2004 Chevrolet Silverado drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Silverado:

2004 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Dec 102009

Silverado 1500 5.3L

When I would stop or go I would hear slack in the rear end. I took it to the dealer and they took the rear cover off the rear axle and told me the pin going through the carrier wallered out the hole in the carrier. I paid them 268.90 for their oil and thought and bought a new carrier and had it installed by the same transmission shop the dealer carries vehicles to have powertrain problems repaired to. They put the carrier in and when I picked it up and paid over 400 dollars for the work and first stop sign heard the same noise coming from the rear end. They stated that I wanted a new carrier installed and that is what they did. You could not run fast enough to give me another chevrolet.

In Greenville Mississippi.

Update from Apr 27, 2010: Put the vehicle in the shop. The mechanic says at about 100,000 miles or less the carrier that the reverse clutches are in either strips out the fine teeth or the whole center cracks out. They have come out with a new carrier that is an after market that is a heavier replacement to keep this from happening again. I think chevy should have a recall and fix all their trans. Anyway I don't care you could not run fast enough to give me another chevy. After over 1600 dollars spent it is running again.

- , Greenville, MS, USA

Sep 012007

Silverado Z71 5.3L

When ever I shift into gear, there is a loud "CLUNK" under the truck, and when I accel. to go, there is a slight lag and then another "CLUNK", as the truck moves fwd. I am on my aftermarket warranty and I don't want to use it.....

- , North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 162007

Silverado Z71 305 V8

I took my 2004 truck to the dealership where I purchased it 3 months prior and they looked at the u-joints and driveshaft. I was told there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and that a certain amount of "play" was normal in 4X4's, hence the clunking noise upon accelerating after braking and the tranny shifting gears (automatic). I expressed my concern about the driveshaft dropping out of the vehicle and was told by a mechanic "he's never seen it happen". The week prior to this I saw a 2005 GMC Sierra sitting on the side of the road on my way to work with the driveshaft on the ground! So you figure it out. The dealership was more than happy to winterize my truck for me, at a cost, but sure wouldn't commit to any warranty work. What ever happened to preventative maintenance?????????

- , Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada