7.5

2. new pistons, rings, crankshaft baffle, valve covers (1 reports)
2008 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado:

2008 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

May 152014

Silverado LT 5.3L

BURNING OIL AT 3 QUARTS BETWEEN OIL CHANGES. AND STARTING TO HEAR A RATTLE IN THE ENGINE.

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 152013

Silverado V8

I have had my 2008 Silverado 1500 for 3 years and have LOVED it until this past 2-3 months. It has started using excessive oil (NO leaks anywhere). The engine performance is awful. I tow a little 16 ft travel trailer and was thinking the trailer was too heavy (although it was just fine a year ago). I drove the pickup (no trailer) to Montana recently and had to go over 3 passes to get to Helena. Yikes, I was wondering if I would make it to the top of the pass. I put 1200 miles on the truck with this trip and I had to add a quart of oil before leaving Helena. In the 3 years of owning this pickup I have NEVER had to add oil in between oil changes and I do use a synthetic oil as I understand it runs cooler and I can go a bit longer between oil changes. I don't put 10,000 miles a year on my truck and these problems just doesn't seem normal to me.

I am NOT a happy camper. I have an appointment to take it to the dealer this week and am sure hoping for some satisfaction. I have read on several sites regarding complaints of this nature. This is the first Chevy I have ever owned and it may be the last!

- , Moses Lake, WA, USA

Oct 022012

Silverado LT 5.3L

My 2008 Silverado has been using oil at a rate of 2-3 quarts between oil changes. I use the oil monitor, but change it early most times. I use high quality 5w30 oil. The latest check today now puts it at about a quart every 1000 miles. I bought this truck new to be my keep it til I die truck. Now I am concerned that keeping it - even if GM repairs it - will be nothing but trouble later. Using oil like this is not normal. I will be at a dealer this week to get an answer to my concerns and determine if they will do the repair. I'll post their response. GM closed my long time dealer so this will be a relatively new experience. My family has purchased 10 chevy's (6 cars - 5 new, 1 used - and 3 trucks - 2 new, 1 used) since 1995, but I doubt there will ever be another one.

- , Monongahela, PA, USA

Sep 122012

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

Okay, noticed when I started my truck recently it blew out a bunch of smoke from the exhaust, and I have also noticed it has been using excessive oil between oil changes, over two quarts easily. I just dropped it of at the dealer ship today, February 22nd, 2013. My 5 year 100,000 mile warranty is up in about three weeks, so I got it in just in time. I just received a phone call from the dealer, who I must say has been excellent through all of the issues I have had with my truck (Thanks Justin), my truck qualifies for a full warranty fix for this issue of excessive oil consumption. Now they are pulling the top end apart again, replacing the pistons, rings, and anything else that is worn, installing the retrofit kit that Chevy says to in the bulletin, which includes a crankshaft baffle, and new valve covers with baffles around the PCV areas. Now I wonder how long this truck will last, it's paid off in a few weeks. Will I end up with a payment every month consisting of repair bills? I love my truck, and do not want to get rid of it,but wow, I have had some issues with this thing!

- , Canyon Lake, CA, USA

Jan 012010

Silverado LT 5.3L

Is it true computer dumping into catalytic converter?

- , Pleasantville, OH, USA

Jul 072012

Silverado LT1 5.3L V8

I've owned my 2008 Silverado new from day one, and have always had the synthetic oil changed at the dealer. I was told that it is definitely okay to go by the oil life monitor in the dashboard. Usually, I take it in about ever 5,000 miles or so, but it's usually around 30% on the monitor. Only once was it into the high teens.

Anyway, I began hearing a 'rattle' especially when accelerating, so I mentioned it to the dealer at one of my routine oil changes. After finishing, they didn't mention anything about it, so I asked about the rattle. I was told that it was nothing and it was just the dipstick rubbing or rattling up against something (I can't remember the exact verbage used) which was making the noise. Well, the noise seemed to get quieter for a while, and then I took it back in for the next oil change. When they were done, I asked about that same noise that was getting progressively louder and louder. I was told that there was no oil on the dipstick. No metal shavings were found when the oil was drained, so no 'permanent damage' was done, apparently. I park in the same spot at home and at work and not one drop of oil has ever dripped from the truck. I was told to monitor it and take it back in after 1500 miles. I checked it weekly, and not an ounce was used at 1500 miles. I then took a trip up North and returned home at around 3000 miles since the last oil change. I checked it and the oil level was at the very bottom of the normal range on the dipstick. It seems to me that once the oil starts breaking down, it goes somewhere, probably out the exhaust. Oh, and the rattle is as loud, if not louder, than ever. Sounds like a lifter to me. Also, my cruise control works sporadically, when it wants to. My mileage is around 57,000 miles, so I am under the 60,000 mile warranty. I made an appointment to take it back in to get it checked out. This shouldn't be happening to a truck with less than 60,000 miles on it! I plan on keeping this truck until it dies, but I expected it to last more than 4 or 5 years.

- , Freeland, MI, USA

Jul 042012

Silverado LT EX CAB 5.3L

Out of the blue I got a low oil pressure error. Never had an oil issue before with this truck. I change the oil every 4 -5 K. When I checked the oil it did not read anything on the stick. It took 4 qt's to fill it. I checked the percent of oil life, it read 45%. After reading the 6 other complaints, it looks like there is a GM engineering problem with the engine. This engine drop 4 cylinders when on a open road for better gas mileage, my first thoughts were, that the engine was dumping to much oil to the cylinders that were shut down. Note: no smoke, no leaks, nothing to indicate I had a problem.

- , Barto, PA, USA

Jun 022011

Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4 X 4 5.3L

GM refused to acknowledge there was any problem. They claimed that 1 quart of oil consumption in 1500 miles was normal. Once, with all highway driving it burned a quart in just 800 miles. I threatened legal action before they agreed to put in new pistons, rings and connecting rods.

- , Fort Collins, CO, USA

Feb 112012

Silverado LTZ 5.3L

I baught my truck just before christmas and was told it had just had its oil changed. I noticed it was getting low and really gunky by late january. When I changed the oil it only had about 4 quarts in a 6 quart system.... It also has a slight knock sometimes that worries me, but not always. I say if chevy doesnt find a fix, they should at least re-emburse us for the high priced oil we have to put in the motor... I think chevy is a great truck, looks and performance, but if im giong to give my left nut to drive a new on they should make it right!! I'm giong to the dealer tomarrow to see if anything can be done.. if not i say we all get together, get a lawyer and find a sulution

- , Sheffield, IL, USA

Jun 042011

Silverado LTZ 5.3L V8

I love my Silverado except it uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. I've talked to the dealer and they say it is normal. How can using a quart of oil be normal. I've owned at least 12 different cars or suvs and this is the first one that has ever used oil when nothing else was wrong. This may be my first and last Chevy if they don't fix the problem.My wife's boss knows some that helps design the chevy engines and I'm calling him later today.... if I find out anything I'LL let you know.My son has an 2007 Silverado and my best friend has a 2007 avalanche and they both have the same problem.I believe this problem is wide spread and no one is doing anything about it!!!!!!

- , Wise, VA, USA

May 012011

Silverado LTZ 5.3L V8

Chevrolet seems to think that a quart of oil usage every 2000 miles is acceptable. Not with my next vehicle (Ford or Lexus) that's for sure.

- , Georgetown, KY, USA

Sep 222011

Silverado LT1 Vortec 4.8L V8

Been a Chevy buyer all my life (47 years...10 vehicles). Bought my 2008 Silverado 1500 LT1 brand new and always got regular maintenance & oil changes. No issues at all until Check Engine Light comes on...LOW OIL PRESSURE. I pull over, check oil level and THERE IS LITERALLY NO OIL ON THE STICK...BONE DRY. I limp into the nearest gas station and it took 4.5 quarts to bring the oil level to normal. UNBELIEVABLE considering I had oil & filter change 2 weeks prior and had no leaks and no evidence of leaks on underbody or suspension. Mechanic friend says Chevy has not issued a recall or an SB. Same mechanic friend says the computer control chip basically dumped the oil into the catalytic and it eventually burned off. He's seen this on many Chevy's every week, some not as lucky as me (didn't catch it in time and it cost them a new engine). THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME 2x now and my TRUCK ONLY HAS 65,000 MILES on it, with NO OIL LEAKS AT ALL. WHERE DID ALL THE OIL GO if not into the catalytic? Now I keep 6 quarts of oil as back-up in my truck at all times just it case! COME ON GMC/CHEVY > issue a recall and fix this widespread problem. It may not be a safety issue > but it is a very costly issue if not caught in time. My next truck will not be a GMC/Chevy.

- , Dryden, MI, USA

Aug 012010

Silverado Lt Crew Cab 5.3L

since last year has started using oil mostly interstate driving but it sucks ass ! every 2 tanks of gas I usually put 2 or 3 qts of oil in the truck ! besides that i love my truck runs good tows good the SOB just burns too damn much oil..... I had an ol 78 gmc with a bazillion miles on it of course a new cam was needed because of wear but never used this kind of oil in the day and age of tighter tolerances and "higher quality" standards .

- , Morgantown, WV, USA