9.1

1. replace brake lines (18 reports)
  2. report it to nhtsa for a recall solution! (11 reports)
2000 Chevrolet Silverado brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet Silverado:

2000 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 012010

Silverado LX 5.2L

lines rusted out will have to replace all to feel safe

- , SANDY HOOK, KY, USA

Nov 162010

Silverado LS V8

I was taking the truck to be checked out before I bought it and while we had it on the rack the brakes blew. The owner said he wasn't going to let me leave because the lines needed replaced. There are actually 5 lines in to a box and 3 came out. They ALL need replaced. I just had the ones that broke replaced, oh and while that line was being replaced the gas line went too. I would like to know if they had a recall that a Chevy dealer would fix it. The other lines that were not touched are scaly, corroded and ready to go at anytime. I love the truck aside from these lines that need to be replaced.

- , Cecil, PA, USA

Jan 082011

Silverado Z71 5.3L

This is my problem, I was backing my truck up to park it in the yard and the brakes went to the floor. Under investigation I found that the brake line is badly rusted and the leak was caused by the wire harness being routed down over the brake line. Therefore the wire harness has rubbed a hole in the badly rusted line. I have worked in the auto assembly industry for 17 years and this is a big no no. I have not moved or messed with the wire harness to cause it to rub the brake line. Thank God I was not driving the truck on the road with my grand kids with me. This could have caused a big hurt to my family. I have read some of the prior complaints on the braking problems and I am not surprised to hear about the problems. Shortly after I bought my truck in 2000 new, I took it back complaining of the brakes and the lack the of stopping power, the dealer brushed me off ( with they stopped within the right limits allowed.) So basically I have stopped driving it only when we need to haul or pull something. I have not felt real safe in it for a long time now. I gave $30000.00 for something that is not going to stand up to it's worth. All I can say to you G..M. is shame on you for not inspecting your products closer, now I am stuck with paying to have it fixed on my retirement pay. Hope someone is listening . No wonder the Japanese are giving you fits, where I worked at (for the Japanese) someone would have been fired if this harness was routed like this.

- , Lafayette, IN, USA

Sep 102010

Silverado 1500 5.3L

it is a pain in the ass when there is a problem -injury or death could occur and nobody cares -i been driving for 40 years and this is the first time on one vehicle this problem happened- this happened twice on my wife and im tired of it..

i been a chevy person all my life -if i could afford a different vehicle but i cant at this time but to suffer trying to fix it what i got cant afford a mechanic to fix it im glad sobody will listen to me

- , Mineral Point, MO, USA

Aug 152010

Silverado LS 5.4L V8

A few months ago, a deer ran out in front of me. I hit the brakes and lost my brakes. We replaced the brake line. About a month ago, we were towing a camper when someone pulled out in fron of me. I hit my brakes and never slowed down. After avoiding an accident, I got the truck home. Got up underneath to realize that all the brake lines were rusted almost all the way through and that when I hit my brakes, one of the lines had split. Very dangerous situation.

- , Gallipolis Ferry, WV, USA

Jun 102009

Silverado LT 5.3L

purchase from stepson. front right line broke with him driving myself took to dealer. all lines need replaced. gm does not offer lines pre made www.classic tube has pre made lines - steel or stainless. nhtsa, as of march 30 2010, investigation open service brakes hydraulic / the office of defects investigation received a defect petition on 3/2 10 requesting the investigation of model yr 2003 chev silverado 2500hd 4wd p/u trucks for corrosion failures of the vehicle brake lines. the petitioner alleged a sudden loss of brake effectiveness and extended stopping distance after a corroded brake burst during a brake application. the office od defects has received 110 owner complaints for model yr 1999 thru 2003 chev and gmc c/k series p/u trucks and suv the complaints allege the loss of braking effectiveness due to brake line rupture because of corrosion in 37 of these complaints. the brake line failure was confirmed by a dealer inspection. three complaints allege that corroded brake line failure resulted in a crash. a preliminary evaluation has been opened to determine the frequency scope and safety consequences of the alleged defect in the subject vehicles. the agency is looking at whether corrosion caused by the use of salt in northern states is damaging brake controls gm said it is cooperating in the investigation.

- , Queensbury, NY, USA

May 242010

Silverado LS 6.0L

Must be that cheap china steel they used, the brake rotors rotted out in 45000 miles! Definitely a safety recall issue, report it so they can recall them! Mine went out while in the Pa mountains! If my wife or daughters were driving we'd be picking daisies by the roots! Hey GM fess upto your screw ups!

- , Levittown, PA, USA

Apr 112010

Silverado LS 5.3L

I had to replace all of the brake lines and the gas line. They were rusted in the center of the truck by the abs unit.

- , Westlake, OH, USA

Oct 022009

Silverado LS 5.3L V8

I know there are others who have the same problem of brake lines and fuel lines rusting out.I spoke with a local mechanic and he said it was a constant job for him on these trucks and tahoes. It has happened to me twice now, and the last time my wife was driving the truck. It will probably take someone getting hurt bad or worse killed before GM will re-call this problem. This is serious, and GM has our tax dollars to do something about it!

- , Stanton, KY, USA

Sep 042007

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

One failed - had it fixed, now another one died. Why would GM use a rust prone material on a critical safety part?

- , Fairfax Station, VA, USA