5.0

2. add more oil (2 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Jun 012003

Silverado 6.0L

After reading other complaints, I thought I would share my problems too. I bought my 2002 1500HD chevy used with about 22,000 miles on it. Within a couple of months, I was annoyed by the tapping on start up. I just traded my 1994 2500 5.7 in and went from an extended cab to a crew cab to pull a modest camper and a growing family of 4.

The old truck never sounded like this piece of crap. It was under warranty, but the dealer said it was only on start up. I bitched so much, they wanted to give me a 100k warranty, which I never got. I wanted to sell it, but never did, because I love the rest of the truck. I now have 111,000 miles on her and after 2 starters, a wiper blade motor, both axle seals replaced, broken cruise control, a rough idle, and now a new throttle body, I still have the tapping noise at start up.

I want to stay American made, but I ask myself why?

They are playing Chevy's song: "TAPS"

- , Roselle, IL, USA

Dec 232010

Silverado EX V6

Tapping noise upon start up. I had the Chevy dealer ship analyze it and they say I need new lifters. $1900. I checked around one guy said I need a new motor. So I went to an old shop out on the Hwy and an old man that had been there for years said, lifters stickin' just put some oil lubricant in it. So I put some Lucus oil treatment in it. But it still does it.

Gbone

- , Whitehouse, TX, USA

Jul 222009

Silverado LS 5.3L V8

I have a question about my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS it is a 5.3L V8. I went to the chevy dealership where I bought the truck. It was fine about 2 weeks after buying the truck I had realized an engine ticking , so I walked into the chevy dealership on a Friday roughly 2 weeks after I bought the truck and I asked them what the problem was. The technician then says there is nothing wrong with it, it just has a ticking on a cold start and the ticking will go away after 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Well here I am, a month and a half after that visit and when I go to an ATM the engine ticking is still going on after 5 minutes of use to the truck... What the heck is wrong with this thing? I was thinking that the valves aren't sitting right or the timing was just off a bit or something but I still have no clue, please answer back.

- , East Hampton, NY, USA

Dec 032008

Silverado 4.3L V6

Along with this problem, the distributor cap and rotor burned up twice. The first time at 11000 miles. This problem is a very loud ticking noise at cold start-up and very sluggish til it warms up. It is still noticeable even then. Dealership says it needs a new set of lifters, so I said go for it. How do I know otherwise? If the problem exists after the fix, then they can lick their calf over. What a pain in the ass at only 78000 miles and with a regularly scheduled servicing. Maybe a Ford is the answer.

- , West Frankfort, IL, USA

Feb 292008

Silverado 4.8L

apparently this is a well known GM engine issue. They deny it is a problem but acknowledge a piston slap issue! Who the hell will buy this thing now?????

- , Charlotte, NC, USA