2008 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems: internal engine knock

Internal Engine Knock

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

7.2

$1,425.00

1. new camshaft, lifters, rebuilt heads (4 reports)
2008 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado:

2008 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Nov 132008

Silverado LT 5.3L

My 2008 Silverado 4x4 truck had a ticking noise and a oil leak. I had the oil pump changed and also the oil valve lifter changed, that helped for a short time then it started again louder, ticking and running like the motor was out of time. Finding out the 8 cylinder / 4 cylinder mode was stuck on 4 cylinder mode. At this time I'm out of warranty and my truck runs like sh*t. Next, the mechanic tells me that I should rebuild the top end valve job and lifters, 2,400 dollars. After completing valve job my truck still was not working properly.

Cleared codes, forgot to mention that the service traction control was flashing on my display, still trying to clear codes while motor was running and running like sh*t still. Then the worst happens, the motor blows a hole through the block and I'm screwed. Come to find out the many Chevy owners experiencing the same problems, low oil pressure, ticking noise top end, service traction control flashing on display, stuck on 4 cylinder mode.

Nothing but problems. I spent $50,000 on a truck I can't use, now I'm going to buy a new motor. I hope this works. $5,000 more on my truck I don't have .. I've always been a CHEVY MAN! JUST MIGHT TURN TO FORD. HOPE YOUR LISTENING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS CHEVY

Paul Reyes, unhappy Chevy truck owner.

- , Chino, California, USA

Feb 032014

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

Knock in the motor. Took it to local Chevy dealer. Was told it was the lifters and camshaft. Was told it would cost $3900.00 to fix.Truck is out of the 5 year warranty but only has 61000 miles. Service adviser told me this is a known issue with the lifters which causes damage to the camshaft. I bitched and told him to call GM to see if they would cover the repairs out of warranty. I will be out of pocket $1200.00 to get this repaired.

There is a newer version of the lifters which will be placed in my motor. So if you have this problem just be aware the GM may cover some of the cost for repair.

- , Garland, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Silverado

I've owned my '08 Silverado for almost 2 years. About a week ago, I noticed a knock coming from the motor. Instantly, I thought it was the lifters. Took it to my trusted mechanic. Come to find out, it was bad oil. I always go to NTB for oil changes. I was using Valvoline. My mechanic found that the oil looked like somebody had poured a bag of sand in my motor. He said he had never seen anything like it before. I switched to Mobil1 Synthetic. No more knocks. Fixed the problem right up.

- , Carroll, OH, USA

Apr 142013

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

Hi !! I have a silverado 2008 1500 and I heard a sound and I went to my mechanic to see what was doing that sound. and he put the computer and he said there was nothing ...so a went home but the sound was mild so 2 week after there the sound again and went to m mechanic and told him to check again .....There were nothind on the computer ...so today he doing a motor jods it was my camshaff felt down ...have to change it that gone a cost me 2800 dollars ....I not to glad ....is there something on the recalls.

thank !

- , Saint Isidore, New Brunswick, canada

Jan 192012

Silverado LT 5.3L V8

I was told by dealership that General Motors received a series of bad camshafts, they were not properly heat treated, causing lobes to prematurely go out, causing the lifters to go out, which in turn caused the knocking. Dealer removed top end, replaced camshaft, replaced lifters, rebuilt the heads, and installed all new gaskets etc. Covered under warranty. And the story continues and gets better. Please understand I do not have my truck right now, it's in the dealership for more work, so the actual dates and mileage are estimates.

- , Canyon Lake, CA, USA