2002 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems: tapping noise at idle

Tapping Noise At Idle

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

5.0

2. add more oil (2 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Jun 012003

Silverado 6.0L

After reading other complaints, I thought I would share my problems too. I bought my 2002 1500HD chevy used with about 22,000 miles on it. Within a couple of months, I was annoyed by the tapping on start up. I just traded my 1994 2500 5.7 in and went from an extended cab to a crew cab to pull a modest camper and a growing family of 4.

The old truck never sounded like this piece of crap. It was under warranty, but the dealer said it was only on start up. I bitched so much, they wanted to give me a 100k warranty, which I never got. I wanted to sell it, but never did, because I love the rest of the truck. I now have 111,000 miles on her and after 2 starters, a wiper blade motor, both axle seals replaced, broken cruise control, a rough idle, and now a new throttle body, I still have the tapping noise at start up.

I want to stay American made, but I ask myself why?

They are playing Chevy's song: "TAPS"

- , Roselle, IL, USA

Dec 232010

Silverado EX V6

Tapping noise upon start up. I had the Chevy dealer ship analyze it and they say I need new lifters. $1900. I checked around one guy said I need a new motor. So I went to an old shop out on the Hwy and an old man that had been there for years said, lifters stickin' just put some oil lubricant in it. So I put some Lucus oil treatment in it. But it still does it.

Gbone

- , Whitehouse, TX, USA

Jul 222009

Silverado LS 5.3L V8

I have a question about my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS it is a 5.3L V8. I went to the chevy dealership where I bought the truck. It was fine about 2 weeks after buying the truck I had realized an engine ticking , so I walked into the chevy dealership on a Friday roughly 2 weeks after I bought the truck and I asked them what the problem was. The technician then says there is nothing wrong with it, it just has a ticking on a cold start and the ticking will go away after 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Well here I am, a month and a half after that visit and when I go to an ATM the engine ticking is still going on after 5 minutes of use to the truck... What the heck is wrong with this thing? I was thinking that the valves aren't sitting right or the timing was just off a bit or something but I still have no clue, please answer back.

- , East Hampton, NY, USA

Dec 032008

Silverado 4.3L V6

Along with this problem, the distributor cap and rotor burned up twice. The first time at 11000 miles. This problem is a very loud ticking noise at cold start-up and very sluggish til it warms up. It is still noticeable even then. Dealership says it needs a new set of lifters, so I said go for it. How do I know otherwise? If the problem exists after the fix, then they can lick their calf over. What a pain in the ass at only 78000 miles and with a regularly scheduled servicing. Maybe a Ford is the answer.

- , West Frankfort, IL, USA

Feb 292008

Silverado 4.8L

apparently this is a well known GM engine issue. They deny it is a problem but acknowledge a piston slap issue! Who the hell will buy this thing now?????

- , Charlotte, NC, USA