2001 Chevrolet Suburban brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Suburban:

2001 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 172016

While thankfully driving at a low speed, my brakes completely failed with no warning..peddle went to the floor, I was able to stop by shifting the trans down to 2nd then 1st. Mechanic said knew exactly what the problem was when I explained what happened after I stopped, pumped the brakes and brake fluid flowed from under the truck generally under where the driver sits. Mechanic explained that the brake line broke and is very common, and that it just started showing up a few years ago when these "C" body trucks aged. I spoke to another mechanic at a Chevy dealership near my home and he said the same thing that it's very common and that GM now sells a kit for a compete brake-line system replacement because it has become so common. A few days before I had been driving at high speeds through the mountains on I-81 with a carload full of people, had this happened at that time it could have been catastrophic. Reviewing consumer complaints on your site I see this is a reoccurring compliant and I can't believe there has not been a recall on this, as there is no more important safety system on a automobile than brakes....Chevy had a recall on my 98' Buick for a valve cover gasket leaking that didn't come close to this potential danger.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jul 012016

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban. While driving approximately 5 mph, the anti-lock brakes activated without warning, which made the vehicle hard to stop. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not provided. The approximate failure mileage was 190,000.

- 601 Hamilton Dr, VA, USA

Mar 312016

Three times I had complete brake failure. Driving two times and had just arrived at my destination third time, which was today -- surprise!!!! had to slowly drive home, yet again, with no brakes!!!!!

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Jan 292016

Brake lines failed twice due to rust and corrosion because Chevy used a inferior steel product on all trucks from 1998 to 2005. The dealer repaired my 2002 Avalanche for $600 to replace all the brake lines. However they will not repair my 2001 Suburban which has the same problems. GM needs to re-call any vehicle or at least make a repair kit and installation at a reduced rate because this vehicle is unsafe to drive. This is not due to owner error of washing the frame during winter or winter maintenance. There is new lines that are coated to resist corosion and were used to repair my Avalanche. My 2001 Suburban brake lines failed in motion while in traffic applying the brake petal to stop.

- Hiwassee, VA, USA

Aug 202015

I was applying the brakes on my 2001 Chevrolet Suburban, model 2500, as I turned into my driveway. The brakes failed to engage. This resulted in the vehicle running into the front of the garage. The brakes now appear to be working fine. The brakes have failed on previous occasions, but never to the point of allowing the vehicle to hit anything. According to the GM dealer, they can't fix the problem without a failure code in the computer. An independent service garage said the same.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Aug 062015

Complete break failure. Break pedal went to floor and almost killed my family. Noticed leaking break fluid coming out of rusted break line under vehicle.

- Hebron, MD, USA

Jul 012014

The ABS activate without reason when I slow to a stop. The problem began infrequently and I attributed it to possible slippery surface conditions. Over the past year the problem has gotten much worse and happens frequently now. Research indicates that this is a known problem and the subject of a recall for "snow" states - like DC and Maryland which are just across the potomac river from where I live and use my Suburban. This is the second serious brake issue with this vehicle. All three brake lines have been replaced over an approximate 18 month period two years ago as a result of sudden brake failure caused by corroded brake lines. This is also a well known problem (though not one I was aware of when my brakes failed and were repaired). My research indicates that many owners have suffered from these problems. The NHTSA should further investigate these problems and expand/initiate recalls for these problems.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Feb 042015

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

I was traveling around 40mph on a local road on my way from dropping the kids off at school. I tried to slow down to turn onto my street, and the Suburban brakes did not respond at all. Thankfully, there was nobody ahead of me, and I slowed the truck gradually. I then idled back home, without any functionality in my brakes. Upon inspection, we discovered the brake lines had ruptured. All maintenance is and had been up to date.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Jan 262014

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

I pulled into a parking lot and proceeded to park my Suburban. I hit the brake pedal and the brakes did not work. They pulsate and gave out completely. No service lights or warning light came on previous to the incident. When the brakes didn't work I tried to pump them to get them to work but nothing worked and my Suburban smashed into a bush and over the curb. I just had my brake lines replaces which was quoted $1700 at my local Chevrolet dealership. I am no looking into the issues with the ABS system.

- Pelham , NH, USA

Jan 062015

Chevrolet has continued to ignore the ABS brake issue within the brake control module. This is separate from their wheel sensor issue.the brake control module.has a circuit board issue which deactivates the ABS system and shows a brake and ABS light on snow today my ABS failed and I slid through an intersection narrowly missing a school bus a F$%^ing school bus.there is so much info on this issue on the internet but Chevrolet seem to be ignoring it.the problem is centered around a circuit board in the brake control module.

- Newburgh, NY, USA

Jan 012014

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle was shifted into drive and the vehicle failed to move forward. The contact also stated that the brake warning light illuminated. On another occasion while driving at approximately 5 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The mechanic also stated that the anti lock brake system failed and unknown parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the anti lock brake system failure but the fuel pump was not replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and 05V155000 (fuel system, gasoline). The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- West Brook, CT, USA

Dec 062013

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

While driving in traffic loss of braking due to ruptured brake line. Upon inspection all line had severe corrosion resulting in replacement of all brake lines.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Nov 032014

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Brake line ruptured causing loss of braking ability resulting in car passing through red light.

- Hesston, KS, USA

Nov 042014

Suburban 8-cyl

Brake lines severely corroded and blew out. Severe corrosion under truck too.

- Raynham, MA, USA

May 012012

Brakes failed while driving. Repair was brake lines rusted. Cost to replace brake system was $2500.

- Olney, MD, USA

Aug 292013

Lost total brakes. Service shop noted severe brake line rusting. Repaired ruptured brake line. Truck will be undergoing total brake line replacement due to rusting.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Aug 232014

Suburban 8-cyl

Driving approx 50 mph on 4 lane highway. When slowing for red light ahead, noticed brake pedal going closer to floor than normal. Vehicle was not slowing as normal, and brake pedal was staying close to the floor. Got stopped and pulled to side of road. Check of master cylinder revealed brake fluid level to be approx. Half full. Upon checking under vehicle, I saw brake fluid pouring out from the gas tank shield.

- Rillton, PA, USA

Jun 132014

Suburban 8-cyl

While driving through downtown bethesda, brake pedal lost pressure all the way to the floor, resulting in extended stopping distance through an intersection. Pulled over and noted fluid leakage under front right side of car. Drove car to dealer at 5mph; identified extensive rust through brake lines. Car was not drivable. I was charged $430 for parts and $2351 for labor to 'completely rebuild brake lines manually' because GM stopped making the kit. Total $2808 and nine days out of service.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Jun 182014

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban. While driving approximately 60 mph, the brakes failed. The failure occurred multiple times. A local mechanic stated that the brake lines were rusted. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Spencerville , MD, USA

Jul 032014

Suburban 8-cyl

Brakes failed on a rural road but I was able to stop. Tried to push the brakes like normal, but they went all the way to the floor. I was able to stop, but with much difficulty. Took it to the shop and even though I just had new brake pads, rotors and calipers put on, I need to but new brake lines in which is over $1000. Sudden brake failure is the most dangerous thing that can happen in a car. I was lucky to be on a rural stretch of road where I was able to stop without hurting myself or other people.

- Pemaquid, ME, USA