2.8

2003 Chevrolet Silverado electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 102012

Silverado

I purchased my Chevy Silverado truck in 2003 new off the lot at john L. sullivan in roseville California. Within a couple years, I made a left hand turn at an intersection and lost power. I nearly hit a homeless man with a shopping cart, as I came up over a sidewalk. I called Chevy and got towed back in. They told me it was a solenoid? they fixed it and that was that. A year later, I am driving down a busy major street and make a left turn. As turning I lose power and my truck dies. Cars behind me honking. Light changes to red and cars still behind me. Now other lights are green. I turn my key again and it turns on and I get out of the way. I have 4 teenagers in my truck with me screaming. I take my truck to john L. sullivan and they test drive. Nothing happens. They say there is nothing to fix. Couldn't get it to die on them. A year later, make a U turn on busy street. It dies and loses power. I have no breaks and no steering. Cars honking. Again take it to john L. sullivan. Nothing. A year later, taking a car load of women out to dinner and drinks. All hard working mothers. I am the only non drinker. At midnight I am taking the women home. U-turn at intersection, and truck dies. Again. No breaks or steering. Scared women. Turn it over and it goes. I take my truck to john L. sullivan. They have just moved to another building down the street. All my records of ignition problems gone. They have no idea where any of them went. They test drive. Nothing. They have yet to fix anything on it. It hasn't done it in over a year. But no telling when it does happen. It just happens.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 022013

Silverado

We were driving on US19 in new port richey, fl, when traffic slow down for a red light and I lost all breaks had to veer off the road almost got into a head on accident, the only way to stop was by using the emergency breaks, could not change the gears, everything just froze. We just moved from Connecticut a year ago. Now the instrument gauge cluster panel is not working, RPM, speedometer is not reading at all, it just states on 0, this is the second time it happened in about 2 months.

- Holiday, FL, USA

Feb 012014

Silverado

2003 Silverado started by itself while I was putting gas in. Key was in ignition but was not turned on. It started in reduced power mode. I do not have a remote start installed on this vehicle.

- Waucoma, IA, USA

Jul 032007

Silverado

Air conditioner shorts out. We have had every panel replaced trying to fix it, but it keeps happening. There is also a problem with this trucks brakes rotting out and brake failure. This happened 2/2013. There is also a problem with the drivers seat and seatbelt. Both have completely broken in the truck 5/2013. We have never received any recall notices for this truck.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Feb 212013

Silverado 6-cyl

Overheated connector in dash, possibly loose at assembly. Origin behind instrument panel, driver side of dash.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 072010

Silverado 8-cyl

After a 3 mile ride, backing up truck noticed smoke then flames coming out from under the hood. Fire melted all electical lines, destroyed hood and windshield. Weather was perfect, air conditioning may have been on.

- Canterbury, NH, USA

Nov 272008

Silverado 8-cyl

My speedometer reads 125+ mph when I'm only driving 55mph according to my gps. My oil pressures gauge and ammeter also indicate readings in excess of mechanical limits.

- Frazeysburg, OH, USA

Oct 142011

Silverado

The instrument cluster guages are all failing. I did not realize it until I received a ticket for speeding and found out my speedometer was not working correctly.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 282009

Silverado

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the speedometer was reading inaccurately. A local mechanic diagnosed that the instrument panel cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were notified of the failure, but did not offer any assistance with the repair. The failure mileage 43,000 and the current mileage was 63,900.

- Clintwood, VA, USA

Mar 152011

Silverado

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado. I've started having trouble with the electronic dash. About two months ago it sometimes came on then off, but now it just stays off. Nothing shows up. I have no clue how much gas I have, how fast I am going, how many miles on the truck etc... now I am told that it happens a lot with Chevy's. the only way to get it fixed is to bring it in and taken apart then has to get sent out so then can computerize it to that truck. There is no other way, and that will take between a week or two. Crazy!!!! now I have to rent a car in the mean time. Chevy needs to pay for this.

- Medford, NY, USA

Jun 152010

Silverado

I have an 03 Chevy Silverado. My speedometer works intermittently if at all. When it does work it is usually off by a good bit (high and low). It has never been in an accident and is a one owner. I googled "Silverado speedometer bad" and found hundreds of similar complaints as mine. It is a regularly occurring problem for me and many others as well. Dealer says it is a $500 repair. I now rely on my gps which has a speedometer feature on it.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Apr 302010

Silverado

In-dash gear selector light is inoperable. Light stopped burning for no reason and during the day time can not see what gear the vehicle is currently in. There is a possibility that vehicle could not be in park and could roll away from vehicle operator when it was thought to be in a parked position. To fix the light one large part that covers multiple dash components is replaced not just a single component and this part costs hundreds of dollars even if other components are working fine. This component also has to be installed by a dealership since it covers the odometer.

- Fort Polk, LA, USA

Dec 212009

Silverado

2003 Chevy Silverado speedometer. Started giving incorrect readings last month. Now unit is stuck at 45 mph. Sometimes needle will move.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jul 162009

Silverado

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500hd diesel. Speedometer maxed out when really only doing 45mph. Gauge stuck at maxed out position.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Oct 272006

Silverado

Bought 2003 Silverado 3500 4X4 used in 2006. It had 125,000 miles and ran great. In October 2006, the speedometer started reading inaccurately the oil and battery charge gauge are not accurate either. I consider this a safety issue. I received a letter stating, the instrument panel may be defective. The problem I have is the mileage. It is over the maximum allowed to replace the cluster. I have over 200,000 miles on my truck. The truck runs great and I would not think twice about taking long trips(over 2,000 miles) as I do because of my work. I don't think there should be a mileage limit at all. There is clearly a major problem with the cluster. I think there needs to be a recall period, not just a letter stating there is just a problem. Please look into this again. Thanks D.H

- Doyline, LA, USA

Aug 142008

Silverado

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado with 85,000 miles. The oil pressure gauge on the instrument panel stopped working at 80,000 miles. Without the engine running the needle moves all the way to the maximum. I have herd from many Silverado owners that they have experienced the same problem with there vehicles. Why is there no recall with so many complaints?

- Dacono, CO, USA

Aug 292008

Silverado

Speedometer fails to read, or reports incorrect speed.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jan 082006

Silverado

The daytime running lights have failed due to what appears to be the overheating of the lamp sockets. When you go to replace the lamp' the sockets appears to be burnt and brittle and are missing the little metal tabs used to make contact with the lamp base. You cant replace the lamp. Therefore I only have 1 daytime running light and am worried about a possible fire hazard with the other one. The one that works looks like it's not far from failing and very soon wont be working either. The more I see the amount of GM vehicles (trucks, Silverado, Tahoe, trailblazer, Sierra, Yukon & Envoy's) without two daytime running lights, I really do wonder if GM has a real problem. I see several each and every day without one or both. I have spoke to other owners and they have the same problem with one or both of them. Thank you for your time.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Aug 032007

Silverado

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 60 mph, the contact decelerated and the speedometer displayed inaccurate readings. There were no warnings prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The failure was identical to the one mentioned in the recall; however, the vehicle was excluded from the recall due to its excessive mileage. The vehicle has not yet been repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and current mileage was 88,500.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jan 062008

Silverado 4WD 8-cyl

On January 5, 2008 I arrived home at 11:30 pm and parked my truck in the garage attached to my house. I went to bed and at around 2:00 am I smelt smoke. I walked through the house checking rooms, when I got to the screen door to the garage the handle was hot. I then went out my front door and called 911. The truck was a loss and part of my garage. In less then 11 months this is the 2nd Chevrolet/Silverado that I have owned that has burnt.

- Rushville, IN, USA