2006 Chevrolet Silverado brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 242014

Silverado

While applying breaks on dry surfaces and coming to a stop the ABS kicks in and pedal goes to the floor. This causes the stopping distance to increase. I have almost rear-ended stopped and parked cars and ran into my garage door. There have been to many close calls so I have pulled the fuse to shut off the ABS.

- Grand Island, NY, USA

Jun 292015

Silverado

While traveling on the expressway in my 2006 Chevrolet Silverado with 26,000 miles on the odometer, I attempted a transient lane change while taking evasive action in order to avoid a hazardous situation. When coupled with the brakes I noticed longer than usual engagement. As a result, I was forced onto the shoulder and had to use multiple downshifts in concert with the emergency brake to bring the vehicle to a halt. It sounded like a train stopping on rails. I proceeded to drive home with hazards on, U never exceeding third gear. The following morning I noticed clear oil underneath the front end of the vehicle. I believe this is an extremely dangerous vehicle and a less experienced driver would have been killed or extremely injured. Lastly, I have also been noticing inconsistency with steering resistance. Sometimes the steering is considerably looser than at other times. I have dismissed this disconcerting sensation by assuming it is weather/humidity related.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 262015

Silverado

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. After the brakes were applied continuously, the speed reduced to 10 mph. The vehicle came to a complete stop when the emergency brake was applied. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Shamong, NJ, USA

May 132015

Silverado

My left front wheel hub assembly failed while driving. Brake system was compromised. I was able to pull over and stop safely, but brakes did not respond as they should. Moreover, there was no indication that the wheel bearing was failing, and I am quite aware of what this sounds like because this will be the fourth time I have replaced the wheel hub assembly on the left side. I have replaced the right hub assembly twice. In all previous times, I heard a slight whirling noise or at worse slight grinding, which would lead me to inspection and replacement before failure. This time it failed without any warning. I believe GM has made a serious design and/or quality error in this truck. This should be investigated because this is a common problem.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Feb 102015

Silverado

For the third time a brake line has rusted completely through and caused complete loss of control. It was located under the drivers seat above the frame. I had absolutely no brakes at 70 mph on hwy 5. I took it to a Chevy dealership and they told me it was not their problem. I am extremely concerned about the forth brake line that is complexly covered in rust. This is going to kill someone when it rusts through.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 252015

Silverado

Brake line rupture resulting in immediate brake failure without warning. Parallel parking a 2006 Silverado when we encountered a complete brake failure and nearly struck another parked vehicle. Brake petal depressed completely to the floor without warning. Steered truck toward curb to fully stop before striking other vehicle. Immediate inspection revealed brake line rupture on drivers side of vehicle in undercarriage area near back of drivers seat. Significant loss of brake fluid and complete brake failure. Fortunately traveling less than 5 mph - five minutes earlier we were traveling at speeds of 70 mph on interstate highway. This could have been a catastrophic event had it occurred on the interstate or the offramp. Vehicle passed a Virginia state safety inspection three weeks earlier. GM or NHTSA should warn GM owners to check their brake lines and also consider a recall.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Apr 282013

Silverado

On approx. 28 April 2013 after a 200 mile trip I was parking my truck when the brake line broke. I then used the emergency brake to stop the truck. At this time I made the necessary repairs to get us back home. Once there I responded to len stoler cheverolet in westminster md. Where I purchased the vehicle. I asked them if they could bleed the brakes, because I did not think I got all the air out of lines. At this time I was waiting in the waiting room when a service advisor came in and ask me to go into the shop because they wanted to show me something. When I arrived at my truck (which was on the lift) they stated the entire brake lines were so corroded that they needed to be replaced at a price of $1610.80. I stated that the so call metal used had to be defected to allow the whole system of lines to rust to this point in only seven years. She then replied that it was not cause by the metal used, it was the new salt that the states uses now. When they replaced the old lines with the new, I ask the service advisor is the metal brake lines being installed, were they using the same kind of metal and she replied, no they are using zink coated lines now. My question did any other trucks like mine have the same problem and why did they use a new metal if there was nothing wrong with original metal..

- Westminster, MD, USA

Feb 212015

Silverado

I was backing up the truck when a car came up behind me and had to hit the brakes hard. The peddle went all the way to the floor, no brakes at all. Had to steer the truck into a snow bank to avoid an accident. The cab of the truck immediately smelled like brake fluid. Took the truck to the shop and discovered the brake lines are rusted at every point where they connect to the frame. Repaired the first leak and another leak started in another line in the same area the lines attached to the frame behind the drivers side front wheel. Repaired the second leak and a 3rd leak appeared inside the frame rail behind the cab where the line attaches to the frame. The lines can not be safely repaired. All new lines must be installed. The truck only has 10,250 miles on it and is always washed including the under carriage after driving on salted roads.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Jan 122015

Silverado

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving 10 mph, the brake pedal shook when it was depressed. The failure recurred several times. The dealer stated that the sensor was rusted and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Means , KY, USA

Oct 182014

Silverado

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the brake pedal was applied and traveled abnormally to the floorboard. The contact mentioned that the vehicle hesitated to stop. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was informed that the front and rear brake lines needed to be replaced due to corrosion. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Wollingford , CT, USA

Nov 142014

Silverado

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 15 mph, the brake pedal extended to the floor without warning and it became difficult to stop the vehicle. The dealer stated that the brake lines were rusted and leaking. The fuel lines were also rusted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 36,900.

- Derby, CT, USA

Nov 142014

Silverado

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 15 mph, the brake pedal sank to the floorboard without warning and the vehicle failed to stop. The dealer stated that the brake lines were rusted and contained leaks. Also, the technician diagnosed that the fuel lines were rusted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 36,900. Updated 3/31/15

- Derby, CT, USA

Nov 252014

Silverado

Vehicle lost brakes due to corroded steel brake lines

- Whitestone, NY, USA

May 082012

Silverado

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the right and left wheel hub assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Alton, MO, USA

Oct 312014

Silverado

As I was procedin towards a yield sign, my brakes seemed to have given out. The vehicle would stop but slowly and nearly caused me to get sideswiped by an oncoming vehicle. Upon returning home I saw a massive pol of brake fluid underneath the vehicle. Having another person hit the brakes I saw that the fluid was escaping from the metal brake line running underneath the cooling fans. The line was severely corroded by rust.

- La Feria, TX, USA

Oct 262014

Silverado

Brake line rusted through. GM knows this is a problem with these trucks, but won't recall.

- Portland, ME, USA

Sep 142013

Silverado

I was coming home from my daughters soccer game with her and my ex-wife as passengers.we were approximately 50 miles from home traveling on the interstate when I applied my brakes and peddle went slowly to the floor. I managed to get slowed down and by quickly pumping my brakes I could get enough pressure to stop the truck. I phoned a friend and he brought a trailer and we hauled it home. I do a lot of my mechanic work because of garage cost. I replaced the one line, had another one rust out so replaced all 4 of them. Then just this past week I was going down my steep driveway approximately 1/8 mile long and brake line under radiator broke and had to use emergency brake to get stopped. I keep my truck clean underneath and on top and the frame is rusting so bad it's shamefull!! the bumpers and cab corners are rusting too.

- New Martinsville, WV, USA

Oct 022014

Silverado

Driving on the road at approx. 35 mph and had to make a abrupt stop. After making the abrupt stop, I proceeded down the road. The next time I pushed the brakes the pedal felt soft. After pulling to the side of the road and checking the vehicle there was a large amount of brake fluid coming from the rear of the vehicle. After futher inspection, I found that the rear metal brake line had rusted and busted open.

- Andersonville, TN, USA

Sep 122014

Silverado

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while attempting to come to a complete stop, the brakes failed to stop the vehicle and the emergency brake had to be engaged. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that all of the brake lines and fuel lines needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 21,000.

- Cheswick, PA, USA

Sep 102014

Silverado 4WD 6-cyl

Backing up small grade, applied brakes and the pedal felt soft, pumped brake second time and pedal went all the way to the extent of its travel. Drifted to level area checked brake fluid which was near empty. The brake line under driver side floor area along frame rail had burst. The lines are rusted and flaking. Had vehicle towed to independent repair shop as I did not find a recall on this. Repair shop indicated that this is a normal problem for this make/ model vehicle.

- Fairmont, WV, USA