2000 Chevrolet Silverado brakes problems: rusted brake lines failed

Rusted Brake Lines Failed

2000 Chevrolet Silverado (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

9.0

1. replace brake lines (15 reports)
  2. report it to nhtsa for a recall solution! (10 reports)
2000 Chevrolet Silverado brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet Silverado:

2000 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 092014

Silverado 1500 4.3L

I was behind a woman who stopped (NOW!!!!!) to allow traffic from the interstate to proceed in front of her. It doesn't matter that they have 600 ft to wait in, and the yield sign, she felt it necessary to slam on brakes to let them in. We were accelerating up hill and picking up speed when she did this. I felt my pickup slow, then the pedal went to the floor. I was able to get around her and into a restaurant parking lot, only to have someone cut me off ( in spite of the flashers, and constant horn). I exited the parking lot, and the only option was into town. I navigated traffic for over a mile, on the edge of rush hour and found another driver who realized that I was having a problem, they ran interference for me and allowed me to get into a church parking lot.

I used rubber hose and clamps to make band aids ( 3 of them ), and made it the other two miles home. I thought this may have just been a freak thing, but after reading the post about this problem I think I am correct to conclude, GM will do nothing about this, and someone driving one of these trucks will kill a family, because of the lack of care, concern, and don't give a damn attitude of this manufacturer. I had a rice burner ( 1990 Nissan ) that I used for work, It had 125000 miles on it, when I got my hands on a 1997 motor, I changed the motor out ran up 151000 miles on the second motor. The truck lived in WV, where salt is used on the roads, it was used for work and the kindness it was shown was fluid changes and simple maintenance. The brake lines NEVER FAILED!!! GET IT GM? You kinda SUCK to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Nitro, WV, USA

Mar 042014

Silverado LX 5.3L V8

This is very bad all of my front brakes lines are rusted bad and on march 5, 2014 when I was driving and I was coming to a stop my brake pedal when all the way to the floor. Luckily I was diving slow and down shifted to 1st and apply the parking brake. This is a disaster in the making and Chevy needs to have a recall ASAP to fix this before someone dies.

- , Kapolei, HI, USA

Oct 012013

Silverado 4.3L V6

GM should have to fix these bad brake lines for free. This is definitely a big problem. I have owned many vehicles through the years and this is the first time I have ever seen a hard brake line fail. This could have been deadly due to the fact that there was no warning that the brakes were going to fail. Thankfully we were on our private drive in the process of turning around when the line failed. If we had been on the high way and had to panic stop, we could have been in a serious or fatal accident!!!! Sounds like GM would have a lot of lawsuits due to this problem. Also, this truck has been well taken care of here in NC and both rear wheel wells are rusted completely out!! No wonder they almost went out of business. I am going to try and take off the bad brake lines today and try find replacements. Shame on you GM!!!

- , Fairview, NC, USA

Aug 102013

Silverado

On 8/10/13 was driving in my 2000 Silverado (that I bought new) into town when a vehicle stopped to make a left hand turn and the truck behind him stopped under the viaduct and as I attempted to stop the brake line under the driver's door blew leaving me with no brakes and no place to go. I hit the truck which caused very little damage since I was only going about 20mph I really think since this is happening a lot that this truck should be recalled before people start getting killed in accidents.

I hope that since you are aware of this problem that you give it your attention immediately. Thanks

- , Defiance, OH, USA

Aug 192013

Silverado LS 5.3L

The brake lines are badly rusted . They should have been recalled. They are an accident waiting to happen. The alloy used in the metal lines must be bad.

- , Holly, MI, USA

May 262013

Silverado Z71 5.3

My wife and I were on our way home from an outing and one of the brake lines blew. I took it home and got under the truck to see which one, and they were all rusted to pieces. I replaced all the lines with non-corroding materiel, and went to bleed the brakes. All the bleeders were rusted so bad I couldn't get a wrench on them. Had to replace all the calipers. I already replaced the parking brake cables due to rust. But since the axels have to be pulled in order to replace the parking brake shoes, I guess I will have to rely on the main brakes and hope they do not fail. Hello GM- I would have been happy to pay extra for a "harsh climate" package with stainless brake and fuel lines.

- , Akron, OH, USA

Mar 102013

Silverado LS 5.3L

I read a lot of complaints about rusted brake lines and someone mentioned it could be due to road salt, but I've owned my truck since it was new and only lived in Texas and Florida, so GM really sucks for using inferior quality material in such a critical component. My brakes went out today on my way home from playing golf, so it looks like I will miss a few days of work before I can have this fixed. Not only do I have to pay for the repairs ,I won't be making any money either, thanks GM.!!!

- , Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Nov 012012

Silverado 5.3L

Almost died twice had to get entire breakline system replaced

- , Severna Park, MD, USA

Nov 202012

Silverado LS/Z71 5.3L V8

Besides the engine clatter on start-up and the rusting rocker panels...this truck has been a pretty good one. But now with the brake lines rusting through, I'm pretty upset with GM using inferior materials to run brake lines with. I think they should have been stainless from day one. From what I've read here, its going to cost me around $1400-$1500 to repair if I take it to the dealer.

Sad to say, GM isn't doing anything about the problem, understandably, I've had it for 12 years now and driven a lot of miles. But shouldn't safety be priority one?

I'm damn lucky I wasn't driving when the lines failed. My situation is like most, the lines rusted through under the drivers seat at the attachment point (plastic holder).

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 242012

Silverado LS 3.8L

pressed pedal went to floor.had aaa tow to dealer. lines that go into block on drivers side

rusted out.estimate to repair 1400.00!! no pre-made lines available.i bought my 1st gm

4 wheel drive in 1972 and have never had the corrosion problems that i have had with this truck.i e mailed gm. they contacted me by phone the next day. it took the rep a half hour

to tell me that they would do nothing to help. i am 70 yrs old and retired and unable to afford a new vehicle. if I could it wont be a gm!!

Update from Jun 5, 2012: lines were replaced by dealer. took about 4 days &1451.00. shop manager says problem is due to liquid salt used on roads in northeast. i have no problem with dealer(sutliff chev) they have treated me honestly &fairly for many years! i do have a problem with gm!! thank you for having aforum where we can spout off.

- , Steelton, PA, USA

Apr 062012

Silverado 3.8L

brakes were never any good even when the truck was new had it back to 2 different dealers they said they were in spec rotors rusted out but they would not cover them had to put rotors on 2 times now the lines are all rusted out no brakes don't know much it's going to cost gm should have a recall i worked for gm 30 years and this is what i get

- , Dayton, OH, USA

Sep 082011

Silverado LX 6.0L

Just had new rotors pads tie rods complete front end replace now bake lines failed.

BUY AMERICAN WORST VEHICLE I ever OWNED can't wait to get this bill.

- , South Hackensack, NJ, USA

May 152011

Silverado Z71

Brakes on truck always weak, rotors all needed replaced because of rust pitting big pits in rotors would eat up pads, also replaced all calipers, now brake lines are bursting from corrosion in particular where they are clipped in on frame. Climate here is corrosive but these trucks were built with defective materials in something as important as the brakes.

This truck is not my daily driver and I seldom use it, to date other than brakes, the other failures are, air conditioning only works on high speed, electric mirrors wont adjust, 4 wheel drive works sometimes.

My last GM product I will ever purchase.

- , St Thomas, VI, Virgin Islands (US)

May 162011

Silverado LS 5.3L V8

Rusty brake lines cause safety issues. Poor design and product by GM. What a piece of crap. First one brake line blew and I replace that. Then another blew and I fixed that but when I went to take off a third rusty line let go and put ne into my garage and smashed stuff and took my mirror off. This truck is a rusty crap truck. The rocker panel are rusted thru. Oh, and GM does not make original equipment brake line replacements either in the parts department.

Shame on you GM. You suck. No wonder the Japanese and other car makers are doing better than you. Make a good product damnit. I was a GM man my whole life but this truck is junk with the power windows issue, transfer case shot, knocking engine. POS

- , Marshall, MI, USA

Apr 032011

Silverado LS 5.3L

This is the third problem that I have had with the brakes on this vehicle. The first was the Anti-lock brake sensors rusted out, the second was the rear brakes rusting and having to replace the rotors along with rusted parking brake lines. Not a very good track record for this vehicle. And yes the fuel lines are also rusted and will have to be replaced at some point in time.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Apr 102011

Silverado LS, Z71 4.8L

click to see larger images

rusted brake lines failed

I live 45 miles south of pittsburgh, PA. Drove about a mile and a half from downtown pittsburgh when my brakes gave out on me. Avoided an accident by steering off into a turning lane. Found that I had about an inch long crack "WHERE THE LINE BENDS " right above the chassis-to-rear axle brake hose(chassis bracket). I'm thinking this is a weak point in the metal hose from being bent. Living so far away from home and on a Sunday there wasn't to many places open but for a Pep Boys. Luckily I had AAA and they towed me there. I was quoted $400 and 4 hours to fix the problem. My AAA covered me 100 miles so i had the driver take me home to fix the problem later. FYI if you have a great AAA associate bend over backwards for you, tip him well. Fixed myself for less than $100 and 2 hours of my time later in the week. Though i had a limited amount of time to make my delivery, i rented a truck the next day which ran me $100+. Just hope this flaw, that seems common in this year, doesn't get me into a serious accident later.

- , Uniontown, PA, USA

Oct 012010

Silverado LX 5.2L

lines rusted out will have to replace all to feel safe

- , SANDY HOOK, KY, USA

Nov 162010

Silverado LS V8

I was taking the truck to be checked out before I bought it and while we had it on the rack the brakes blew. The owner said he wasn't going to let me leave because the lines needed replaced. There are actually 5 lines in to a box and 3 came out. They ALL need replaced. I just had the ones that broke replaced, oh and while that line was being replaced the gas line went too. I would like to know if they had a recall that a Chevy dealer would fix it. The other lines that were not touched are scaly, corroded and ready to go at anytime. I love the truck aside from these lines that need to be replaced.

- , Cecil, PA, USA

Jan 082011

Silverado Z71 5.3L

This is my problem, I was backing my truck up to park it in the yard and the brakes went to the floor. Under investigation I found that the brake line is badly rusted and the leak was caused by the wire harness being routed down over the brake line. Therefore the wire harness has rubbed a hole in the badly rusted line. I have worked in the auto assembly industry for 17 years and this is a big no no. I have not moved or messed with the wire harness to cause it to rub the brake line. Thank God I was not driving the truck on the road with my grand kids with me. This could have caused a big hurt to my family. I have read some of the prior complaints on the braking problems and I am not surprised to hear about the problems. Shortly after I bought my truck in 2000 new, I took it back complaining of the brakes and the lack the of stopping power, the dealer brushed me off ( with they stopped within the right limits allowed.) So basically I have stopped driving it only when we need to haul or pull something. I have not felt real safe in it for a long time now. I gave $30000.00 for something that is not going to stand up to it's worth. All I can say to you G..M. is shame on you for not inspecting your products closer, now I am stuck with paying to have it fixed on my retirement pay. Hope someone is listening . No wonder the Japanese are giving you fits, where I worked at (for the Japanese) someone would have been fired if this harness was routed like this.

- , Lafayette, IN, USA

Sep 102010

Silverado 1500 5.3L

it is a pain in the ass when there is a problem -injury or death could occur and nobody cares -i been driving for 40 years and this is the first time on one vehicle this problem happened- this happened twice on my wife and im tired of it..

i been a chevy person all my life -if i could afford a different vehicle but i cant at this time but to suffer trying to fix it what i got cant afford a mechanic to fix it im glad sobody will listen to me

- , Mineral Point, MO, USA