There were a couple of people who wrecked because of it. If this cannot be fixed, we will have no other option than to get rid of the car and warn others of this safety risk. Please consider looking into this as I really do like my car but I have a family of 4 to consider and one child that will be getting his license in a few months.

- Centralia, MO, USA

Nov 292013

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact was driving approximately 15 mph and completing a turn when the power steering assist suddenly malfunctioned, making the steering wheel extremely difficult to maneuver. The contact indicated that the power steering failure sensor was also illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Nov 142013

Malibu Maxx

While driving, heard warning signal, saw warning light (wrench I think), then digital read on radio said "power steering." Tried to change lanes to exit freeway, steering wheel very difficult to move. Realized I had no power steering. Very dangerous situation. This all happened very quickly.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Nov 122013

Malibu Maxx

I was driving down the road heading to work, and went around a curve and all the sudden the service engine light came on and I completely lost my power steering. I managed to pull over and shut my car off, turn it back on and went on my way. The power steering came back at this point. The next morning, I was driving to work, and was getting ready to make a right turn. As I rounded the corner, I lost my power steering yet again. I once again killed the engine and it came back. Both times, I later drove the car home from work with no incidents. This is very dangerous and could cause serious accidents.

- Comstock Park, MI, USA

Jan 102012

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Turned left at an intersection when the a chime sounded and the service light on the dash appeared. Then the power steering went out and the car veered off the road and onto the sidewalk. The car was placed into park and the ignition turned off. The ignition was immediately turned back on and the power steering was restored. This happened last winter, then three times already this winter.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Nov 132013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I was driving slowly in a parking lot and the power steering failed completely. The check engine light also came on. It was very dificult to naigate in the parking lot at such low speeds. When I left the parking lot and accelerated, I was able to manage steering with some force. After turning off the vehicle and restarting, the power steering worked fine and the check engine light went off. I was concerned for my safety and worried I would have an accident due to difficulty steering.

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Aug 012013

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that the steering wheel became hard to turn as the power steering warning light illuminated and the power steering warning alarm chimed. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 36,000 and the current mileage was 37,000.

- Pittsburg , PA, USA

Oct 032013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, there was a complete loss of power steering accompanied by a warning chime. The engine was turned off and restarted. In addition, an unknown fuse was removed from under console and cleaned. The vehicle resumed normally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the steering column and module were both replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000....updated 11-18-13 updated 11/26/2013

- Westfield, NY, USA

Jun 012011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

1st incidence on highway, 2 yrs. Ago steering tightened up and light with car/wrench came on. It resolved on its own quickly soon after calling on star for assistance. Just recently more random incidences of light coming on with no noticeable steering difficulty. Today, while pulling out of driveway, steering frozen, car/wrench light came on, stuck in middle of the street. Turned car off and restarted. Steering loosened up then froze again, could not turn wheel at all, still stuck in the middle of the street. Turned car off and on again. It loosened up again and was able to drive it without further light or stiffness. Planning on visiting the dealership this week for a check up. This should be covered along with the recall for 2005 Malibu since it is the power steering issue.

- Saint Louis , MO, USA

Aug 232013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Started my car after work and my power steering was suddenly gone after working fine for 2 days (just bought the car). I took it to my mechanic and he did a trouble code search. The computer kept displaying torque sensor error. Took it to GM and found out that they will not cover the cost to replace it because I have a V6, not a V4 engine. Apparently GM extended the warranty on the V4 steering columns, but not the V6. Drove back home and let the car sit for about 4 hours. Went and started it up and the power steering was back. Turned the car back off and it overnight. Started again this morning and the power steering is gone again! very unhappy since I just bought the car!

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Jul 092013

Malibu Maxx

I was driving down the road when the power steering went totally out. I heard a chime, saw the wrench light up on the dash and a power steering message appeared on the message panel. I noticed the steering was much more difficult and then went out all together. I turned the car off and back on again and the problem was temporarily resolved only to reappear later again. I know that the 2005 was recalled for the same issue and think this one needs to be also. It is not safe at all to drive.

- Boardman , OH, USA

Jul 072013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Power steering malfunction flashed on the instrument panel and within seconds I lost all power steering until I stopped the vehicle shut it off and restarted engine. I have had this happen before but in the parking lot and random malfunction indicators since I purchased the vehicle. This is a malfunction that these cars rolled off the assembly line with. GM chooses not to do anything about it and if I end up paying over $1,000 for the repair I vow to never purchase another General Motors vehicle again.

- Archie, MO, USA

May 152013

Malibu Maxx

The power steering locks up when driving, gets very tight and cannot turn the wheel.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Feb 022013

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the power steering assist failed. The contact had to use excessive force to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was shut down and restarted but that was only a temporary remedy. The contact also mentioned that the failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the steering column and interior module need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 88,700 and the current mileage was 92,400.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jun 122013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

After several power steering service alarms in the preceding months, that all reset after the engine was turned off, the alarm came on and the power assist failed leaving the car extremely difficult to steer. Took the car into the dealership the next week and they reprogrammed the steering and sent me home. The next day the steering failed again. I then looked up the problem on the internet and found out this is a prevalent problem and has no real fix! what do I do now?

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Apr 292013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

The steering locks up between 2000 and 3500 rpms. The tool, steering and battery light keeps flashing when the power steering locks up or before the steering locks up. Chiming sounds go off and a clicking noise from the dash board. I heard many people are having the same issue. It should be a recall because it almost cause me to be in an accident many time. I had to stop driving me car due to the danger.

- Monroe, NC, USA