2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 6 of 11)

Sep 082011

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. While driving 20 mph, the power steering failed. After turning the engine off and then on, the steering had independently reset. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure nor was the vehicle inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was 44,765. Updated 10/14/11 updated 10/28/11

- Oakland, NJ, USA

Jul 282011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Knocking noise in the steering column, noise and difficulty turning. Noticable play in the steering of the vehicle. Occurs several times a week, I refuse to drive my car on the freeway or at high speeds in fear of electric power steering going out.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 112011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Power steering failed today completely and I ran off the road when entering the highway. I almost crashed into a semi-truck and could have easily been in a large crash if the truck was only a few feet closer. I have researched this problem online and found that this is a common problem with this car. I am not surprised how slow the government works. I assume that nothing will come from my complaint. My power steering has been faulty for a couple years now, but this is the first time it has failed completely. I feel bad if I sell this car because it might kill the person I sell it to, because there is no telling when the steering will fail.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 012011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

In the middle of making turns, right and left, the electronic power steering will deactivate causing car to jerk, then steering will be extremely difficult. Car can be turned off and then restarted and the issue will stop for a short time. There has been recalls for this issue on other GM models but not my model. This issue first occurred while my 16 yr old daughter was driving and almost resulting in an accident. I am extremely concern for my daughter safety will driving this vehicle. I took the car out shortly after this happen to her and within 3 turns the steering wheel jerked, light on dash light, display showed power steering and steering reverted to what can best be described as prepower steering X 2. I am a muscular 300 pound male and I had a difficult time getting the car to turn safely into the lane and later off the road. This is a safety issue that was no covered by GM and should be addressed before someone is injured. Please reopen your investigation into this issue. Thank you for your time.

- Independence, MO, USA

Mar 012010

Malibu Maxx

First started as an occasional steering problem at low speeds. Then progressed to more frequent steering problem at low speed. Next a bad vibration started in the front when breaking. Now a loud clunking noise. Diagnosis by mechanic is defective rack and pinion, steering box, and possibly power steering failure. Research indicates there have been many, many complaints about this, and that the 2005 Malibu was recalled for exactly the same problem last summer.

- East Troy, WI, USA

Jul 052011

Malibu Maxx

2004 Malibu maxx has lost power steering. Weeks prior the steering to the left is loose and steering to the right is tight. Mechanic cannot find an issue. Found over 40 complaints in online car blogs of the same issue. Several had replaced steering column only to find the issue occurred again.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Mar 302011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

My power steering on my 2004 Malibu maxx locks up at random times, throws the car to the left, I was getting the battery light and a ding when this would happen. I had the serpentine belt changed in March 2011 then the tensioner in June 2011. I was told that this would cure the problem, as these components are linked to the alternator and the power steering pump/motor. This problem is still happening, however now, I do not get the battery light, just a ding when the steering locks and the car veers to the left.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Malibu Maxx

Driving through a residential district the check power steering message flashed on the dashboard and then the power steering just stopped functioning. Car was very hard to maneuver and steer. Once restarted, power steering resumed. Since that incident, the power steering failed once again while car was in park on 6/20/2011. Then once car was restarted the power steering reset itself. Very very dangerous!!!

Jun 072011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Malibu maxx, imy power steering goes out constantly, while driving at a speed of 30 mph or 60 mph.I recently was on the highway with my children and it went out while I was making a turn and I almost went off the road.scared me and my kids to death....something has to be done about this....I have read too many stories about the same problems with various people..does someone have to loose their life to get a recall on this or what!!!!!!!!

- Crowley, LA, USA

May 232011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

2004 Malibu maxx steering failure. Vehicle purchased in September 2009. Sporadic difficulty with power steering going out, has increased to a daily occurrence. When accelerating into a turn, must hold onto steering wheel tightly and lean heavily into turn to navigate sufficiently to avoid collision with other vehicles/objects/pedestrians. Problem also occurs on highway, changing lanes, and when navigating exit ramp when there is a curve. Have had steering wheel cleaned and greased, but problem still exists. The column clicks during the turn if the power steering has failed. I see there has been no recall for this failure, and am looking for recommendation for repair, as my research has found little to remedy. A older senior friend with the same vehicle had difficulty navigating a turn in effingham nh a couple months ago, and went off the road, resulting in total loss of vehicle and fortunately, minimal injury to the driver.

- North Providence, RI, USA

May 182011

Malibu Maxx

My Malibu maxx power steering light comes on while driver intermittently. I had the steering column replaced in 2008 for another issue. I know some day the steering will fail at a most critical time. Please investigate this and other steering column problems continue to occur. I can not buy another Chevy with this kind of workmanship. Not looking good for the bailout repayment promise.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 032011

Malibu Maxx

I have a 2004 Malibu maxx and I was driving on the freeway and lost my power steering in the vehicle while exiting on a ramp that turned 360 degrees... I suddenly had to fight with all my might to keep the car on the road and nearly crashed. I've been researching this issue and it is a highly known issue on the internet. If I turn off the car and restart it moments later it will work for a while then fail again unexpectedly... dangerous!!! very dangerous! I'm in the process of contacting a GM service department for a fix... but please help the tens of thousands of drivers on the road who are unsuspecting of this known issue.

- Buford, GA, USA

Dec 152009

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Malibu max. The contact was driving 30 mph when the power steering assist malfunctioned as the steering wheel became tightened. The power steering warning light was illuminated just before the failure and the contact stated that the vehicle became extremely difficult to control. The failure was experienced a minimum of three times and the vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the power steering sensor failed and would need repairing. The vehicle was not repaired. There were no recalls for the vehicle. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Stevens Point, WI, USA

Feb 252011

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact was driving 35 mph when the power steering failed. The steering wheel became firm and the vehicle was uncontrollable. The engine was shut off and when restarted, the power steering was reset and the vehicle resumed normal operation. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was contacted in regards to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 03/24/11 updated 04/07/11

- Watertown, NY, USA

Jan 232011

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. While driving 5 mph, the power steering locked up suddenly. The engine was turned off, restarted and the steering reset itself. The contact planned to have the vehicle inspected by an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- New City, NY, USA

Jan 202011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Power steering column is about to fail for the third time. First time at 45,000 miles, second time at 83,000, now at 169,000.

- Freeland, MI, USA

Oct 182010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

In a turn at higher speeds, the steering wheel becomes stiff, hard to turn, and the bell alarm goes off.

- Rio Vista, CA, USA

Aug 282009

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The power steering in the vehicle goes out while the car is in motion. When power steering goes out, I have to stop the vehicle where I am and turn the car off and restart the vehicle to get power steering to come back on. Also the left turn signal light continues to go out. I have replaced the light several times and it continues to blow after a day. The turn signal being out makes it hard for me to turn when at stop signs. Other drivers don't know I am turning and try to drive while I am making a turn.

- Phenix City, AL, USA